Barrel contour for my savage 338 edge

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by justgoharder, Mar 26, 2009.

1. justgoharder

justgoharder Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    I'm gathering the components to put together my edge chambered savage. I'm most likely going to go with a pac-nor barrel as they prefit to a savage large shank action and also chamber the .338-.300RUM. I've never order my own barrel always had a smith helping make the decisions. Therefore, i really don't know exactly what to go after. The rifle is going to be my new long range gun, I have been toting around a 12.5lb 300rum for the past three years. I don't mind carrying weight but I also don't need something too heavy as there are some big mountains here in CO. I'm thinking 28" 1 in 10 twist 'super-match' grade. after I get the barrel and get it headspaced I'm gonna mark the top and then send it off to a smith to get a good break installed, but which contour should i order?
    thanks in advance for your help!

2. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

The Savage Varmint taper is a pretty good compromise between weight and thickness.

I just got my 7mmWSM barrel from Shilen. It's a 28" SS Select Match Varmint taper.

3. dogdinger

dogdinger Writers Guild

JGH....i just got my barrel from pacnor a little over a week ago. I ordered it in the same contour as my rem sendero. it measures .850 at the muzzle. i ordered it 26" fluted with muzzle brake installed (28.25" with brake). i have about 50 rds down the tube now and am real happy with it. Shooting in the .3'S. i dont have a way to weigh it right now but can later today. Im guessing it is 14.5lbs with the scope. AJ Peacock did the same as you are talking and had a DE brake installed on his with a full 28" BBL. You can see and shoot this gun if you are ever down in the san luis valley. AJ