Elk hunt gear advice?

Lots of great advice here already- get into hunting shape and take care of your feet best advice so far. layers for clothing rain gear first aid kit fire starter pack/pack frame that fits you and is comfortable.

One thing I carry is a sat phone for emergencies they are reasonably cheap to rent and peace of mind for pennies. Especially if you or your father has any underlying medical conditions (guide may have one ask).

IF your not used to riding an horse go to a stables before hand and take a couple of rides you'll be using muscles riding the horse you didnt know you had unless you spent time in the saddle before hand.

Lastly post up some pics of your success we all like to see that

For wilderness hunts i take 2 sets of quality clothes and boots. 2 pr wool socks, 2 sets of long johns, and camp clothes shoes or extra boots. it really helps to let your feet relax in evening after hiking in boots all day. Sometimes I take riding boots and hunting boots. Really helps to take wet clothes off to hang to dry and have dry clothes. The rest depends on how well the outfitter sets up your camp. A camp that is warm, dry and comfortable really effects your hunt. If you have to work to gather fire wood and keep camp going it makes for long day and short nights which will effect your hunting as the days roll on.

I limit my optics to one pr of bino's. Depending on where you hunt, but having to take spotting scope and tripod can be pain horseback, plus extra weight walking.
  1. Some type of rain gear.
  2. Whatever snacks you personally want.
  3. razor blade knifes, only need one knife and no sharpeners.
  4. Some type of fire starter and space blanket
  5. GPS or Compass
  6. head lamp (2) plus extra batteries. head lights are super handy
  7. parachute cord or mule tape
  8. For 9 days that would be 2-3 bottles of whiskey but that's just me hehe:)

This is basically what I do every year multiple times. I generally guide a hunt or 2 or I scout for those hunts. Doing this for a really long time, insert old dude, I rarely am on the mountain without anything I really wish I had except ice cream.

things that don't take a lot of room...
1. Extra boots. I rotate boots throughout a hunt.
2. Emergency poncho. I hate packing rain gear everywhere so I tend to rely on the poncho, ultralight, packs small. A large trash bag works too.
3. Always a reliable fire starter. Fire is the number one thing that can make a bad weather day half way tolerable.
4. Gators- you'd be surprised how much a good gator can benefit you.
5. Battery charger/battery pack/ etc. I carry a spare light weight charger and I have a hand crank charger in camp. It's also a light.

Besides the obvious layering of quality clothing etc those are things I like. A good comfy back pack, bino harness, and all the other stuff is just a personal preference type gig. If I can stay warm, cool, dry.... I am generally able to tolerate higher levels of suck.

This is basically what I do every year multiple times. I generally guide a hunt or 2 or I scout for those hunts. Doing this for a really long time, insert old dude, I rarely am on the mountain without anything I really wish I had except ice cream.

2. Emergency poncho. I hate packing rain gear everywhere so I tend to rely on the poncho, ultralight, packs small. A large trash bag works too.
3. Always a reliable fire starter. Fire is the number one thing that can make a bad weather day half way tolerable.
5. Battery charger/battery pack/ etc. I carry a spare light weight charger and I have a hand crank charger in camp. It's also a light.

Besides the obvious layering of quality clothing etc those are things I like. A good comfy back pack, bino harness, and all the other stuff is just a personal preference type gig. If I can stay warm, cool, dry.... I am generally able to tolerate higher levels of suck.

Xlnt advice !!!

This fall my father and I will be going on a elk hunt 4 years in the making, it has been an ever changing style of hunt, from driving to camp and to hunting spots, to driving to camp and taking horses from camp to hunt. To final version is drive to trail head, 1 hour horseback ride to camp and hunting on foot from there. We are now going to be limited to what gear we can take because of packing everything in. So my question for anyone with experience is what to take and what to leave behind?

Or better put what did you find an absolute need and what are things you took that didn't need or things you wish you did have?

Thanks
You have already been elk hunting. I'm sure you're aware of being in some type of fitness and you didn't ask what to wear, you asked what to pack in.

