Elk hunt gear advice?

Brentm mentioned bino strap and that's a great idea.Ran across a guy that fell 4 feet before he got his balance.His bino's came up and hit him in the mouth and at least 1 tooth was missing and another was about to come out.For a 25.00 strap that could have been avoided.
Remember cotton cools and wool warms.You don't want wool against your skin so choose a wool/polyester blend next to skin.Plan on spending a good bit of money for cold weather hunting clothes.
Have seen cold feet ruin a hunt so get and wear wool or wool blend socks.I gave an extra pair away to a fellow that was coming down from his family's camp to go to town to get something for his cold feet,don't let that be you.
Your guide should give you a list,if he hasn't said anything contact him asap.
There a few folks here that are or used to be guides and they have their clients best interests at heart.Listen to them

I'd skip a camp chair unless the outiffter doesn't provide it. Those are great for us who do pack in hunts etc but I have never set a camp for a hunt where chairs are not provided. If you hunt off a horse, a light chair like mentioned is fine. I have very similar ultra light chairs for this purpose but they only go if there is room and there is usually not. As a result I use a air cell pillow/seat for glassing. A chair is nice but I use my pack for a back rest and the air cell for my butt and it's actually quite comfy and deflated weighs 5 ounces and takes up very little room. Foam pads are fine too. Anything to provide a little cushion and get you off the cold wet ground.

I think everyone has listed all the training and equipment that you will need but, a good attitude. When you do everything the right way sometimes your plans all go sideways. Take what nature throws at you and change your plan or adapt to what is happen now. If it can happen it will, trucks break down, horse's go lame and hunter loose their footing and fall down the slope bust their hand and just need to lay there awhile and bleed. So tape your hand, remove the busted scope from your rifle and turn it into walking stick and limp back to camp. While you lick your wounds the next day, a nice 5 X 5 walks into camp and offers you a broadside shot at 75 yards while the rest of the crew is out beating the bushes.

Duct Tape and petroleum jelly both will come in handy and a good attitude. Good luck on your trip post some photo's.

Ace

Thanks again for all the advice.

This is what I know or have narrowed down

We are going to be staying a few days in town prior to hunting at close to elevation to avoid altitude sickness.

1 hour long mule ride into camp from a trailhead

Prep for that is just booked horse lessons (no mules around here)

Camp will be setup ahead of time, there will be a cook to maintain camp, water is provided no filtration necessary.

Prep for that is make some jerky and other snacks and vacuum seal in small snack back portions (not expecting a buffet to be provided or sweet tooth items) going to take Nalgene style water bottle and powder hydration drink packs. We purchased high quality sleeping pads for the cots warm enough sleeping bags, im even taking a compressible camping pillow. I agree 1000% on needing to recharge yourself on these extended trips.

I purchased a mystery ranch popup backpack, think it will be a nice balance between size and capability, we will have mules for packing out animals. I did buy some of their zoid bags from organization and a rain fly, and a few gear bags for on waist band. I do need to get that assembled how I like it and get it fitted and start taking it on walks unweighted then weighted mainly just carrying my daily needed items we will be back to camp every night.

I did purchase a "puffy" coat, vest, and pants
Pants are easy on and off without taking boots on and off. These will lighten my daily pack.

I bought a pair of crispi boots that have a great feel, need to finish break in but feel great already. I have sockliners and multiple weight wool socks. I am taking my sorel pack boots as backup for extreme cold.

I have been using an outdoor edge razor replacement style knife for a few years and really like it, I could use some input on I see they made different blade kits with longer blades those might be handy on elk sized game?

I purchased caribou game bags after researching

Binos 10x42 all thats guide said was needed no tripod necessary.

We will probally not be able to pack in the spare gun, but are taking one regardless it's only an hour back to trail head.

Weapon will be a CA carbon classic 33 nosler with 260 hammer hunters topped with leupold vari-x 6hd 4-24x52 firedot should give me more than enough scope ranges are now going to be 300 yards or less. This is finishing up being load developed then will be zeroed 100 yards shot at 2,3,6 and maby 1000 yards just for practice off benches and then once charts are verified, shot in more real world positions, resting on back pack, tripod with death grip, off hand.

Exercise, will begin walking in gear with pack flat to rolling terrain and then build up to some actual mountain incline/decline work. Not expected to be miles and miles from drop camp per guide could be a few hundred yards away but all the same cannot be in good enough shape. I have been out once and realized at 9500 ft it's not flat land PA anymore.

Cell service a few hundred yards from camp to check in on family, we have large battery bank style chargers

Most of my hunting clothes I am familiar with already on layering, did buy my some Merino base layers, I perfer a hand muff with thinner gloves, but will have thicker pair for extended glassing sessions.

All the gadgets will have extra batteries, range finder, I have a higher end gps with colorado map loaded on it, headlamps etc.

To be continued.......

But please keep up the suggestions and comments I have been using bits and pieces and making it my own

I run merino as well. My gear is all first lite and excellent in every way. A normal day for me is around 6-8 miles hiking with a 40 lb load of gear so light and adaptive is number 1. You'll be fine. Honestly, those guides and outfitters are usually gold. You can get a greenhorn guide but I doubt it. Most are experience outdoorsmen and do more with less then most of the people on this page. They generally don't have a ton of money to spend on high end anything so they make things work that gear snobs would laugh about. I think you're going to be just fine.

One piece of advice I can actually lend to this thread is possibly think about taking a sleep aid along, either a melatonin based or even and advice nighttime (2 for 1 achy joints amd sleep aid). Even after being physically exhausted your brain can keep you awake of the million possibilities the next day can bring exspecially after a close encounter that didn't end the way you had planned. Get well rested amd give em' he'll the next day

Not sure when and where your hunt is but a couple thoughts that have probably been mentioned already so forgive me in advance on that:

Lightweight packable rain gear, more for the wind than anything else:)

Mittons, I never go without them

Handwarming packets

Jet Boil, they're light, packable and easy to use and I love having a way to make something warm at all meals.

As for the Outdoor Edge knife I love mine and have several. Either 3" or 3.5" blades will do you just fine. As well, I always have a small Leatherman tool in my fanny pack.

Chapstick, sun glasses, and last but not least don't forget the BBW (baby butt wipes)

Probably mentioned somewhere, but hydration is key to adjusting to altitude. Start super hydrating a couple hundred miles from your trailhead as you travel up. Water is best. Electrolytes will help during exercise, but for saturation of your body water is good. We bring a lot of guys from low altitude and moist environment to high and dry, most of the time hydration- or lack of is the issue. Remember the "ades" - Powerade, Gatorade are good, but Powerade has more sugar.

Probably mentioned somewhere, but hydration is key to adjusting to altitude. Start super hydrating a couple hundred miles from your trailhead as you travel up. Water is best. Electrolytes will help during exercise, but for saturation of your body water is good. We bring a lot of guys from low altitude and moist environment to high and dry, most of the time hydration- or lack of is the issue. Remember the "ades" - Powerade, Gatorade are good, but Powerade has more sugar.
Thank you great advice