.22 WMR 93 fv savage accuracy

gremcat

I bought a new savage 93 fv in .22 wmr and thought I would show some of the groups.Not much time to break in or clean just ran to the range and shot.I also noticed that barrel heat was virtually non existent.All shots where of rest at 75 yds
Here is the first group with 4o gr CCI JHP:http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f188/gremcat/IMG_1465.jpg

Here is the second group with 30 gr CCI Vmax:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f188/gremcat/IMG_1470.jpg
This was actually 4 rounds where the others where three I was rushing and had 4 rounds to use up so shot them all
Here is the last group of remington 40 gr JHP :

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f188/gremcat/IMG_1472.jpg
I was struggling with the rifle a little through this whole thing as it is a little short for me.It is topped with a bushnell banner 3-9x40 dusk to dawn .Mainly because I just needed a cheap scope .I thought this rig would temporarily fill in while my .223 is at the smith but the optics actually are comparable to my leupies .Not bad when considering it's a 75 dollar scope .

Nice werk. I havent tried to see what kind of groups i can get out of my savage 22 mag but i have had nothing but great experience with it, i shoot cci 30 grain hollow points.

I have nothing but good things to say about savage so far .I bought a 17 hmr when they first came out but hated the trigger.well they fixed that problem.I also am not a competition shooter or anything .

I also have a savage model 93 it is a .22wmr model i bought the mossy oak scope combo with a simmons 3-9*40 scope and i have primarily used fiocchi jsp ammo and have had fantastic results with that ammo i can hit a 2in target at 200 yds where my scope is zeroed holding an inch grouping give or take a 1/4 in ,and also i have done tests to see what sort of power this little round has, i work in the aerospace industry so i have accses to lots of cool material, what i did was take .125 thick {1/8th inch btw} 3in squares of scrap to see what sort of damage my little savage would do, i used 2024 and 6061 aluminum 321 mild steel and 440 stainless 6al4v titanium and inconel im not sure what type cuz it was scrap but i know it was inconel (Nickel the stuff they make jet engine parts out of) is one of the best materials very strong and not soft like titanium, before i get reamed for saying ti is weak let me explain titanium has a high tensile streanght and resists heat very well but a butter knife will scratch the heck out of it, i placed the metal squares on to 6 inch long 2by 4s wich are actually 1 and 3/4 thick. now the aluminum and steel just blew apart upon impact using the 40gr fiocchi ammo ,the stainless was more resilant but still split apart like the others, the titanium when hit streched out about 2.5 in then sheared to let the bullet pass through it i was amazed at the results of these tests, i suspected the aluminum mild steel and stainless wouldnt stop a bullet but i thought the 2by 4 would catch it it didnt i expected the titanium to catch the bullet or the wood would stop it but it didnt when i put the inconel up it had similar results to the titanium streatching about 2 in before shearing but this time the 2by 4 did stop the round barely it was poking out the back so if anyone has any doubt about the power of the .22mag think again, also the magnum has a larger diameter than the .223 and only wieghs a little 10 - 15 grains less than nato ammo with less velocity but seeing the damage done to titanium and nickel plates at 50 yds comvinces me that it is a manstopper gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.