Talley lightweight vs Picatinny rail and rings?

FURMAN

I would like opinions of those who have used both. I have two 7.5lb rifles which I built to try to balance long range with lightweight. I have zero doubt the picatinny set up is more reliable and flexible. My real question is is it worth the extra 4oz?

I use the Talley lightweight rings on any rifle I don't need a canted rail on. I have been extremely pleased with the Talley set up. I have had more than one Leupold ring/base combo that ran out of elevation bore sighting. It was fixed by Talley lightweights.

I have used and am currently using both. I have more experience with Talleys. I do not NEED a 20 MOA but if I use a rail I might as well. I have had my scope move in Talleys. I have also had the Talley bases come loose. Seekins rings have more surface area and the rail provides the ability to remove the scope to check bases without loosing zero. There is no doubt in my mind which setup is better. My rifles with brakes seem to have more difficulty keeping rings tight. What caliber are you two shooting?

24, have the Talleys on all my rifles. Have never had a shot over 425yds, so don't need a MOA rail and they are solid on my WBY magnums. No problems

Another vote for Talley, the quality is phenomenal and all my guns wear them. Unless you need some can't out if your base you won't be disappointed in the Talley Lightweights.

Mac

You are making me feel a little better about using the Talleys again. The only reason I am asking is because I HAVE been disappointed with Talleys several times. I really do not want the extra weight of a rail setup.

I like the Talleys on a bolt gun because they don't get in the way of the open bolt area like a one piece rail and can be aligned easier than a two piece rail setup where you have two seperate rails and two rings.

I use a Kokopelli accurizing kit to align the front mount to the barrel then to align the two rings together before lapping. It produces a good job on a bolt gun.

Well you guys had talked me into the Talleys. I remounted the scope in the rings and noticed the halves were touching. I am done with Talleys. I will go with the rail and not look back. I can not afford to have a cheap set of rings mess up a hunt just to save a few ounces.

Well you guys had talked me into the Talleys. I remounted the scope in the rings and noticed the halves were touching. I am done with Talleys. I will go with the rail and not look back. I can not afford to have a cheap set of rings mess up a hunt just to save a few ounces.

Perhaps your scope is undersized or your rings are over sized. You can certainly sand off a little of the two surfaces to give the rings some gap.

Scopes measures to spec. Instead of trying to fix the talleys(this is the third set on this rifle) I will just use Seekins and not worry about it.

Have you used these...Hawkins? I've got new rifle that has a rail and nice rings on it, but I was looking at these since they have 25moa built in.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.