Do I really need a 300 WM?

Well, you'd be nipping at 300 WIN FACTORY AMMO speeds and you'd be maxed out on pressure. If you want to compare apples to apples and talk max pressure, I personally have had a 180gr bullet going 3230 fps from a 24" barrel in a 300 win mag using 78gr of RL-19. That's 2" less barrel length and still about 350 fps faster

Actually I'm a couple thousand psi short of max, but I wouldn't want to push it any harder than 62gr.

I was talking our handloads for my buddy's .300 WM. His shot best on the mid-range loads around 2,850-3000 fps.

Did I say anything bad about factory barrels??? I don't recall "knocking" anything...
Simply curious as to why a "custom rifle" had to have its barrel lapped.

Actually one of the best shooting barrels I own is a stainless Remington VSSF II take off chambered for 204 ruger that I put on a trued 700 SPS action. It's not technically a custom rifle, more of a re-worked factory job, but I guarantee it will shoot as good or better than any varmint rifle anyone on this forum can muster up. Hole, in a hole, in a hole. Shoots as good as any custom I've ever built. Paid $150 for it used with 100 rounds down the tube. I can't for the life of me figure out how someone would have ever wanted to get rid of it? But it's mine now :)

Alotnof people knock factory barrels and say they're all junk and will never be as good as an aftermarket, and blah blah blah... I've seen that discussed alot on here, and it usually ends up in a group comparrison contest between a $1000 custom and a $5000 custom. Group sizes are usually not far enough apart to justify the $4K in my eyes. :D

Since most of the custom barrel makers hand lap their barrels there must be something to it. And if there is something to it then why would a factory barrel not also benefit? Lapping smooths out the tight spots and makes the bore more consistent in diameter chamber to muzzle. Back in the day many of us would take a factory gun into our smith and have them tune the trigger and lap the barrel. A good factory out of the box group was about 2" at 100yds but the lap job and stoning the trigger would bring it under an inch.
Barrel making has been the greatest improvement in technology and machining in gun manufacturing in the last 40 years. That and the much better quality bullets of today are why we expect 1/2" groups @ 100 yards from our rifles as a matter of course these days. You young punks just don't know....

In developing a Berger 210 load for the 300 WinMag I have found most of the 300 WinMag fraternity among the members here are getting >2900 fps. So Mudrunner's buddy is not pushing his 185 at all.

Let me restate my position: 300 WinMag all the way if you can handle the recoil. My youngest son and I regularly pound 50 rounds of magnum ammo off the bench and are no worse the wear - without muzzle brakes. You can develop the ability to handle the recoil one step at a time. But if you cannot handle it right now my suggestion is to use a 7mm Remmy. And EVERYBODY should be reloading!!!

KB

Last edited:
Since most of the custom barrel makers hand lap their barrels there must be something to it. And if there is something to it then why would a factory barrel not also benefit? Lapping smooths out the tight spots and makes the bore more consistent in diameter chamber to muzzle. Back in the day many of us would take a factory gun into our smith and have them tune the trigger and lap the barrel. A good factory out of the box group was about 2" at 100yds but the lap job and stoning the trigger would bring it under an inch.
Barrel making has been the greatest improvement in technology and machining in gun manufacturing in the last 40 years. That and the much better quality bullets of today are why we expect 1/2" groups @ 100 yards from our rifles as a matter of course these days. You young punks just don't know....

In developing a Berger 210 load for the 300 WinMag I have found most of the 300 WinMag fraternity among the members here are getting >2900 fps. So Mudrunner's buddy is not pushing his 185 at all.

Let me restate my position: 300 WinMag all the way if you can handle the recoil. My youngest son and I regularly pound 50 rounds of magnum ammo off the bench and are no worse the wear - without muzzle brakes. You can develop the ability to handle the recoil one step at a time. But if you cannot handle it right now my suggestion is to use a 7mm Remmy. And EVERYBODY should be reloading!!!

KB
+1 on hand lapping I have also seen 2in. Rifles go to 1/2in. I never rule out a inaccurate rifle till trgger work and hand lapping is done. They foul less and clean easier. I personally seen a savage axis 308 go from 2in. After extensive load testing, then lap the barrel and trigger work, it went to 1/2in. average with very little load work up.

While on the subject of 30 cals for hunting:

Has anyone here messed with the 300 Ruger Compact Magnum cartridge much? It's intriguing as a lower recoil round with powerful performance. From what I can tell, it's basically the short action version of the 30-375 Ruger.

While on the subject of 30 cals for hunting:

Has anyone here messed with the 300 Ruger Compact Magnum cartridge much? It's intriguing as a lower recoil round with powerful performance. From what I can tell, it's basically the short action version of the 30-375 Ruger.
Wish I could help, but I've never owned or shot one, and don't know anyone who has owned one, to my knowledge.

Mudrunner,

I appreciate your patience and great descriptive assistance when it comes to these topics.

Between my dad and I, we have three 30-06 rifles. And to be honest, we haven't hunted with them in years, nor really explored loading for them. We have been doing more western style hunting after mule deer with ranges up to 600-700 yards, so we end up using magnums, or we are hunting blacktail are closer ranges with a 7-08 or .243.

Reading through this thread makes me want to work on one or all of those 30-06 rifles, just to have other options.

Glad to see I could be of help. If there's anything else I can possibly help with, let me know. I'm sure there's quite a few others on here that can help more than me, but I try to help folks when/if I can.

Barrel making has been the greatest improvement in technology and machining in gun manufacturing in the last 40 years. That and the much better quality bullets of today are why we expect 1/2" groups @ 100 yards from our rifles as a matter of course these days.

+1! For what it's worth ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5whoLY5Y1c4]lilja borescope - YouTube[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.