Consolidating powder...Dumb question?

midgetorama32

I have been reading quite a bit about variations in the performance of powders from different lots.

I have 18 - 1# cans of Hodgdon H-1000 that I have accumulated over the past 2-3 years with varying lots. Would it be foolish to dump it all into a large container and mix it to eliminate any variables?

Thanks.

I'm curious so I've just got to ask - why would anyone buy 18 single 1lb containers of the same powder, with different lot numbers, over 2-3 years?

18lbs of powder would last the average shooter a loooong time. At an average of 70gr per charge (arbitrary number) you would get 1,800 rounds from that much powder. Presumably, it would last longer than most new SS barrels in any magnum chamber. What will you be using it in?

To answer your question - if all the powder was manufactured in a 2-3 year period and was kept properly, I would have no problem carefully mixing the powders. Although I doubt that there is much benefit to doing so.

I have been reading quite a bit about variations in the performance of powders from different lots.

I have 18 - 1# cans of Hodgdon H-1000 that I have accumulated over the past 2-3 years with varying lots. Would it be foolish to dump it all into a large container and mix it to eliminate any variables?

Thanks.

Yes it would and with out proper mixing equipment you will make the powder more inconsistent.

Also powder degrades over time and once you open it it speeds up the process. so use the
powder one can at a time and if you have a chronograph each time you change cans load
a couple of loads and look for velocity changes.

If there is an increase or decreese adjust your load up or down to match your pet loads
velocity and everything should be OK.

Normally 1/10th of a grain will do the trick and it doesent take much effort.

Good luck and good hunting.

J E CUSTOM

I'd recommend against that, even though it's the same powder, variations in lots mean it won't all burn at the same rate. Keeping the same mixture everytime you reload would be next to impossible.

Chris

I'm curious so I've just got to ask - why would anyone buy 18 single 1lb containers of the same powder, with different lot numbers, over 2-3 years?

18lbs of powder would last the average shooter a loooong time. At an average of 70gr per charge (arbitrary number) you would get 1,800 rounds from that much powder. Presumably, it would last longer than most new SS barrels in any magnum chamber. What will you be using it in?

To answer your question - if all the powder was manufactured in a 2-3 year period and was kept properly, I would have no problem carefully mixing the powders. Although I doubt that there is much benefit to doing so.

I guess most of it had to do with how much money was in my bank account and availablity in my neck of the woods. I haven't noticed any difference in any of the jugs I've used...yet but thought mixing it all together might prevent it.

I fully agree with what J E Custom said.

But here's what I do:rolleyes:

I bought an 8# jug of US 869. It was hard to come by locally and I shoot a bunch of it.

When it was about 50% gone I started looking for more. Could only find one pounders and only once in awhile. So once in a while I'd buy a 1 pounder and mix it in. Mixing for consistency will give one the vapors so I studied how the fertilzer blender at the local co op blended evenly 1 ton of dark pellets into 10 ton of phosphate. It came out quite even. So does the powder as the load hasn't changed and I chrono and RSI pressure lab frequently. (I wonder how long one would have to mix to get it all separated again:rolleyes:)

I am on the last pound or two of the mix and will cease such actions as now I will only have to check performance for the next 8 pounder which will be necessary only once. I can live with once.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.