Do I really need a 300 WM?

I personally would choose the 3006 if your only going to shoot factory ammo there is more target type ammo for the 308 but there is some very accurate 3006 factory ammo. If your going to reload I think you can find accurate loads for both I like heavy bullets so I think the 3006 is more versatile I can load for heavies and load to 308 velocities if I want but never do, plus it gives you a long action rto build on if you ever decide to

Might want to look in to making your .243 a switch barrel with a .308. For the price of a new gun and scope you could easily get that done by a gunsmith. Unless you just NEED another gun :)

NO WAY! I love my .243 for coyote and deer. I think 30-06 or .308 would both be great choices for me. I am sure a 300 WM wouldn't be too far down the road either.

Less than 500 yards, I'd go with 30-06. I made the choice to go 7mm RM so I could shoot the highest BC bullet in 180 grains and I didn't want the recoil of the .300 WM. The recoil is a noticeable jump from a 30-06 to a 7mm and another jump to the .300 WM. I've shot 60 rounds of 30-06 in one sitting just fine but can't shoot more than 40 with 7mm before my shoulder is too mushy. I'm glad I didn't go .300 WM. I plan to be able to shoot farther than 500 yards otherwise I would have gone 30-06. Spend some good time looking at ballistics and energy retention for different bullets for each of the 3 guns. 30-06 costs less to shoot.

Get closer. I have killed a lot of moose with my .270 and 150gr partitions, all shots less than 250 yds or I simply don't take the shot. That being said I did buy a 300wsm and have a 26 Nosler on order. lol. Seriously, shot placement with a good bullet and it's over.

jrock

The difference between a 30/06 & 300 WinMag is 15 grains of powder- hardly more expensive.

Your choice of a 7mm RM would go well with the OP's 243 for a two gun solution, especially if recoil is a factor. But the 30/06 is no real savings I can tell you as we load both 30's.

KB

jrock

The difference between a 30/06 & 300 WinMag is 15 grains of powder- hardly more expensive.

Your choice of a 7mm RM would go well with the OP's 243 for a two gun solution, especially if recoil is a factor. But the 30/06 is no real savings I can tell you as we load both 30's.

KB

If one reloads yes, I agree not much cost savings. I was referring to the comment about wanting to find ammo on the shelves.

You are from Az. Did you get an elk tag? Are you hunting another state for elk this coming fall? If the answer is yes then choose a rifle that you could use for those longer shots. If the answer is no get the 308 and shoot the hell out of it.

I use my 308 to practice all manner of positions. With bi-pod prone with rear bag without rear bag, standing, kneeling, etc. I also go out and shoot jackrabbits.

You shot the 300 Rum but did you shoot it multiple times? See if you can shoot a variety of magnums. I'd bet if you went to one of those shoots that Ron mentioned other shooters would give you a shot or two. I do it all the time for guys at our range.

As for getting a brake for a 300 win mag if you don't want one don't get one. You can learn to handle the recoil. Shooting from the bench generally will beat you up the most. There are things you can do to mitigate the effect. Sit upright with bag and front rest higher. Put on a recoil pad like the Shooter's friend:

The Shooter's Friend Recoil Pad : Cabela's

A proper switch barrel you would have both calibers to swap between.

The OP can't decide on a hunting caliber, obviously has not fired many caliber rifles at all, doesn't reload, etc... My guess is he has little experience in the rifle world.

That being said, I don't think a switch barrel rifle is on par with his level of expertise. Granted, a switch barrel can be a fairly simple piece of equipment to the experienced shooter with a good level of basic gunsmithing knowledge, but it could spell trouble for someone fairly new to the finer details of the game. Just my opinion.

You are from Az. Did you get an elk tag? Are you hunting another state for elk this coming fall? If the answer is yes then choose a rifle that you could use for those longer shots. If the answer is no get the 308 and shoot the hell out of it.

I use my 308 to practice all manner of positions. With bi-pod prone with rear bag without rear bag, standing, kneeling, etc. I also go out and shoot jackrabbits.

You shot the 300 Rum but did you shoot it multiple times? See if you can shoot a variety of magnums. I'd bet if you went to one of those shoots that Ron mentioned other shooters would give you a shot or two. I do it all the time for guys at our range.

As for getting a brake for a 300 win mag if you don't want one don't get one. You can learn to handle the recoil. Shooting from the bench generally will beat you up the most. There are things you can do to mitigate the effect. Sit upright with bag and front rest higher. Put on a recoil pad like the Shooter's friend:

The Shooter's Friend Recoil Pad : Cabela's
I do the same thing a good bit. People will walk over and start crowding around wondering what my "cannon" is? Usually when I'm shooting my 7mm STW or .300 Ackley. Then once I talk to them for a min and get a feel that they're competent enough to shoot something like that, I'll explain to them that if you hold the rifle semi-tight, the recoil won't rock you, but it also won't pop you. I'll ask them if they want to squeeze one off. Most of the time they say yes.

I shoot from a bench 99% of the time, and it does take a toll on you. But I've shot well over 100+ rounds of big magnum ammo through 10-11 lb rifles + another 100+ in standard calibers in an afternoon all riding on sandbags. Your shoulder will hurt for the next couple days, but it goes away quickly.

The OP can't decide on a hunting caliber, obviously has not fired many caliber rifles at all, doesn't reload, etc... My guess is he has little experience in the rifle world.

That being said, I don't think a switch barrel rifle is on par with his level of expertise. Granted, a switch barrel can be a fairly simple piece of equipment to the experienced shooter with a good level of basic gunsmithing knowledge, but it could spell trouble for someone fairly new to the finer details of the game. Just my opinion.
Agreed!

Sometimes simpler is better. Short to medium range, 30-06 gets my vote.

If the minimum number for expansion is 1,300 fps, then my load in my .30-06 AI will allow me to reach between 1175 and 1200 yards. At 1175 yards, I'm right at 1311 fps & 707 fpe. And at 1200 yards, I'm at 1289 fps & 683 fpe.

This is with a .30-06 AI w/ a 26" 1:12 barrel, pushing a Berger 185 VLD around 2,861 fps MV.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.