Elite Tactical just came

Yes, Kennmore Rifle Range. You must either be a member, or be shooting in the competition to use the 300yds, otherwise you can use the 100yd public range. It's tough to find places to shoot long range. I like to hit the hills. You can find areas off of FS roads up HWY 2.

Hi Guys, How do you use the mil dot reticles? I bought a Bushnell scope but have never used the mil dots. Can some one enlighten me please.

Most of the time the mil-dot is used for downrange zeroing, tho it was designed as a rangefinding reticle.

All reticle-rangefinding is based off a modification of the mil-dot mil-ranging formula and can be accomplished with any reticle really (simple plex, ballistic, custom, whatever). Here's the formula in it's most basic form (inches to yds.)--

tgt. size (") x range of reticle subtension measurement (usually 100 yds.) / subtension measurement (") / quantity of "gap" the tgt. occupies (decimal equivalent) = range (yds.)

...looks complicated, super simple to apply. Here's the formula with the 12X values substituted for that optic at the correct power for the mil-dot milliradian (3.6"/100yds.)--

tgt. size = say 12"

range of RSM= 100 yds.

subtension = 3.6" (std. milliradian)

now fill in the variables--

12 x 100 / 3.6 / 1.0 (tgt. occupies 1 complete dot to dot "subtension unit") = 333 yds.

now recognizing that 12x100/3.6 is going to be a constant of 333.3 we can enter that into our calculator's memory to finish the ranging chart--

333.3/0.9=370
0.8=415
0.7=475
etc.

If u want to use the optic at it's highest power (24) then the dot to dot subtension will be 1/2 what it is @ 12X (as power INCREASES reticle subtension DECREASES). So here's the new equation--

12x100/1.8/1.0=666
etc.

all this looks complicated but once it's practiced it'll be understood and easier to see how it all comes together.

Reticle-rangefinding will always be a poor substitute for the laser tho.

Thanks that explains a lot...........now I will put this info into practice at the range!!!

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.