Driving into Canada (BC) for a moose hunt

Thanks for all the replies ton of useful information! you guys are A wealth of knowledge.

So I got a running list of what I need here goes…..
ArriveCan App
US Form 4457 with rifle, optics and anything of value
Canadian form 5589 (not to be signed till Canadian official signs)
Proof of COVID-19 vaccine
Canadian hunting license
Keep ammo and rifle separate
And once in Kim do not speed the Mountes are strict…..
If anybody else has any other advice or info please feel free to share
Thanks
One more that I forgot to mention. The last several times I've crossed, I've been asked for a copy of my hunt contract with the outfitter. I didn't have it the first time and it delayed me about 45 minutes trying to get ahold of the outfitters wife to validate my upcoming hunt

To be honest - all these issues with crossing the Canadian border to hunt, make me want to avoid all potential border crossing issues by hunting more here in the US.

I've hunted in Canada A LOT. I have always enjoyed the country and the hospitality shown to me by the Canadian people. Canadians in and out of the hunting industry have all been great. But border crossing issues can really dampen my enthusiasm for crossing in the near future.

BTW - the image in my avatar was taken in Newfoundland. It was a particularly lucky hunting trip where I took a beautiful bull moose on the second day and took this nice blackie on the third. Now that's something I'm unlikely to do here at home. 😁

Sounds like you have all the info you will need for a great trip.

On a lighter note, always be polite with the Canadian BP and you should have no problems. My spouse (a US & Canadian citizen) once made a joking remark to a Canadian BP and spent 45 minutes being questioned while I stared at the walls waiting for her. From then on, I only had to remind her to keep 'it' shut and let me do the talking.

OTOH, US BP once was a PITA. We were driving back from Canada and arrived at a small US boarder crossing. Handed over our car rental agreement and passports. Spouse has a different last name than mine. BP agent asked if we were related, Yes, we are married. Not sure why he needed to know. He asked, why doesn't she have the same last last name? I pointed out that my last name was 12 characters long and hers only 6 and would he want to have mine? He stared at me for a moment and his lips almost started to smile before he returned the paper work and told us to move along.......must have been a slow day for him. LOL

Went there for a wolf hunt last December 28-Jan 3. Make sure you have you hunter's safety card as well. Download the ArriveCAN App and feel it out completely well ahead of time. (I started one month out) You must have your covid vax card and neg test less than 72 hours before crossing over. The 4457 is a must have, I don't care what anyone else says. You don't want to cause yourself any problems that could have been easily prevented. Make sure the agent signs (mine didn't and I was briefly delayed). Make sure you have Canadian TSA approved locks as well as ammo. Remember you are going into a different country, obey their laws, including traffic laws and customs. You will need another negative 72 hour test to come back. Canada has nearly has lost it's democracy. I will not be returning, sad to say. The people were incredibly nice and kind, but their elected government shows more and more signs of communism.

Went there for a wolf hunt last December 28-Jan 3. Make sure you have you hunter's safety card as well. Download the ArriveCAN App and feel it out completely well ahead of time. (I started one month out) You must have your covid vax card and neg test less than 72 hours before crossing over. The 4457 is a must have, I don't care what anyone else says. You don't want to cause yourself any problems that could have been easily prevented. Make sure the agent signs (mine didn't and I was briefly delayed). Make sure you have Canadian TSA approved locks as well as ammo. Remember you are going into a different country, obey their laws, including traffic laws and customs. You will need another negative 72 hour test to come back. Canada has nearly has lost it's democracy. I will not be returning, sad to say. The people were incredibly nice and kind, but their elected government shows more and more signs of communism.
Hunter's safety card? The one I got as a kid in the 80's? I actually think I still have it I'll just have to track it down..
Thanks for the advice

100% , Trudeau loves China and wants this country to be just like it.

Hunter's safety card? The one I got as a kid in the 80's? I actually think I still have it I'll just have to track it down..
Thanks for the advice
Your state should have a record of it also. I needed mine for concealed carry application and was able to get it online from the state.

Your state should have a record of it also. I needed mine for concealed carry application and was able to get it online from the state.
I had to get a copy of my card I had lost through a few move around the country. I emailed fish and wildlife and they mailed a copy of it.

Just curious but how much do these hunts cost nowadays ? I haven't been in Canada since the early 90's. Not really sure I want to go back these days. But should the opportunity present itself. It would be nice to have some knowledge on cost. I don't want to have to sell the house to keep my word. lol