Dumb question about RCBS powder measure...

Cutty

I just started reloading and I was wondering how you guys keep the powder from spilling when using the RCBS powder measure. Maybe my column is a little sticky or something, but I'm having a hard time. Almost faster just to fill a case and weight out out each charge.

Sometimes I'm getting powder coming out on both the upstroke and the downstroke. But, I'm also having trouble with powder "bouncing" out of whatever I drop it into, usually the weighing "cup." I'm using RL 19 right now.

The good news is the 160 grain grandslam loads I've hand measured are shooting an honest .85 MOA.

Also, I just loaded up some 115 grain TNT hollow points to go blow up some song dogs. I find reloading relaxing, but I'm completely self-taught. Dad never hunted big game and I live an hour from the nearest town.

If you are checking your load into the scale pan, put the pan up against the bottom of the drop tube, cycle your handle, and then slowly lower the pan to allow it to fill slowly. Once you have your load checked, then put the case mouth into the bottom of your drop tube and cycle the measurer. Powder will drop into the case with no spillage. Also, watch how fast you cycle your handle. Go slowly to allow an even drop. Shouldn't have powder spill out on the upstroke. Is it coming out of the reserve?

The powder will sometimes stick in the measurer when you dump it. I always bang the handle against the stop several times both in the up and down positions to knock the stickers loose and to make sure I get an adequate fill.

I was told by someone that before starting to use a powder measure a very key step is to give it a proper cleaning. I assume this is to ensure there are coatings or other foreign materials on the surfaces which could cause powder to stick.

Two things. I think you have the handle on backwards. In this position it will actually dump at the top of up stroke. Also there are two drop tubes one for small caliber and one for large try them both you may find that one works better with the powder you are using. This may not allow you to dump directly into the case mouth but it will work into the pan.

Lance

[ QUOTE ]
Also there are two drop tubes one for small caliber and one for large

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read this and was going to ask my own dumb question. Did he screw either one of these tubes into the bottom of the measure? If he bought it used it may not have come with these.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.