Hybrid LR Hunting/ Match Rifle Project

Tex_Hunter

Working on consolidating some of the rifles I own and as the title suggests, looking to build a sort of hybrid/ dual purpose long range hunting rifle that could pull duty as a match rifle if wanted.

The idea would be to combine two rifles I currently own into a single platform that works well in both roles (yes I know there'd still be compromises) with limited need to purchase a lot of new parts and minimize time spent at a gunsmith, and hopefully have some cash leftover, after parting out/selling what I don't use, to fund another project I'm trying to finish up.

The two rifles are:

Rifle 1 is a dedicated/purpose built match rig built by Stuteville Precision on an impact 737R action in 6.5 Creedmoor, Bartlein M24 contour 1:8 twist barrel finished at 26" with an Area 419 hellfire Match brake, stock is a Manners PRS-TCS stock with a TT Diamond Pro Curve trigger, topped with a ZCO 527 in a Spuhr mount… rifle is an absolute beast weighing in at basically 21lbs, hammers 147gr ELDMs at 2800fps into .3 MOA (or better) all day long, however it's way too heavy for taking out in the field and I am not shooting nearly as many PRS style matches as I used to before I moved so I don't need/ want such a dedicated rig for the foreseeable future

Rifle 2 was built by Accurate Ordnance on their own branded Stiller Tac-30 action, it started life as a 6.5 Creedmoor but when I bought the Stuteville rifle (was shooting 4-5 matches a year at the time) I ordered a replacement Magnum bolt from Stiller and had the barrel set back and re-chambered to 6.5 PRC by Mark Pharr at Tumbleweeds Custom Rifles in Austin TX. I've made a few changes but otherwise it's basically as built by AO, barrel is a Rock Creek Sendero profile 1:8 twist currently @ 23.5" after the re-chamber, stock is a McMillan A5 pillar bedded with a badger M5 bottom metal, I added a McMillan adjustable LOP spacer system and some T nuts to mount an Area 419 ARCA rail to it and swapped the original Timney Elite Hunter trigger for a TT Diamond Pro Curve, currently topped with a spare US Optics LR17 in Seekins rings, haven't had loaded for it yet but pushing 143gr ELD-X Copper Creek factory loads at ~3100fps ~0.5 MOA and used to kill a medium sized 10pt buck at 889yds last year on a trip back to TX. Overall this rifle fits the "dual purpose" role far better but given my new state of residence and having to leave all of my suppressors behind, the barrel is shorter than I would like on this cartridge, and the Stiller action is lacking some of the features that I like on the Impact, namely the integrated top rail and recoil lug and the ability to swap barrels/run prefits more easily

Other parts I currently have on hand, 26" Bartein Carbon fiber 6.5mm 1:7.5" twist blank. I have a ton of 1x fired brass so probably would want this chambered in 6.5 PRC.

Options I am considering…

Option 1: sell the Stuteville/Impact 6.5 Creedmoor as is, and have the longer carbon fiber blank cut for the Stiller action but leave everything else on that rifle as is, and while it's at the smith have a similar barrel cut (doesn't have to be Creedmoor, but heavily invested in that cartridge from a components and load data perspective so would probably stay with that) in a standard short action match caliber so that I can swap that in for higher volume practice or if I want to shoot a PRS style match still on occasion. Only downside is needing to send it to the smith to have new barrels cut/installed and as already mentioned the Stiller doesn't have some of the features that the Impact has.

Option 2: Sell/part out the AO rifle and swap a more field appropriate stock onto the Impact action (thinking either a Manners T4A w/ mini chassis or just have my McMillan A5 re-bedded to the Impact action), keep the Creedmoor barrel as is and have my Carbon Fiber blank chambered in 6.5 PRC and order a magnum bolt from Impact so that I'd have a true switch barrel setup. My guess is that it'll still be a touch on the heavy side, but still reasonable for what I want to do.

