DUH SAMBAR- 338 edge !!

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Down Under Hunter, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Down Under Hunter

Down Under Hunter Well-Known Member

Just back from packing this boy off the hill this morning.

With having just built a new house and my second child being born 4 months ago, hunting so far this year has taken a back seat. However I snuck out yesterday for a recce into some burn regrowth that might have started pulling some deer again since the "06 fire.

Got to my spot and set up the kit. Conditions perfect ! I had ben seated behind the glasses for less than 10 min when with the naked eye saw something odd on the opposite slope. BINGO ! Bedded stag !!

Range 610 yards .96 COS

He was no world beater but a great opportunity to test the edge on these big moose !

Bean bag under the stock, and waited till he stood for a shot broadside. He managed to walk up the slope a little before he cleared all timber, then the rifle spoke . Booooooom !! WHACK ! Holding for a high shoulder shot the deers front legs just fold up and he "Wheelbarrows on a dead run for 20 yards then tumbles down the hill about 100 yards to a stop.

[​IMG]

I watch and make sure he is staying put then pack the gear back to the truck for a morning pack out.

[​IMG]

I managed to get some great feedback from the internal damage the big 300 smk did on him as can be seen below. WOW !

[​IMG]

I have never seen such carnage on a sambar stag. The bullet was found under the skin on the opposite side. This pic shows the devastating effect on the entry point. The impact hole looked tiny, then obviously the big bullets LB's did the rest !. The projectile looked in really good classic mushroomed shape. I will post a pic when I clean it up

PS on the way in this morning I glassed up another 2 stags at around 940 yards with no wind and a solid rest it would have been nice to hammer one of them but we already had our work cut out !

The edge rocks !!

2. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Very nice shot. That is some steep country.

3. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

DUH, very nice, thanks for the pic's.

4. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

DUH, great stuff and thanks for posting the pix. put a few rounds out of my edge this morning.

what does a regular size and "about as big as they get" Sambar weigh? on the hoof.

5. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

Congradulation on a very good hunt and shot....[​IMG]

6. Down Under Hunter

Cheers boys !

Dave,

Average size would be 450-500 lbs with a real monster going 600-700 lbs.

He certainly sucked up the smk !

DUH

7. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

DUH,

Nicely done. Glad the rifle is working well for you.

8. MDP

MDP Active Member

Nice work mate. Just got back into reception today and Jaws told me you got a kill. Should be heading down to Vic in about two weeks for a crack.

9. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Nice going Chewbacca! I like the outfit.

I had the same kind of performance with the .338Edge/300gr SMK on a white tailed buck two seasons back. The only damage I've seen anywhere close to this on a deer was from a .444Marlin loaded with 240gr hollow points through both shoulders...that 300gr bullet is the Hammer of "THOR!". Literally, "THOR!" is my rifles name- it deserves a manly man name.

10. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

Wasn't somebody questioning the SMK's performance as a hunting bullet not to long ago:D

11. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Yep, and the answer is always the same...do it, don't do it, don't do it with the smaller calibers. :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  12. Down Under Hunter

Cheers Matt !

I now am using the force Bravo !

That 300 smk is a hammer !!.

DUH

13. highridge1

highridge1 Well-Known Member

I wish they would make a 300 gr Nosler accubond,I do not like that much blood shot wreckage.Awesome shot but man I don't like the performance of those sierra's

14. schwabdog

schwabdog Well-Known Member

Very nice mate,
    What do you think of the EDGE