Expected 22 LR accuracy šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

We are about out of 22s. Have a 70 year Savage Pump, but it hangs on the wall. Sold all the ones we refurbished (charged almost lee that materials-should have kept the). The TC Classic semi auto that's in NEW condition. Shoots Remington YellowJackets 40gr hollow points in one hole @50. I saved up 8 bricks before they became unobtainable. Have a Votquartsen Custom with a thumbhole stock in 17HMR. Shoots GREAT for squirrels, coons, armadillos bobcat. Its our 'Go to rifle" for varmints around the house. Got 8 bricks of 40 gr XPT
A bunch of my PRS friends all got 22 LR for mini matches to save on shooting Berger 105 Hybrids. I am thinking about building one. Get a good barrel, Action, trigger, chassis and scope. I don't know how cost effective with $3K in a rim fire rifle But I guess that you can shoot thousands of rounds and not worry about burning out the barrel.
I saw a photo of your powder supply a couple of months ago,and was drooling. I have a love affair with rimfires. My rimfire ammo supply resembles your powder supply. I have 100 round boxes that are still marked at $1,89.

They are filled with more costly rounds,I just reuse the boxes. We had a Pamida go out of business years ago and I stopped after work and left with a shopping cart full of 22 ammo. I've shot most of that up,but have since ran across some good deals. Have an old Browning T bolt that shoots 50 yard 1 hole groups with about any ammo you run through it.

If you build a rimfire do yourself a favor and start with a rimfire action. Have a friend that converted an XP100 to rimfire for an unlimited silhouette pistol. It was a big job. He had a Wichita 4 position sight on it. Was a really nice job.

I saw a photo of your powder supply a couple of months ago,and was drooling. I have a love affair with rimfires. My rimfire ammo supply resembles your powder supply. I have 100 round boxes that are still marked at $1,89.

They are filled with more costly rounds,I just reuse the boxes. We had a Pamida go out of business years ago and I stopped after work and left with a shopping cart full of 22 ammo. I've shot most of that up,but have since ran across some good deals. Have an old Browning T bolt that shoots 50 yard 1 hole groups with about any ammo you run through it.

If you build a rimfire do yourself a favor and start with a rimfire action. Have a friend that converted an XP100 to rimfire for an unlimited silhouette pistol. It was a big job. He had a Wichita 4 position sight on it. Was a really nice job.
Thanks for the reply and info on rimfire. Definitly one of the next builds will be a rimfire 22. I need to start looking for an action and barrel. Most of the shooters I know from PRS are using VUDU for their rimfire.

Mighty fine shooting for sure by all, as long as I can hit fur I'm good even out to 100 yards, check this shot out. All dropped with a 22 at 100, and 110 yards head shots only a walk in the park stick shows entrance, and I guess one took a CCI Velocitor between the his eyes, off by a hair only.All were shot over bait.
This is exactly why i just got my Anschutz 1761 in 22 wmr. Smack some dogs in NJ

Attachments

• 20220303_065352.jpg
    20220303_065352.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
Everything matters. Trigger, chamber, crown, bedding, stock fit, etc...
I try to keep it under 1 moa out to 200 yards. Not insanely hard once you get it down and find the right ammo.

I have a couple of Savages(TR and BVSS) that shoot exceptionally well at long range once. I use a Vortex AMG 6x24x50 for the long shots. Both rifles have perform nicely using Lapua Center X and Federal HV Match have served well for Rimfire PRS on targets out to 400 yards, and critters between 200 and 300 yards, my longest shot being a crow at 275 yards. My G7 BR2 ballistic RF is nuts-on, enabling first shot LR hitsā€¦once calibrated for the right BC/Velocity.
5C39627D-D960-477D-B19E-C5FCC4978D69.jpeg
DA50D4D4-2924-42F7-8535-CF6FB1FFEDFF.jpeg
883EB983-C6E1-4FA7-9F94-01A53356272E.jpeg

