Do I need a 20 MOA base?

mnhntr

How do I determine if I will need a 20 MOA base on my new rifle scope combo?

Savage Long Range Hunter 25-06
Zeiss 4.5-14x50 with Z-800 reticle

The object is a 1000yd yote rifle.

I would say yes. Only because you mention 1000 yds. Anywhere beyond 800, we're getting close to possibly needing 20 moa in the scope. At 1000 yds, with 100 sight in, we're needing about 25 moa in the scope.

a 20 min rail really shouldn't hurt anything, even if you don't need or use it.

I am putting one on my new dedicated LR coyote rifle. 6mm Long Dasher. I don't know if I can hit one at 1000 yet, but I am fairly confident I can at 800 with the right setup, a steady rest and fairly steady winds under 15 mph. Out to 700, a 20 minute rail is not needed with a 25-06 (wasn't on either of mine anyway).

Last edited:
On the other hand, with the Z-800 reticle, you may not need it. You could always use the reticle out to as far as it will let you, and then dial the extra while using the bottom crosshair for aiming.

I am assuming the scope has a 1" tube?

Give me your load data and Ill run the numbers in my program to see how much elevation you need to get there.
retiredcpo

A good one piece 20 MOA picatinny base is very beneficial.

I can't think of any reason not to use one on a long range rifle.

Dont have any yet. I am just putting this rifle together then its barrel break-in, then load development. I used the load data calculator on the Zeiss website and it does not tell me whether I would need one bit it does give me all the lines out to 800 so I am guessing it is not necessary but may be beneficial. I will put one on if it is not going to hinder me at all.
Give me your load data and Ill run the numbers in my program to see how much elevation you need to get there.
retiredcpo

The only way I see that it could maybe hinder you, would be if the scope doesn't have enough elevation in it to use the reticle like it's designed to be used (assuming you want to use it for holdover out to X distance).

This is probably very unlikely, but I see it as a possibility. A 20 moa base will mean that you'll have to crank the reticle up further to sight in at the desired bar/dot, whatever.............most likely, it wont be an issue.

Only other downside I know of is possibly having to use slightly taller rings when mounting the scope, because the objective bell will be closer to the barrel with a 20 minute rail............really depends on how heavy and thick the barrel is though. Most likely, this wont matter either.

The major benefit is that it ensures you that you'll have plenty of elevation for 1k and that you'll be near the center of your adjustments at 1k so that you'll have maximum windage adjustment for long range.

You will be slightly limited in your windage adjustment at close range where it's not a factor anyway.

The forward cant is very slight and I have not had to change rings on any of my rifles including one with a 1.25" barrel.

You can still use the fancy reticle without impairment when you wish to do so. And, I would caution against the idea of dialing part way and then using the reticle to get the rest of the way.

I have found the EGW 20 MOA picatinny rail and Burris Tactical Elite Rings to be of excellent quality and value.

The biggest advantage is that it becomes very easy to swap scopes between rifles.

Good luck!
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.