Rifle Project

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Q-Optics,

Please understand that I am not trying to discourage you from your idea, but I have seen this happen time and again with shooters who have switch barrel rifled built.

Especially in a case such as your where the two uses for the same action are so starkly different.

I would highly recommend spending another $300-$350 and just get another action, I would recommend a Rem if you are using the RUM cases and build two completely seperate rifles.

With the expense you will have in this project, another $300 will not be much more and you will have the best of both worlds.

Having a switch barrel set up where only the barrel is changed and all else left as is is one thing, What you have in mind is having two rifles with a switch "Action".

Your choice of componants are great, I would just highly recommend goin gwith two seperate actions from the get go!

Just my opinion, I would much rather spend the extra money then have to deal with all the scope switching and rezeroing and all that other stuff.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

Thanks for the input, I've been thinking the same thing. It wouldn't be switched very often, it would spend most of the time as the LR version. I'm kind of rideing the fence on that one. It'll be hard enough getting one new gun past the misses, but two, man I'd be in the dog house for sure.

Jim

Ok, I'm open for suggestions here.

I'm having a rifle built for a cape buff hunt but I also want to convert it to a long range paper puncher. It is going to be chambered in the .400 Tembo which is based on a .404 Jeffery case. I want to be able to which stocks, barrel, and scopes and have two rifles in one. I'm undesided what caliber to use for the long range barrel. The case head needs to be the same as the .400 Tembo to work(.537 bolt face). I'm thinking maybe the .300 RUM, .338 RUM or neck down the Tembo .30-404.

Specs. on Tembo:
Win. M70 SS Ultra length action.(blue printed)
.400 Krieger SS match grade barrel.(African contour w/barrel band)
Hunting stock.(Wood painted tact. black and bedded.)
Badger rail mount.
Little scope.(1.1-4x26 or 2-12x32)

Long Range Specs.:
McMillain A-5 Stock
Krieger Heavy barrel w/break
BIG!! scope(9-36x56 or 6-24x50)

Any ideas or suggestions would be apperciated.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

I've been spoiled by my 5.5 x 22.5 and 6 X 24 power target scopes 56mm.

So when I needed a needed a scope for my .458 I just ordered a 2.8 X10 44mm objective. Right off the first thing that I noted is I never used it down below 6x even on @120 yard shots.

I just like to see the bullet impact and the dust fly off their hide where you have the cross hairs.

I only use three bullets, 405 gr barnes x and the 510 round nose in solids and soft points.

Years ago before the .400 plus rules in most of the African countries for dangerous game. My Dad hunted with a 300 win mag and took quite a few cape buffalo. In my opinion the 416's and 458 are hard to beat. I'm not really familiar with your caliber. So I would suggest trying a few scopes and maybe you see what I'm talking about. At least 44 mm to have a larger field of view. You might also be taking some 250+ yard shots at grazzing animals and then you will wish you had 10+ power.

[ 10-04-2004: Message edited by: budlight ]

Budlight, I appreciate your insight.

I tend to like the lower powered scopes for my off hand shooting, I get much over about 6x and those crosshair just start dance'n all over the place, which doesn't do much for my confidence. Especially when you have and angry 2000lb buff staring you down and your quiver'n like a dog ****'n peach seeds.

shocked.gif

I have several scopes that just may fit the ticket. I'll do a little experimenting and see what works best for me.

Here's a little info on the .400 Tembo.

It is brain child of several of the industries top people. At the SCI show in 2000 Edd Woslum of Evolution USA, Randy Brooks of Barnes Bullets, Dr. Keven Robertson, author of The Perfect Shot, wildlife veterinarian, and professional hunter, and John Krieger of Krieger barrels, got together and set out to develop a cartridge that is big enough to use on the largest of dangerous game but will still maintain a suitable trajectory for taking plains game out to 250+.

They set a few goals that it must meet:

Muzzle Energy: 4000lbs. +

Sectional Density: .310+

Momentum Value: 115 Pounds/FPS

Recoil: 50 foot pounds or less

Trajectory: 2" high at 100 no more than 4" low at 200.

Knock Out Value:45+

They decided on a 404 Jeffery case neck down to a true .40 cal, and the .400 Tembo is born.