I found last fall while testing ammo, just because it shoots lights out at 50 yards, it may not shoot worth a crap at 300 yards. I was lucky both days I tested ammo for 2 rifles, where I could group at 50 and then try at 300 yards. Doing so eliminated some fine shooting ammo.
Your rifle will be different, but no Ely ammo made the cut, Tenex, Match, Target, Club, all I had. Lapua Center X worked great in one rifle, terrible in the other.
SK rifle match was great to 100, fell off fast, but SK standard plus did it all in my Bergara.
SK long range was one of the worst in both guns, and SK high velocity stunk in both also, father out I went, worse it got, contrary to what others have said about it.

Last edited:
I found last fall while testing ammo, just because it shoots lights out at 50 yards, it may not shoot worth a crap at 300 yards. I was lucky both days I tested ammo for 2 rifles, where I could group at 50 and the try at 300 yards. Doing so eliminated some fine shooting ammo.
Your rifle will be different, but no Ely ammo made the cut, Tenex, Match, Target, Club, all I had. Lapua Center X worked great in one rifle, terrible in the other.
SK rifle match was great to 100, fell off fast, but SK standard plus did it all in my Bergara.
SK long range was one of the worst in both guns, and SK high velocity stunk in both also, father out I went, worse it got, contrary to what others have said about it.
And it doesn't even have to be that far out from 50. Yes I'm shooting my 22wmr but still same idea. I get bug holes at 50 with 1 ammo, and just at 100 it goes to 2" crazy, But true. You absolutely have to verify at extended ranges to be sure.

Back in the Gorbachev days when Russian match ammo was available and you didn't feel like a heel buying it we used it in Oregon shooting indoor range. From prone we would hunt a pencil point at 50 feet. the good shooters could hit it most of the time. Lately we've worked with the rimfire less than we perhaps should, but an inch at 100 with a scoped 10-22 is on the good side. my kid usually tosses 3 or 4 inch groups with bulk ammo putzing around.

My Ruger Precision only has about 500 down the tube,but the groups seem to be getting smaller. Wasn't real impressed at first,but starting to get really attached to that cost effective little gun.
the rifle won't wear in for several thousand rounds. Most of what you are seeing is you getting better at shooting it. People usually do more wear on a 22 rimfire cleaning it than shooting it.

And it doesn't even have to be that far out from 50. Yes I'm shooting my 22wmr but still same idea. I get bug holes at 50 with 1 ammo, and just at 100 it goes to 2" crazy, But true. You absolutely have to verify at extended ranges to be sure.
Another peculiarity I found was, CCI SV shoots comparable to SK Standard Plus in my Bergara B14R, not equal, comparable to 300 yards. Until a 7-8 mph crosswind comes up, SV will not shoot in that rifle in wind, even at 100 yards. And a right to left wind is 4X worse. I just switch ammo and roll.

We are about out of 22s. Have a 70 year Savage Pump, but it hangs on the wall. Sold all the ones we refurbished (charged almost lee that materials-should have kept the). The TC Classic semi auto that's in NEW condition. Shoots Remington YellowJackets 40gr hollow points in one hole @50. I saved up 8 bricks before they became unobtainable. Have a Votquartsen Custom with a thumbhole stock in 17HMR. Shoots GREAT for squirrels, coons, armadillos bobcat. Its our 'Go to rifle" for varmints around the house. Got 8 bricks of 40 gr XPT
A bunch of my PRS friends all got 22 LR for mini matches to save on shooting Berger 105 Hybrids. I am thinking about building one. Get a good barrel, Action, trigger, chassis and scope. I don't know how cost effective with $3K in a rim fire rifle But I guess that you can shoot thousands of rounds and not worry about burning out the barrel.
Those TC's are an incredible value; I can't believe they didn't sell well enough to continue production. I have the Benchmark and Classic, they will be around for my kids to squabble over one day.
Best Regards and God Bless, Col