Option 3: I currently also have an Impact 787R that I am building up as a backcountry elk hunting rifle in 300PRC (I have the barrel already just waiting on a stock and other misc parts to finish, purpose of this exercise is to free up some cash to finish this build too) I could have the blank for the 6.5 PRC cut for this action, sell the AO rifle and keep the Stuteville match rig as is, not sure what issues I'd run into running a 6.5 PRC in a long action though, and the 300 build is going to be more weight conscious and the combination of optic/stock I plan to run won't be as well suited for prone LR shooting that I'd do with the 6.5 PRC.

Curious for any thoughts/ opinions as I've definitely analyzed this one to death on my own and would love any additional points to consider from everyone on here?

I am a big fan of switch barrel set ups. I run a bighorn action just for that reason and have no plans to do anything different. I run a chassis with folder for compact carry and transport, rifle with suppressor is 8lbs 14 oz or just over 8 lbs with no can. I run short barrels with can's so weight will vary with barrel length considerations. To me the option of having a bolt head and switch barrel allows me to reduce the need for complete rifle set ups that run 5-7k. I can swap a barrel and be on my way to a match, elk hunt, predator hunt, or plinking steel at a LR class for kids in a 223.

I have no desire nor need for a 300 anything with a 6.5 PRC in the safe. That rifle will do it all just fine unless hunting grizzly. I know this is a long range page so it is a bit counter to the page, but if it is too far for the PRC then it might be just too far period. I completely understand the 300 is considerably more powerful that the 6.5, I just don't feel the need for it for "me". However, if you desire the larger bore magnum for a hunt I'd consider the long action and run the 6.5, it should cycle just fine. I ran 243/6.5 creed in a long action for PRS. No issues at all. Swap barrels for the elk hunt and call it good. I will say tho, the 300 PRC I built needed a 338 CIP length to run the 225's.

I am a big fan of switch barrel set ups. I run a bighorn action just for that reason and have no plans to do anything different. I run a chassis with folder for compact carry and transport, rifle with suppressor is 8lbs 14 oz or just over 8 lbs with no can. I run short barrels with can's so weight will vary with barrel length considerations. To me the option of having a bolt head and switch barrel allows me to reduce the need for complete rifle set ups that run 5-7k. I can swap a barrel and be on my way to a match, elk hunt, predator hunt, or plinking steel at a LR class for kids in a 223.

I have no desire nor need for a 300 anything with a 6.5 PRC in the safe. That rifle will do it all just fine unless hunting grizzly. I know this is a long range page so it is a bit counter to the page, but if it is too far for the PRC then it might be just too far period. I completely understand the 300 is considerably more powerful that the 6.5, I just don't feel the need for it for "me". However, if you desire the larger bore magnum for a hunt I'd consider the long action and run the 6.5, it should cycle just fine. I ran 243/6.5 creed in a long action for PRS. No issues at all. Swap barrels for the elk hunt and call it good. I will say tho, the 300 PRC I built needed a 338 CIP length to run the 225's.
I have a set up similar to you. Except i have a 300 wsm and a 338 ss barrel also for mine. Taking the 338ss for brown bear in 2 weeks
My set up originated with a sr3 action and 5 different barrels from benchmark, ranging from 22 creed 6gt 6.5ss 300wsm and the 338 ss
I originally bought a gunwerks magnus stock from here and put a tangent theta lrh scope on it
I have since added a chassis, a tl3 action, ti3 action, manners ph stock, a rimx barrel action and a few more scopes
i can swap all of these around to any configuration in about 10 min
Load data is the same for all
Gives me a ton of flexibility for whatever I want to do

I have a couple stand alone rifles, but they get used less and less

I'd keep that 6.5 match rifle as is, run the 300 prc for hunting, sell everything else, and If you still feel the need for a 6.5 prc buy a seekins ph2 for $1800
This is the direction I am sort of leaning, the 6.5 PRC is definitely the easiest caliber to divest of the 3 mentioned above as I haven't invested in tools or components to reload it yet.

The 300PRC would be a touch overkill though for antelope and deer which is what I was using the 6.5PRC for, and the current planned build of the 300 is more geared to backpacking and shooting off shooting sticks or a pack at 400-500yds (easily enough to address by picking a different stock of course) vs. some of the 800yds+ shots I have the opportunity for with the 6.5PRC setup. The Creedmoor would work for some of that with slightly less margin on velocity/energy (impact velocity on the buck I shot at 889yds was ~1840fps out of the 23.5" PRC, would figure same bullet in the Creedmoor will be 150-200fps slower, which still falls inside of the minimum velocity from Hornady for the ELD-X but won't have the option to really stretch it farther like the PRC would allow). The Creedmoor would also need to go on a bit of a diet if I want to use it for anything other than driving out to a spot I plan to hunt from (fine for the ranch in TX where I go most, but probably not for the less frequent times I head to Wyoming for antelope).

Either way, will probably list the AO for sale here and then go from there depending on how quickly that moves.

Last edited:
Personally I'd keep the 737 rifle the way it is for target shooting and build your 300PRC out and just run it for hunting in general and send the Stiller down the road. Yeah it's overkill for a lot of things but who cares? Dead is dead. Or split it down the middle and do a 7PRC instead.

Switch barrel stuff is cool but most people tend to leave a switch barrel mainly as one configuration unless it's just incredibly easy to swap and repeatable like an AI or something.

Switch barrel stuff is cool but most people tend to leave a switch barrel mainly as one configuration unless it's just incredibly easy to swap and repeatable like an AI or something.
Yeah, the way I see switch barrel rifles working is more of a seasonal use setup.

One of the guys I hunt with has a 300PRC that was built by APA on a Defiance Deviant, he has two barrels and 2 stocks for it; a 22" carbon fiber 1:9 twist that he runs in a McMillan Game Scout, suppressed for Elk hunting and then swaps over to a 30" MTU contour with an APA brake (can't remember if it's faster twist or not) and an MPA chassis that he uses for fun/ELR practice in the off season. Around August he switches to the hunting setup and then back to the ELR setup Jan/Feb timeframe and otherwise leaves it alone.

Was looking to do something similar here but probably get a stock that just works for both LR hunting and matches, which is obviously still possible if I hang onto the barrel blank I already have on hand. Would just need to chamber it and get a spare bolt.

Yeah, the way I see switch barrel rifles working is more of a seasonal use setup.

One of the guys I hunt with has a 300PRC that was built by APA on a Defiance Deviant, he has two barrels and 2 stocks for it; a 22" carbon fiber 1:9 twist that he runs in a McMillan Game Scout, suppressed for Elk hunting and then swaps over to a 30" MTU contour with an APA brake (can't remember if it's faster twist or not) and an MPA chassis that he uses for fun/ELR practice in the off season. Around August he switches to the hunting setup and then back to the ELR setup Jan/Feb timeframe and otherwise leaves it alone.

Was looking to do something similar here but probably get a stock that just works for both LR hunting and matches, which is obviously still possible if I hang onto the barrel blank I already have on hand. Would just need to chamber it and get a spare bolt.

You can do that but why not just have a great target rifle and a great hunting rifle?

If I was doing that 300 PRC build I'd have Wade cut me a 20-24" (depending on if you're going to run a can or not) #3B with deep spiral flutes and drop it in a Manners PH and call it a day.

You can still use it for having some ELR fun too if you want to stretch out further than the 6.5CM is capable of. The 6.5 with the right bullet is capable of shooting to a mile with the right bullets too. At ELR distances the biggest hurdle is just spotting hits and misses and running a 6.5PRC for that really isn't getting you a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. You're still trying to spot 6.5's at very far distances.

If anything I'd have that 6.5 blank spun up for your 737 and have a lighter configuration for it. You could get a Manners PH for it as well and have two nearly identical rifles.

You can do that but why not just have a great target rifle and a great hunting rifle?

If I was doing that 300 PRC build I'd have Wade cut me a 20-24" (depending on if you're going to run a can or not) #3B with deep spiral flutes and drop it in a Manners PH and call it a day.

You can still use it for having some ELR fun too if you want to stretch out further than the 6.5CM is capable of. The 6.5 with the right bullet is capable of shooting to a mile with the right bullets too. At ELR distances the biggest hurdle is just spotting hits and misses and running a 6.5PRC for that really isn't getting you a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. You're still trying to spot 6.5's at very far distances.

If anything I'd have that 6.5 blank spun up for your 737 and have a lighter configuration for it. You could get a Manners PH for it as well and have two nearly identical rifles.
Sorry, should have clarified better in my original post, but yeah, that's more or less exactly what I did/plan on doing, the 300PRC will be my standalone rifle of the bunch (unless I get a bug for a different LA round in the future) already have the barreled action for it, 787R with a 24" Bartlein Carbon Fiber 1:9tw and planning on putting it in a Foundation Revelation stock (may go with Manners EH1A instead).

Preference was definitely to have the 6.5 Blank spun up as an alternate on the 737R, the decision was really leaning more around which SA rifle to sell/keep (should have left the 787 option off of the original post entirely). I still might want a different stock on that though, the PRS-TCS is a heavy sumb****! I got the idea from my friend, but wanted to apply it to an SA round instead.

Last edited:
A foundation is a terrible choice for a back country hunting rifle. The revelation is like 4lbs alone with no bottom metal. You're going to end up with a 12lbs + rifle setup that will suck to pack if you go that route. You already have a heavy action and barrel that aren't the most ideal components for a backcountry build, I'd be looking to cut as much weight off of it as possible moving forward.

A foundation is a terrible choice for a back country hunting rifle. The revelation is like 4lbs alone with no bottom metal. You're going to end up with a 12lbs + rifle setup that will suck to pack if you go that route. You already have a heavy action and barrel that aren't the most ideal components for a backcountry build, I'd be looking to cut as much weight off of it as possible moving forward.
I'm definitely notsold on the Foundation yet. Mainly because I haven't been able to handle one yet. I like the ergos/fit of Manners stocks so that's the more logical choice, but I do really like the faux-wood look of the foundation, and wouldn't mind the extra weight for soaking up recoil. There's about 2lbs between the options I'm considering, last trip I took to Colorado I was carrying a borrowed rifle that was built to similar specs but in the Manners EH1A and my general feeling is that 2 extra pounds wouldnt be a deal breaker all else being equal (I've got well more than that currently that I need to trim off my waistline).

Disagree on the weight of the barrel though, comparing Bartlein's specs, my #14/M24 carbon fiber is allegedly 9-10oz lighter than a comparable length #3B; I haven't weighed both but subjectively in the hand this blank with an A419 hellfire brake installed, feels comparable if not ever so slightly lighter than the 26" #3B with 6 deep straight flutes than I am running on a different rifle (280 Rem).

You can get a McMillan game warden mcwoody if you want a light stock with a wood look and it will weigh half of the foundation.

A 24" Bartlein CF M24 finished out should be 3.25-3.5lbs, that's a heavy barrel by backcountry rifle standards. You can get a 24" 3B with deep spiral flutes down to that or under. My 6.5 3B 20" with deep spiral flutes was under 3lbs.

You can get a McMillan game warden mcwoody if you want a light stock with a wood look and it will weigh half of the foundation.

A 24" Bartlein CF M24 finished out should be 3.25-3.5lbs, that's a heavy barrel by backcountry rifle standards. You can get a 24" 3B with deep spiral flutes down to that or under. My 6.5 3B 20" with deep spiral flutes was under 3lbs.
Good tips, and really enjoying the back and forth.

Also thanks to you I've gone down the rabbit hole on the Manners PH and LRH models (both 1lbs lighter than the EH1A I've shot off of on the rifle I borrowed before and may or may not have drunkenly ordered an LRH long action stock from Altus tonight (in Highlands camo so it matches the TCS on the Creedmoor)… doh! Going the wrong direction here, supposed to be selling not buying 😆