Elk hunt gear advice?

Your outfitter/guide should have seen it all if they have any experience to speak of. Ask them about it. If it's a horse camp there won't be as many limits as in a backpack situation.

One thing I'll mention is something that my son-in-law brought along for me on a backcountry hunt. That is, a Crazy Creek chair. I had never heard of it but let me tell ya, it was a fantastic thing to have for sitting and glassing or just for taking a break.

Your outfitter/guide should have seen it all if they have any experience to speak of. Ask them about it. If it's a horse camp there won't be as many limits as in a backpack situation.

One thing I'll mention is something that my son-in-law brought along for me on a backcountry hunt. That is, a Crazy Creek chair. I had never heard of it but let me tell ya, it was a fantastic thing to have for sitting and glassing or just for taking a break.

I will look into those chairs!!
I bought these for around camp but don't know if they will make the cut, and they are a little two clumsy for spot and stalk hunting
Screenshot_20210823-182409_Google.jpg

I will look into those chairs!!
I bought these for around camp but don't know if they will make the cut, and they are a little two clumsy for spot and stalk hunting
View attachment 293222
I have something real similar to your chair. It packs nice inside my pack and it's fairly comfortable for glassing and just sitting at night. I'm glad I have it with when it's time to relax.

I have something real similar to your chair. It packs nice inside my pack and it's fairly comfortable for glassing and just sitting at night. I'm glad I have it with when it's time to relax.

Is that a bit noisy to set up and take down? I mean like once slowly I get but if your on the move alot is it practical for that application, I plan on using mine for still hunting here in PA

I used to have crazy creek that you put your therma rest in.Handed off to son,many trips it made,fly in float out BobMarshal also

Is that a bit noisy to set up and take down? I mean like once slowly I get but if your on the move alot is it practical for that application, I plan on using mine for still hunting here in PA
If you take your time to fold up it's not bad. Mine is aluminum so obviously if you bang the pieces together they make noise. I've never heard it in my pack or while sitting however.

Typically a hunter will change clothes twice on a 7 day trip. Plan on clothing that you can layer easily; choose your clothing for comfort and fit. Break-in any footwear prior to your trip and bring a sleeping bag that is rated for low temperatures.

Every year we hear of sore, blistered feet from new boots and of sleepless nights because someone's sleeping bag wasn't warm enough! But, oddly enough, we never hear of anyone not bringing enough clothing! All gear should be packed in soft duffel bags as these are best for packing in on mules; two smaller duffel bags are better than one large bulky one. Ideally, duffel bags should be

around 16" to 30". Army duffel bags work great!!

CLOTHING:

• Heavy jacket-water resistant
  • Light jacket- water resistant
  • Rain/snow gear
  • Sweater
  • Insulated vest
  • Good, well-fitting hunting boots –waterproof, broke-in
  • Underwear
  • Pants (2-3 pair)
  • Hat and/or cap
  • Gloves-lined and unlined (1 pair each)
  • Wool and cotton socks
  • Handkerchiefs
  • Long Johns (2 pair)
  • Wool or flannel shirt
  • Shirts (2-3)
  • Fleece stocking cap (for sleeping)

• GEAR: Hunting license and Hunter Safety Card
  • Good quality sleeping bag rated for cold temperatures
  • Ammunition
  • Binoculars
  • Sunglasses
  • Chapstick
  • Canteen or water bottle (we highly recommend water bottles with a built-in filtration system)
  • Any needed medications
  • Small back-pack or fanny pack
  • Pillow
  • Weapon of choice .308
  • Hunting knife
  • Toilet paper
  • Water-proof matches and lighter
  • Small towel and wash cloth/baby wipes
  • Camera
  • Toiletries
  • Flashlight (with new batteries)
  • Compass, GPS, Range Finder
  • Sunscreen
  • 500 square inches of blaze orange-vest and hat (orange camouflage is not accepted)
  • NOTE: Be sure to sight in your rifle before arriving for your hunt.
  • Game bags-good heavy duty bags are recommended

Did you get just the standard one or the fancier one? The regular one says closed cell foam that won't absorb water but doesn't mention if you can roll it up, the fancier or hex pattern style says water resistant but seams to be more compact as far as seems to be able to roll it up?

