EGW vs Talley Rail...

I can actually get the Talley a little cheaper than the EGW HD. My only concern on the Talley is one report I read where the user said his 20 MOA rail only really gave him 7 MOA. But who knows if that's true or not.

Otherwise, my experience with Talley has always been good, and I also hear the same with EGW.

I'm kinda in a holding pattern either way just now, I am trying to figure out if 20 MOA will work for me or not....well, actually I'm trying to figure out how to figure that out ;)

When a scope is mounted and zeroed it's not going to be perfect. There will be a small amount of misalignment in the receiver itself, how the barrel lines up with the receiver, the scope rail, and the rings. Also the internals of the scope may not line up perfectly with the tube. I really doubt Talley is selling 7 MOA rails, it's more likely there's 13 MOA of error with his whole system. I have a Snowy Mtn custom rifle with their 20 MOA rail installed, and I am getting 10 moa from it. But without that rail I'd be -10 MOA.

20 MOA rails are pretty common and not very expensive. If you have a lot of adjustment in your scope or if you want to shoot really far you might consider a 30 or 40 MOA rail.

Here's my take on Talley and EGW. Pierce Tngineering swears by Talley and I was using Bruce Talley Rings before I had Pierce build my last stick.

You can buy direct from Talley, in fact I just bought a set of one piece alloy rings for a cusromer's early model Savage with a flat top rear that I had to have custom machined. Bruce had them to me in a week.

I personally think Talley is a better asthetically built ring det and tail than the EGW (I have both to compare btw).

I' gonna vote Talley.

I can actually get the Talley a little cheaper than the EGW HD. My only concern on the Talley is one report I read where the user said his 20 MOA rail only really gave him 7 MOA. But who knows if that's true or not.

Otherwise, my experience with Talley has always been good, and I also hear the same with EGW.

I'm kinda in a holding pattern either way just now, I am trying to figure out if 20 MOA will work for me or not....well, actually I'm trying to figure out how to figure that out ;)
If I am remembering correctly, if you put a R700 20 MOA rail on a Weatherby Mark V you only get 7MOA. It's been awhile since I checked this. I was interested in using the xTreme acculevel rail on a Mark V.

Well, I can get Talley's for cheaper than EGW just now, especially considering the EGW's are out of stock. I was going to go the Burris signature route, but I don't like the the look of the regular signatures, and the new XTR signatures are not available yet, plus the lowest size is 1" from top of base to middle of scope. Too high for my needs.

So I think I will give two sets of Talley's a try, and hope it all works. I have 30 days to return them postage paid, so that's cool.

For rings, I have a set of TPS TSR rings, but they are the mediums and I think I'll be needing the low, so I think I'll give those a try.

Well, I can get Talley's for cheaper than EGW just now, especially considering the EGW's are out of stock. I was going to go the Burris signature route, but I don't like the the look of the regular signatures, and the new XTR signatures are not available yet, plus the lowest size is 1" from top of base to middle of scope. Too high for my needs.

So I think I will give two sets of Talley's a try, and hope it all works. I have 30 days to return them postage paid, so that's cool.

For rings, I have a set of TPS TSR rings, but they are the mediums and I think I'll be needing the low, so I think I'll give those a try.

You've been provided with some pretty sound advice; what you do with them is entirely up to you. Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.