Electronic Scales

I've tried walking a balance beam and never could master it.;) I still double check my Rangemaster against the balance beam and so far everything is working fine. The digital scales just take some extra care in using and developing a consistent procedure to use them plus being aware of external environmental factors that can affect their stability. I am lucky I have a closed off room in basement that maintains constant temp without any air movement etc. Plus great spot for storing powder and primers at stable temp. I will not give up my balance beam since I have used it for close to 45 years and it has never failed when I need it so it remains as a permanent backup.

Its all about what you feel comfortable with using that gives you the consistency of load performance.

Electronic scales are just like any other tool....you get what you pay for. I personally use the FX-120i and like it very much. I also have a professionally tuned beam scale that works extremely well. I reload thousands of rounds a year, so I really enjoy the time savings of the FX.

I am a retired biologist. I have a number of scales, mechanical and electronic. I use Adam MacDonald's trickler with A&D 120i. I have several Satorius electronic scales. One, reads in ten thousands of a gram, is technically more accurate, but I use the trickler A&D combination. I call it "Adam's Kernel Counter". With the powders we should be using, "Extreme" or new Accurate powders like R-16, R-23 or R-26, I am convinced that each charge has the same number of kernels. I loaded 2000MR last night, which is an American made ball powder and it might be 6 kernels different than the previous one. That powder could probably benefit from one of my Satorius scales.

I have an electronic scale that was recommended by several people on Brian Enos forums. It's been over 15 years and I've had no issues and it is still spot in when I check it with the weight. Cost then was about $150. I have a back up less expensive scale, but I've never needed to use it

Here's a link to the same scale I purchased from Brian Enos. It was branded as the Pro Digital Scale then, this is the same version MyWeigh 101. https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-ibalance-101.html

Last edited:
A&D FX-120 will set you back $750. BUT it gives you precise weight to 0.02 grains. That's on kernel of gun powder. 99% of shooters don't need that or care. But if you compete at long distance, muzzle velocity variation makes for bigger groups way out there.
For me, fine tuning the powder charge means one less thing to worry about.

I have been using my Lee Balance beam scale for a number of years without an issue, and this year it started measuring very inconsistently. Mostly giving me overweight loads, sometimes up to .5 gn. I cleaned the V, sharpened the blade, but couldnt get it working right. So I started looking around, read a lot about electronic scales and interference, and discovered the scale industry had moved from strain gauge technology to electro-magnetic force restoration sensors. The new sensors are mostly oblivious to interference from flouro lights, etc, but still affected by drafts. I found this on Amazon, link below, read the reviews, asked them questions, and took a chance. Disclaimer..no affiliation.
Very happy so far, admittedly its early, measures to .001 grains, and didnt break the bank. It came with a F1 class 100gram calibration weight. I do have to reset Tare if it doesnt return back to zero, and that might happen every 3 or 4 loads, so its not an automatic high efficiency process. I am trickling manually, and my next upgrade might be to a Dandy Trickler.
With the higher accuracy though, i am finding that kernels of H4831sc vary from .025gn to .045gn, so I am still adjusting to ensure loads for accuracy groups are within .010gn , and this is giving me a lot more confidence and tighter groups over what i was getting before.

https://www.amazon.com/Hanchen-Anal...cy-Chemical/dp/B01N4RZ0Q5/ref=dp_ob_title_def

I have had the RCBS charge Master for about 8-10 years and rely on it heavily. I calibrate it at the beginning of each session and give it at least 15 minute for the electronics to come to temp and stabilize. The only issue that it seems to have is that with long extruded powders it will occasionally be over by 1 or 2 tenths of a grain. That does not bother me much. I have also recently gone back to fine tuning my charge weight by having my RCBS 1010 beam scale next to the Charge Master and adjusting the powder charge down to the kernel of powder on my hunting loads and precision loads. Takes more time, but I am not in a real hurry anymore. I enjoy loading on my single stage press more than my progressives anymore.

I have used both , a RCBS 10-10 (which was a replaceable from RCBS) and Franklin Arsenal Platinum Series Digital. After a false load weight from the RCBS Beam Scale that destroyed the bolt face in my 700 Rem 308 I quickly decided to dump the 10-10 and and never looked back.

These electronic scales seem to be a PIA. Have had a couple from differnt manufractures. They do not seem to work well. My beam scales never fail me. Are younguys haveing trouble with them?
No. How would you describe trouble?

I have a Hornady Dispenser. The old one. I have it on its own shelf...leveled. It is always plugged in. It gets turned on 15 min early before loading, calibrated, and checked by check weight (when I desire). I weight the charge, then dump it. If left at weight, it will drift. It just needs lifted and set back down to get an accurate weight. At zero, the Hornady auto corrects to 0.

Beam scales seem more accurate, but they are really susceptible to dust contamination or slight movement causing variation. The type of accuracy we are after really wouldn't be acceptably measured on a beam scale out in the open.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.