I would start by dissecting what you think is appropriate for you like this. I'll put what I generally use as a reference. These are pretty much always in my bag on all multi day hunts.

Main pack-
Mystery ranch marshall

Sleep system-

Tent: light fighter 1p
Bag/quilt: military/synthetic.
Pad: nemo tensor insulated
Down pillow

Cook kit:

Jet boil zip
or
I also have a ultra light one from Amazon.

Long spoon. <—-pro tip

Mountain house pro pak- (the vacuum sealed ones)

Dry bag with layers:

Down hoodie
Fleece 1/4 zip
Ridge reaper hoodie.
(good down to 17 degrees for me)

Accessory:

Gortex insulated gloves:
Or
Fleece gloves
Ridge reaper beenie cap
Multi tool
Archery or gun field tool
Bic lighter
Kestrel elite
Anker power core
sectional map (minimum)
550 cord* (great for hitches and hanging bags)
Water resistant* headlamp (I prefer with AA w/ lith batteries, it last longer)
Back up flash light. I have a stream light.
Frog togs rain jacket.

Hydration:

Nalgene (2)
camel back (don't often bring it)
Sawyer squeeze water filter
Large empty smart water bottle (for dirty water collection)
Or
Sawyer 1 gallon bag
Potable Aqua tablets

Hunt dependent:
Spotter w/ tripod

Kill kit:
Knife/ blade combo of choice
Zip ties
Game bags (anti microbial in early season/hot climates)

I can take a picture of what it all looks like packed in and on the floor since I need to unpack my bag today anyways as I've already started archery deer and got back from a 5 day. If you want OP.

Attachments

• 4E25850E-C226-4CEC-A6DA-8A57AA0E35A2.jpeg
    4E25850E-C226-4CEC-A6DA-8A57AA0E35A2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • 0EEE18F8-6660-43A3-A1E1-073A8952FEE1.jpeg
    0EEE18F8-6660-43A3-A1E1-073A8952FEE1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
You have already been elk hunting. I'm sure you're aware of being in some type of fitness and you didn't ask what to wear, you asked what to pack in.

I would start by dissecting what you think is appropriate for you like this. I'll put what I generally use as a reference. These are pretty much always in my bag on all multi day hunts.

Main pack-
Mystery ranch marshall

Sleep system-

Tent: light fighter 1p
Bag/quilt: military/synthetic.
Pad: nemo tensor insulated
Down pillow

Cook kit:

Jet boil zip
or
I also have a ultra light one from Amazon.

Long spoon. <—-pro tip

Mountain house pro pak- (the vacuum sealed ones)

Dry bag with layers:

Down hoodie
Fleece 1/4 zip
Ridge reaper hoodie.
(good down to 17 degrees for me)

Accessory:

Gortex insulated gloves:
Or
Fleece gloves
Ridge reaper beenie cap
Multi tool
Archery or gun field tool
Bic lighter
Kestrel elite
Anker power core
sectional map (minimum)
550 cord* (great for hit
Water resistant* headlamp (I prefer with AA w/ lith batteries, it last longer)
Back up flash light. I have a stream light.
Frog togs rain jacket.

Hydration:

Nalgene (2)
camel back (don't often bring it)
Sawyer squeeze water filter
Large empty smart water bottle (for dirty water collection)
Or
Sawyer 1 gallon bag
Potable Aqua tablets

Hunt dependent:
Spotter w/ tripod

Kill kit:
Knife/ blade combo of choice
Zip ties
Game bags (anti microbial in early season/hot climates)

I can take a picture of what it all looks like packed in and on the floor since I need to unpack my bag today anyways as I've already started archery deer and got back from a 5 day. If you want OP.
Thanks I tend to over pack but like the feeling of having extras but I am going to be limited on amount of gear now so just trying to edit some of my stuff, I talked to guide and he agreed to meet us a day or two early (we are going a few days early for acclimation) and help us edit our gear also so I'm feeling a little more at ease with that option

Thanks I tend to over pack but like the feeling of having extras but I am going to be limited on amount of gear now so just trying to edit some of my stuff, I talked to guide and he agreed to meet us a day or two early (we are going a few days early for acclimation) and help us edit our gear also so I'm feeling a little more at ease with that option
Good luck. I personally don't trust auto mechanics or guides, unless I can verify their reputation. So I have no comment.

I couldn't imagine cutting water filtration, basic layers or basic sleep system. Or a not having a minimum kill kit.

I have cut food before, but I'm a fitness guy that counts calories. I only cut 200 calories a day, but ended up losing about 5 lbs of muscle mass that trip. I wouldn't recommend it if you lift and personally would rather carry the extra 2 lbs lol

I am not going to waste space, too much good advice so I am going to put down these things I remember from my last elk hunt.
I must re-enforce, good boots, plenty of socks, good daily wear gear, good well fitting backpack, good physical shape, good knives with stones to resharpen, bear spray! if in bear country, good, warm sleeping sack W/thick comfy pad or bunches of padding(natural) under you. and the larges first aide and survive pouches you can afford to put in your pack. I was stuck out with just my horse for 6 days once waiting out a freak snow storm once. the food was awesome, the shelter got better with the days, the fire was comforting.

Not a bad idea. Usually people are over or under prepared and the guide usually understand the climate better. Seems silly to be over prepared but it's like watching the wife pack for a 2 trip. Most of the crap isn't needed. Essentials is. I find it funny that someone would say they don't trust guides. Let's see, the guide gets paid by the hunter and the more successful and comfortable the hunter the bigger the tip. Usually its the guides who suffer the least while a stubborn hunter is the one complaining the most. The key is to put things in perspective. At home we have every comfort imaginable at our disposal. On the mountain we got what we got and usually it's limited to 50 lbs of gear. My 5-7 day hike in hunt is 55-65 lbs. If you can't do a guided hunt with meals provided in that range you got too much crap you don't need.

FOR ME Need is (october rifle hunt with guide where shelter, water, food is provided)
mid weight jacket
light jacket
vest
long sleeve
Pants
Socks
underwear
base layer top and bottom
gloves
Hat- beanie
Rain Jacket
Rain Pant
poncho
air cell seat- used while glassing
extra Boots
Gaitors
face cover
Sleeping bag and air pillow
Charger system- mentioned before
Head lamp - batteries
knife
tags
backpack
bino's and harness
GPS inreach system
phone with nav apps and gps app
Tripod- I use arca rails for glassing and use for rifle platform- take if there is room
rifle with bipod
ammo
license/tags etc.
multitool

One tip I was given a few years ago was to up my water intake 2-3 times what I normally drink 2-3 weeks prior to the hunt. So if I normally drink 1-2 quarts a day, I upped it to at least 3-4 quarts. Then I keep that up for the ride out AND while hunting. A friend in Wyoming gave me that advice due to me being a flatlander! It made a huge difference for me both for elevation and muscle cramping.

Already touched on by many regarding boots and socks, but I didn't see mention of sock liners. I know some use them and some don't, so figure out what works for you.

Many different boot/sock combos out there. My feet sweat a lot so I started using liners a few years ago to help with hot spots. I have since graduated to high end boots, but still found liners help. I can use very thin sock liners and vary the sock weight (merino or merino blend) based on temp. I use non-insulated boots but have learned what socks to wear based on weather.

Many people will have different thoughts but the foot care system is so important. Also, camp shoes which was already noted above. I shed my boots and pull the insoles at camp to let them dry. If for some reason I end up at camp mid day, I put on dry socks. I also pack an extra pair in my pack, not a lot of weight, but have switched socks in the woods if feet seem damp.

I have been the victim (self imposed) of nasty blisters and learned some lessons the hard way.

All kinds of good advice here! Also consider a couple of bags of dried fruit. Appricots, apples, prunes,,, or whatever you like. No explantion required:)