I love my .338 Edge...

Stevewix

I got back from shooting the big .338 a little bit ago, and boy do I wish I'd had this rifle sooner! It's built on a out-of-the-box Remington 700 long action, with a 30" pac-nor Sendero Contour barrel (DE Muzzlebrake) and a Bell & Carlson Tactical stock. For optics I went with a Burris Black Diamond 8-32x with Mil-Dot Reticle atop 15 MOA Picatinny Bases with Burris Tactical 30mm Rings. Recoil is completely manageable, this gun is too much fun to shoot.

While I haven't had the time to develop any handloads, I figured today to be a great day to get out and shoot the gun, break in the barrel and fire-form some brass and otherwise goof off. My starting handload of a 300 SMK above 90 gr. H1000 with an OAL of 3.75" showed no pressure signs at all, (didn't expect any); and in the coming weekends I expect to get some handload tuning done. I'll keep you all posted with my results, and with a little luck I'll find a place where I can shoot more than 200 yards as my 'range' is more of a lack thereof right now.

Anyhow, if you're like me and not sure you need another gun, this is one chambering I wish I'd had many years ago. I've got rifles chambered in .22-250, 257 WBY, .270-300 Win Mag (#2 favorite), 7mm Rem Mag, .30-30 Winchester, .300 Win Mag and now the .338 Edge and none of them are this much fun to shoot. After my outstanding results with the .270-300 Win mag and now this, I'll never buy another factory gun as long as I live.

For this years Elk hunt the .270-300 and the .338 Edge are going in the double case without a doubt!

10-4 on the Edge!!!

What's the details on the load for the 270-300 Wby?

Bullet, weight, velocity, etc?

OK?

no, it's .270-300 Winchester Magnum. the 110 gr. V-Max load that was the most accurate ran 3810 fps. I've never chronyed the 140's, and the 169.5s have never been loaded.

It takes 79 gr. RL22 to push the 110 V-max over 3800, nearly all of the target/varmint shots I take are with this gun. It is a consistent sub-.300 MOA 5 shot grouping rifle off my wobbly portable bench.

not trying to jack the thread,but what's the difference between a 270WBY and your 270/300WM? a buddy wants me to tune his 270WBY.

I know the feeling with the Edge. it's just the best gun i've ever owned.

The 2 are remarkably similar, I know the .270-300 Win Mag holds a few more grains of H2O; but my motivating factor on that particular gun was a drastic overstock of .300 Winchester Magnum brass.

Pictures man... PICTURES.

Been thinking of using that B&C stock on a build... looks like a sweet stock.

well ok then!
img_0671.jpg

Left to right
custom .270-300 Win mag
Factory remington Sendero SF-II in .300 Win Mag
Custom .338 Edge

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.