Elk hunting boots for wife

Timber338

My wife has finally decided to come backpack elk hunting with me, at least for the first weekend of either 1st or 2nd rifle season up in the Colorado high country. I'm wondering if anybody can recommend a warm boot that can still put on the miles without being too heavy? I've never looked in to good women's hunting boots...

Boots are a pretty personal thing, I would take her to your local backpacking/hiking store and let her try a few different makes and let her choose.

Rob

Well if money isn't an option Kenetrek has started making a Women's hiker like the Hardscrabble. They would be good for this purpose plus a good boot for high country hiking/ fishing if she is into that.

Personally, my wife just wears a higher end hiking boot because she says the hunting boots she has tried don't fit well compared to the hikers (I think it's because they don't look as "nice" as her hiking boots. Don't know if this helps or not.

Well if money isn't an option Kenetrek has started making a Women's hiker like the Hardscrabble. They would be good for this purpose plus a good boot for high country hiking/ fishing if she is into that.

Personally, my wife just wears a higher end hiking boot because she says the hunting boots she has tried don't fit well compared to the hikers (I think it's because they don't look as "nice" as her hiking boots. Don't know if this helps or not.

Yes, this does help. I think my wife will be turned away by stiffness of the Kenetrek boots. Not sure if the Women's hiker you mentioned has more flex and also has insulation? My wife is in great shape, so I'm not worried about the boot being ultra light, the cold is going to be the biggest problem during an early morning hunt when we're set up on a game trail or honey hole. I'm almost thinking something like a Sorel style boot. But that might be extreme on the heavy side since we will be covering several miles a day. Seems hard to find that happy medium. I'll give those Kenetrek hiking boots a look.

From what I've experienced kene's are heavy.

Lowa renegade, my GF has had no complaints. They can be tried for fit at REI, I think they also carry some hanwags too. The renegades are comfort straight from the box.

Here's another option that my wife tried on. They didn't have her size so we didn't really look into them much. Also they usually have a good return policy.

What is the policy? Kinda curious, I know REI has one year on all their boots even if you just don't like'm. I'm going to put this to the test as I ordered some wide renegades and they are too wide in the heel.

If I remember right the Cabela's branded boots including the Cabela's Meindl have their lifetime return policy. I bought some Danner's a few years ago and tried them for about 2 months (about 20mi of hiking) and never seemed to fit right. I took them back and had them order the wide and they work fine. If they are not Cabela's brand I think you have 90 days with a receipt.

The REI return policy sounds really good as well. I don't go in their a lot except for socks. The DarnTough brand socks they sell are about all that I hike or hunt in. The DarnTough socks have a lifetime warranty, you get a hole in the heel you send them back to the company and get a new pair.

I think REI will accept for return as long as the tread is not worn very much. If the boots appear to be worn I believe they start to pro-rate how much $ they'll give you back. Have not bought boots from REI in a very long time.

Timber,
My son wears the Cabela's Boa Speed Hunter Boot. He really likes them. Lite, comfortable, water proof. He actually uses the uninsulated boots. But see that they makes these in a woman size with 400 grams at 2.8 lbs. Not sure if this helps. Good luck.

My wife has some asolo from rei. She likes them more than her hunting boots. I think 2 reasons stiffness and looks. But her asolo seem to fit her well and that's what matters most,and she isn't uncomfortable anymore

To help keep her foot warm is have her put on a fresh pair of socks after you have hiked in to your glassing spot. It makes a big difference and socks aren't heavy.

Thanks everybody for your responses. I've got a few different boots on order from Cabelas and some other websites. I'm gonna have my wife try them all on in different sizes and see what she likes the best. Got some heavyweight huntin socks too to wear with them. I always pack in a few pairs of socks and switch them out as needed, will do the same with her.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.