Electronic Scales

Most my reloading equipment is Hornady, so around 10 years ago my Wife bought me a Hornady auto charge. If I remember right it was on sale for $169 bucks? When I first got it I had trouble with it throwing over weight charges. I contacted Hornady & they sent me a set of instructions on how to adjust the trickle, & that fixed the problem. A couple years ago I wondered just how accurate the unit was, after using it on several 1000 loads? I was also concerned what I would do if it quit working, & thought I needed a back up, so bought a Hornady bench scale. They have both been spot on with each other on charge weights, & have stayed consistent day to day. Now I see Hornady has a new Auto charge pro, I have been considering trying it, if they ever get in stock again.

Great thread and timely.

I have an RCBS 505 and a charge master. I love the Chargemaster and have had no issues with it. I leave it plugged into a line conditioner and always calibrate before use. I also trickle with an Omega electric trickler.

I'm also very interested in the new RCBS Rangemaster for it's combined speed and accuracy.

I like the A&D FX120i but have a question, can you trickle into it or do you have to remove the pan for every weight check? Some of these models don't allow for trickling.

These electronic scales seem to be a PIA. Have had a couple from differnt manufractures. They do not seem to work well. My beam scales never fail me. Are younguys haveing trouble with them?

I have absolutely no trouble with them... maybe because I still use the RCBS 505 I bought almost 40 years ago for setting up my powder measures. The 505 works without a problem... always... even if the power goes out. I do pay close attention when using the scale, rezero before use, & have a few bullets set aside for check weights from time to time.

These electronic scales seem to be a PIA. Have had a couple from differnt manufractures. They do not seem to work well. My beam scales never fail me. Are younguys haveing trouble with them?
I have a Sartorius lab scale. Sensitive to. 01 grain. Works great but keep air movement and cell phones away. Very sensative to these factors

I am a retired biologist. I have a number of scales, mechanical and electronic. I use Adam MacDonald's trickler with A&D 120i. I have several Satorius electronic scales. One, reads in ten thousands of a gram, is technically more accurate, but I use the trickler A&D combination. I call it "Adam's Kernel Counter". With the powders we should be using, "Extreme" or new Accurate powders like R-16, R-23 or R-26, I am convinced that each charge has the same number of kernels. I loaded 2000MR last night, which is an American made ball powder and it might be 6 kernels different than the previous one. That powder could probably benefit from one of my Satorius scales.
I use the sartorius scale also. Very precise! Now, if I could get more precise in my shooting🎯

I sue Lyman DPS2 system to measure out and weigh my powder. I then check it with my RCBS balance 505 or Ohaus 1010, and if it is on the money, I load about ten cases, then recheck, If it is off, I recheck from the last ten to see where it drifted, correct it on the BB and proceed. Most of the time I can load everything without any drifting on the Lyman. Also have in inexpensive Hornady electronic scale mostly to weigh cases, and it is close enough.

I got a charge master lite but check every load with my 10/10
As soon as i can I will be owning a A and D
Or if I hit the lottery a Prometheus

Last edited:
It seems you have to get into an A&D FX-120i scale to get something repeatable and doesn't drift.

It looks like these are about $750
Depends on what you already have and if you just want the scale or the whole thing. The whole kit is $960 (discounted bundle price). You put $50 down to reserve a spot and then pay $910 once everything comes in (autotrickler seems to be the hold up). Took about 10 weeks.
But yes, to get any real appreciable benefit over a standard RCBS Chargemaster, you need to step up to something like this V3.

^^^
I thought it's 1400$ on area 419
I ordered directly from Adam here - AutoTrickler V3 I don't see their whole kit listed anymore so they may have pulled it until they can catch up with existing orders. I paid $960 total, shipped to my door. Includes everything already put together (A&D 120i scale, modified cage, new style powder tray/pan, auto thrower, auto trickler, bluetooth, etc.).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.