Do you ever go on outfitted hunts?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Len Backus, Oct 19, 2009.

1. I have in the past

404 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. I plan to in the future

534 vote(s)
    42.7%
  3. I probably never will in the future

504 vote(s)
    40.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Have you ever in the past or will you in the future go on outfitted hunts?

More than one poll answer is possible in this poll.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. jmason

jmason Well-Known Member

I'd like to but probably won't get it put together. I'm younger with a young family. I just feel like if I did it, it wouldn't be fair. It's not something we can all do.

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Well-Known Member

I hope to be able to afford to go with an outfitter in the future but even if I can scrape up enough money then I would feel guilty with leaving the rest of my family behind, kind of selfish .maybe I'll just take them with me to some public land in Colorado instead:)

Bigbuck

4. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

Yep, going on one next week. For some of us in flatlanders, it makes sense to try and hunt with someone that already knows the area. If I lived out west, I would have my own horse and gear and do it on my own, and spent my spare time in the off months learning the areas I wanted to hunt, and go camping.That would be the life.

5. glockman55

glockman55 Well-Known Member

We did a Caribou hunt once, not Guided, just had Camp Tenders.
    Semi- Outfitted. Would love to some day, A full Guided hunt would be great.
    My Grandad told me not to wait too long, his health stopped him from doing it by the time he was able to afford it.

Jmason; hang in there, your young, you'll make it. You'll be surprised how fast your family will grow up...Lots of time.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  6. HUAINAMACHERO

HUAINAMACHERO Well-Known Member

I am not a US citizen, so for some of the trips I have plans, I necessarily need an outfitter. Just have to work a lot and save enough to be able to make them!!! There is where the problem begins, but as passionate as I am about hunting, I will invest time and money in good hunting trips: interested in elk, antelope, moose, mule deer, grizzly, caribou, sheep, at least one of them in a lifetime, at least those are the dreams and that is for free.:D:D:D Just hope God lets me do them, but they are a priority of things to do in my life so just have to work for it.

7. padd54

padd54 Well-Known Member

I would love to. Does anyone what a week long guided trip to NZ for Stag would run? Can you bring your own tools?

8. ROBSTER

ROBSTER Well-Known Member

I would love to if I could come up with the extra cash it seems that every time I start saving I end up buying a new toy. Besides I would have to find a place that would have something for the wife and kids to do in the area while I was hunting.gun)

9. zuba

zuba Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat! someday though...

10. Elk8

Elk8 Active Member

I have to agree with Bigbuck and Jmason (love your whiskey by the by). At this point in my life it would be entirely selfish of me to go on an outfitted hunt. Granted, if "she who must be obeyed" let me trot off to New Zealand with the boys for a red stag hunt......:rolleyes:

11. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I have been on 5 guided hunts and feel that they were for the most part very worthwhile
    and enjoyable.

On 2 of the hunts I had to take the lead in the hunt because the guide did not care if any
    of us killed anything or even had a good hunt.

These two Guided hunts were not researched very good (A Huge Mistake) one was put
    together by a friend and the other was the 1st place prizes at the Texas state broad head
    championship that I was ''Lucky" enough to win.

The other 3 were great and the guide service was outstanding even though I had to settle
    for a mule deer instead of an ELK on two of the hunts.

And yes I will go on more guided hunts.

It is a good way to learn how ,If you are new to this kind of hunt (Like ELK).
    Also a good way to learn an area or state.
    And it helps you to learn what gear to carry and what not to.

Out of all of this I came to the conclusion that:
    1 = you should do a lot of research before you talk to the outfitter.
    2 = Get references and talk to some of them to get a feel for the type of outfitter he is (Not
    just a good old boy).
    3 = Communicate well with the outfitter and express your wants and expectations of the hunt.
    4 = And if the Hunt does not appear to be headed in the right direction ,REDIRECT IT !!! It's
    your money.
    5 = And by all means don't demand a guaranteed kill because they cannot do that but they
    should try very hard to make your hunt a success .

SO if the outfitter tries very hard and you have a great hunt (Kill or not) tip them accordingly
    and it will give you a lot of good memories.

J E CUSTOM

12. joecnobles

joecnobles New Member

I would like to go in the next couple of years. Does anyone have any contacts?

13. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

14. runshort

runshort Well-Known Member

Went on my first outfitted hunt in the 2008 season.
    The outfitter went over and beyond trying to put myself and newphew on animals.
    Ended up taking a nice mule deer and passed on a small 4x5 elk which ended up being a mistake on my part.
    In all it was most enjoyable and I will never forget it.