Thanks again for all the help and ideas everyone!

Search this forum, TONS of great advice on gear, personal items etc. First talk to your outfitter to get actual weight limit per person. Prob around tops 80-100 lbs max. List out the gear you are taking with your partners to see if you can share items to reduce what you bring. Determine sleeping gear FIRST you need good sleep to survive and prosper. Sleeping pad must to keep cold off back. Buy good waterproof compression bags to reduce space. Outfitter will need to be able to pack into panniers. Weigh your bags and max out bag weights evenly based on outfitter requirements.

This subject has been discussed so many times in LRH, you just need to read and list suggestions that fits your hunt. The limiting factor will be your weight. Suggest talking to outfitter to get their suggestions as well. They may have certain additional requirements.

You may also want to consider purchasing a membership with "Global Rescue". It's not terribly expensive, and it could be a true lifesaver. The peace of mind alone will help you sleep better.

Search this forum, TONS of great advice on gear, personal items etc. First talk to your outfitter to get actual weight limit per person. Prob around tops 80-100 lbs max. List out the gear you are taking with your partners to see if you can share items to reduce what you bring. Determine sleeping gear FIRST you need good sleep to survive and prosper. Sleeping pad must to keep cold off back. Buy good waterproof compression bags to reduce space. Outfitter will need to be able to pack into panniers. Weigh your bags and max out bag weights evenly based on outfitter requirements.

This subject has been discussed so many times in LRH, you just need to read and list suggestions that fits your hunt. The limiting factor will be your weight. Suggest talking to outfitter to get their suggestions as well. They may have certain additional requirements.
I have been reading alot of threads along with videos and "bagdumps", and lists of gear but there is always new tech an items I may have missed or not seen posted such as those stadium style hunting chairs seem to be great idea over the folding z mat I was going to purchase the back support alone for glassing I think will be a life saver

You may also want to consider purchasing a membership with "Global Rescue". It's not terribly expensive, and it could be a true lifesaver. The peace of mind alone will help you sleep better.
I will look into that, I don't think I every heard of that before. I known pay a small fee .25 if I remember correctly to Colorado for helicopter rescue I'd needed.

I have been reading alot of threads along with videos and "bagdumps", and lists of gear but there is always new tech an items I may have missed or not seen posted such as those stadium style hunting chairs seem to be great idea over the folding z mat I was going to purchase the back support alone for glassing I think will be a life saver
I posted pics of my bag dump on my original post. Just FYI if it's helps any.

Did you get just the standard one or the fancier one? The regular one says closed cell foam that won't absorb water but doesn't mention if you can roll it up, the fancier or hex pattern style says water resistant but seams to be more compact as far as seems to be able to roll it up?

Thanks again for all the help and ideas everyone!

It had a thin foam padding with a duck exterior. It was one of the older styles. I think the newer ones will be better.

A seat that I use regularly for hunting in cover is a Torges seat. It's a DIY. Simple and easy to use but more often in impromptu conditions.

I will look into that, I don't think I every heard of that before. I known pay a small fee .25 if I remember correctly to Colorado for helicopter rescue I'd needed.

That's the search and rescue fee attached to the sale of each hunting and fishing license sold in Colorado. It's purpose is to compensate local SAR units and sheriff's departments for the cost of getting outdoor types out of trouble. These small local outfits can require the rescuee to pay the costs of getting them out of trouble. Now they can be compensated from those funds. It's not actually insurance. More of a go to fund to recover costs.

Brings up another item. Personal Locator Beacon. I got one after an incident where I needed the helicopter ride but they couldn't find me. :eek: