338 edge barrel contour ?

emilli

What would be the lightest contour that could be used and still be a 1000 yard+ rifle. I would like to build one lighter than the one I have now. A little easier to take in the mountains would be nice. Thanks

Contour will make more of an issue with how many shots you can take before the barrel gets hot and starts stringing shots than it will with overall distance.

I have a .338 EDGE with a light palma barrel 30" long plus brake. It will shoot just as well as the heavier contours, but it is somewhat harder to shoot well because of the lighter weight. Gary

What would be the lightest contour that could be used and still be a 1000 yard+ rifle. I would like to build one lighter than the one I have now. A little easier to take in the mountains would be nice. Thanks
Sendero and Palma. Light, medium or heavy.

palma.gif

or a #5 or 6 sporter
sporter.gif

PAC-NOR Barreling, Inc. - Barrel Contours

My 338 RUM has a 27 inch #4 contour plus a brake. The rifle (without scope/rings) weighs 8 lbs. It is very capable beyond 1000 yards.

I'll be looking to build a similar 338 RUM with Brux #5.

I was torn between a #4 and a #5 fluted. I went with the #4 to save some money. Some day when I need a new barrel I'll probably spend the extra money and get a Brux #5 fluted.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.