Gear for upcoming Elk hunt

Frank7mm

I have a Elk and Mule deer hunt in November in Montana and need help with some gear. The out fitter suggested wool clothing. I was looking at a waterproof snow camo gear. Can anyone give me some feedback on what they use and like. My biggest concern is being waterproof. Any help with ggod brands and brands to stay away from would be a help. Thanks

I really like the sitka gear, used it in montana archery hunting couple years ago for elk,i had the asent pants they not waterproof but have a good water repellent to them you might want to look into the sitka 90% pants and jacket those would be probally a better bet for you in november. Remember some of the gore-tex water proof clothing does not breath very well and some not at all. If i were you maybe look into packable rain gear for your pack in case things got wet then you could just throw them on. Any more questions let me know im kinda a gear freak i have had many different kinds of hunting gear. Let me know how the hunt goes I'm trying to find a hunt to go on next year for elk and want to diy hunt.

Ditto on Sitka Gear.

Before we started offering it here in our LRH Store a month ago, we looked for a very high quality line of clothing. From all the good internet comments we knew this was the best.

I thought maybe I should wear it to learn it and to help promote it. But I was happy with what I already was using and didn't expect it to make much difference to me whether I used it personally or not.

Wrong, I love it. In fact yesterday on my satellite phone call to my wife, what did I chat about from 1000 miles from home? How happy I am with my new Sitka Gear clothing.

Of course mine was bought at dealer cost but I remember thinking yesterday that I would buy it at retail prices if we weren't a dealer.

My son, Andy, just got back from a high country archery elk hunt with his buddies. Three of the guys used SG. Andy will soon be writing about what each of them thought about it.

I too am going with Sitka gear. Have been using it for about 5 years now to include, Alaska, deep snow, rain, frigid cold, warm to hot. Lots of layers is the key. Adding or subtracting those layers temps rise or fall is the key. I prefer the original grey MothWing pattern. Wish they still made it.

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.