Barrel contour for my savage 338 edge

justgoharder

Hey guys,
I'm gathering the components to put together my edge chambered savage. I'm most likely going to go with a pac-nor barrel as they prefit to a savage large shank action and also chamber the .338-.300RUM. I've never order my own barrel always had a smith helping make the decisions. Therefore, i really don't know exactly what to go after. The rifle is going to be my new long range gun, I have been toting around a 12.5lb 300rum for the past three years. I don't mind carrying weight but I also don't need something too heavy as there are some big mountains here in CO. I'm thinking 28" 1 in 10 twist 'super-match' grade. after I get the barrel and get it headspaced I'm gonna mark the top and then send it off to a smith to get a good break installed, but which contour should i order?
thanks in advance for your help!

The Savage Varmint taper is a pretty good compromise between weight and thickness.

I just got my 7mmWSM barrel from Shilen. It's a 28" SS Select Match Varmint taper.

JGH....i just got my barrel from pacnor a little over a week ago. I ordered it in the same contour as my rem sendero. it measures .850 at the muzzle. i ordered it 26" fluted with muzzle brake installed (28.25" with brake). i have about 50 rds down the tube now and am real happy with it. Shooting in the .3'S. i dont have a way to weigh it right now but can later today. Im guessing it is 14.5lbs with the scope. AJ Peacock did the same as you are talking and had a DE brake installed on his with a full 28" BBL. You can see and shoot this gun if you are ever down in the san luis valley. AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.