.400 Tembo
350gr. Barnes X
Dia.-.400
Vel.-2300
ME.-4111
MV.-115
SD.-.312
Rec.-45
Drop. 2.5"
KO.- 46

Hawk bullets is also makes a couple bullets for it 375gr. and a 250gr.

With the initial tests the Tembo was shooting .75" to .5" groups, not bad for an elephant gun.

Jim

[ 10-04-2004: Message edited by: Q-Optics ]

Fifty driver--"With the expense you will have in this project, another $300 will not be much more and you will have the best of both worlds." Surely you are joking....You must be a gunsmith or sell scopes or something.

Q--With advice like that you could really be mislead. The true cost of NOT Building a switch barrel is quite different than $300.

300.00 for the action

250.00 for the stock

1000.00 for a good scope

120.00 for good rings

100.00 for a good one piece base

185.00 for another Jewel trigger

150.00 for another bedding job

Sorry, but I have been there. Thats why I build switch barrels, I know the true cost. It is a lot easier to write down your data and make a windage and elevation adjustment, than it is to switch a scope from one gun to another and start from scratch.

Antslayer,

If you go back and read his original post you will find that the onlything that will be used between the two rifles will be the action.

One rifle will be used for African Big game hunting, the other will be used for long range shooting.

He will need a stock for each rifle, a scope for each rifle, a barrel for each rifle, probably a trigger for each rifle as a quality long range trigger is not what you want in Africa.

Youare correct, he will be able to use the same bases but probably rings will have to be different depending on the scopes used and their objective bells.

He will be paying for two full rifles save the $300 for just an extra action and with that he could have two complete rifles for only $300 or so more.

GO back and read the original post before you flame my recommendation.

He is wanting to do exactly what you listed will cost him so much more money then just a switch barrel rifle which is not at all what we are talking about here.

If you would also review my posts you will read that I clearly state that this is not like a simple switch barrel project.

This is a switch action project my friend, read the posts before you flame next time!

Kirby Allen(50)

"He will need a stock for each rifle, a scope for each rifle, a barrel for each rifle, probably a trigger for each rifle as a quality long range trigger is not what you want in Africa."

A Jewel Trigger set at 2.5 lbs. would not work well in Africa? You're KILLIN ME!

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

The .400 tembo sounds very interesting! What will velocities be with that bullet? Where can one find any more info on this round?

Taos,

Muzzle vel. on the 350gr. barnes will be around 2300fps. That is a fairly mild load, it could be pumped up to higher vel. but it would increase recoil and really wouldn't make it any more effective at taking game.

Edd Woslum of Evolution (AKA Pungubwe) has written a series of articles about the Tembo. He goes through the design phase the first trip to Africa with it and went as far as having a "professional rifleman" test it in Africa on numerous different animals. The articles start in the September 2001 issue of The Accurate Rifle magazine and follow in the Oct, and Dec. issues, and Dec. 2002 issue.

The best way to get info on it is to just call Edd at 208-983-9208. Be careful though, I called him about a rifle 3 years ago and I ended up going to Africa with him twice now and we're planning the third. I think that was the most expensive call I've ever made. But those two trips were the most wonderful of my life.

Jim

Q-optics What country and type of animals are you going after this time? I found a sight on the internet once where these guys had placed 100's of downloadable quicktime or *.mpeg 20 - 30 second long all about them shooting ever animal under the sun and it was broken down into what calibers they were using.

Here is my custom .458 with a 44mm and sun shade screwed on. It's a Douglas 24 inch barrel.

barrel2.jpg

Q, I feel for you
frown.gif

I was looking at almost the same thing but decided on the 366DGW to handle both jobs
cool.gif
and someone to make some heavey weight bullets... 350 & 400 grainers with EXTREMELY HIGH B.C's
grin.gif

The 366 DGW is a 416 Rigby necked down to take a 366 caliber bullet with no other changes.

Think of it this way a medium bore with the power and penertration of a 416/460 Weatherby mag. A 300 grain A-frame @2900fps = 5600+ ft lbs.

buglight,

I'm working on a deal to go to Zimbabwe in the Danda North area after a couple cape buffalo. I tagged along with a couple friend on a buff hunt in Danda South this year. I was designated camera man. (I was really questioning my sanity after following up a wounded buff with nothing but a carmera in my hand. That won't happen again.)

Nice gun.....

Tex, I have a stock .416 Rigby that could be rebarreled, that .366 DGW sounds like just the ticket.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.