Every part together for my 338 edge except...

318lll9740

I have been a member for awhile and in the last year with help from the knowledgeable members, I have been able to build some decent custom rifles with my minimal skills. I have been a shooter/hunter for 23 years, but in the last three years i have been doing some gunsmithing myself and I absolutely love the feeling of putting together a 1/2 or even sometimes a 1/5 moa shooter. My wife managed to get this one out of me for Christmas. She did say I could use it whenever I liked though:). Its a short action stevens 200, er shaw varmint barrel in 7mm-08 cut to 23" and recrowned by your truly, with a Bobby Hart LRT birch finished stock, bushnell 10x elite 3200, weaver quad rings, iron sighter one piece base, oversized stainless bolt knob, PTG .25" recoil lug, PTG bolt face, and stainless smooth barrel nut. I think I dont even have $700 in it. Shoots 120gr Nosler Ballistic tips with 43.5 grains of IMR4064 at 2.80" COL. Hundred hard groups have measured as small as .35" off rear bag and bipod. It has converted me to a "reload only" guy on all my bolt guns!
A96BA4EE-ED4F-4BF1-9DCC-10AB7B8A4D8B-5143-000008FA50AEEFB7.jpg
[/IMG]

Now on to my Torture Session....I ordered a 338 edge barrel about two weeks ago knowing that it was gonna be at least 6 weeks bf I would have it. ( Sucks to pay for something and not have it but hey, thats the biz...Hopefully McGowen surprises me, hint hint!) Well, all my other parts have appeared from other builds and such and now I have the entire thing complete....minjs my barrel I have been self medicating by making numerous different loads for it, 225 hornady interbonds on top of h1000 and retumbo, 250 gr SGK on top of h1000 and 300 gr NAB's on top of h1000! All different powder loads and different lengths. Ive roughly got 200 loaded rounds. Here are the specs, and if anyone knows where I could acquire a small shank 28" or longer 338 edge barrel thats threaded I would happily purchase!
Savage 111 7mm Long Action
Hogue OD green overmolded stock with arrows and cold steel clay in forearm for stiffness:)
Trigger tuned and stoned by yours truly
Iron sighter one piece base
Leupold 30mm split vertical rings
Hawke SW Tactical 4-16x50
Caldwell 6-9" Bipod
Nathan Wright Muzzle brake
Comfy Leather Sling to assists in toting this beast
Tactical bolt knob on backorder
......and if it takes much longer to get barrel a rifle basix trigger
DCF31A4A-2848-431D-870B-EBF677B57498-5143-000008ECA75FF5A5.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Stoning a Savage trigger is not a great idea. They are made of scintered metal and stoning can very easily remove the hard external surface and expose the soft material underneath.

Thank u for the warning....I guess that gives me a reason to purchase an after market one now...I kinda planned to anyway, now it will be justified

Basix Sav-2 and SSS Competition are the only two worth getting over a factory 3-screw.

Of the 2, I prefer the Basix. Just feels better in my opinion.

That was gonna be my next question...the sav 1 or sav 2 trigger. Thanks again.

I have some 250 SGK that will probably be my round most used. I also have h1000 and retumbo. Which way should I go?

Last edited:
I live in Shreveport, right on the stateline. I currently am only home once a month bc actually work in North East Ohio...Im an Oil and gas man

Savages are cool to work on. I am building a 338 of some type myself. Either Edge or Norma Mag. Most likely the Edge. I've been looking for stainless long actions for sale on the cheap here recently.

Its hard to find a stainless savage long action...at least someone who wants to get rid of one. A buddy back home has one in 300 rum with a large shank I been trying to score off him for years. If he ever sells it to me I will have 2 edge's then:)

I finally received my bbl about a week ago and got to do some shooting yday with it. I couldnt get the accuracy i wanted from the 225 SST or the 250 sgk, BUT THE 300 GR NAB was the ticket! At 150 yrds it will do 1.1", only using a front bag for rest. Im pleased so far and will try to "tweek" the load a little more this weekend.

I have 2 questions for 318..... First I'd like to say good looking rifle. My first question is how long did you wait for the the barrel? I've had a 7mmRem mag on order for about 6 to 7 weeks now from McGowen. Next I was wondering were you got you cheak riser or what brand is it. I've need one for my sendero. Thanks, Danny W.

Thanks Wachsmann!

I ordered my bbl Dec 18/2012 and it was originally ready March 25 or so. The barrel didnt pass QC check so they immediately cut me another and had it around April 4.

The cheek rest was one I found on amazon and comes with a nifty little pouch too. Amazon.com: Tactical Black Color Cheek Rest w/ Detachable Magazine Pouch For Mauser k98 Mosin Nagant Remington 700 Ruger 10/22 Remington 700 Howa 1500 Mini14 Ranch Rifles: Sports & Outdoors. This week I will hopefully have time to get out to my buddies farm for some 300, 400, and 500 range shooting. I think I found the load the rifle likes, now I'm gonna slowly document all drops at 50 yard increments from 300 to 1000 yards!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.