DLC coated action or bolt only??

SouthTXBowhunter

I’m ordering a new SR3 from Bighorn and I’m not sure whether to spend the extra money on having the action DLC’d? The bolt comes DLC coated either way. My other custom actions are Defiance and one is uncoated and the other is Nitrided- bolt and action. I love the rifles but I’m hoping for a lot slicker feel with this SR3. I thought I read somewhere that things will be slicker with 2 different coatings. Not sure if that’s right but I’d be totally fine with a DLC coated bolt and having the action body and barrel Cerakoted. Seems like THAT would give the best environmental protection and let me pick whatever color I want aesthetically. But, my #1 concern is having a smooth action! So, what’s the best way to go - bolt only or DLC the bolt AND the action body?

I haven't tried it but I have a gunsmith friend that is very high on it. It's a relatively new process so there's not nearly as much out there on it as there are other coatings and treatments.

Color won't make any difference in the performance or how happy you are with the rifle in the long run so I wouldn't let it concern me much.

Meloniting is another option worth considering as one of it's benefits is that it's self lubricating and probably the most durable of all the coatings/treatments out there.

As I understand the process the DLC coatings are vacuum deposition thus I would not expect it to be any more durable to friction that something like Cerakote which will show wear on wear points but still protects.

A9114692-9250-4E68-ACDE-A8354E79B7AC.jpeg
6BC20C2E-1CF0-45EA-A45F-5CCBF09DAA78.jpeg
View attachment 84799 View attachment 84799 All of our actions come standard with DLC bolt, and in my opinion, DLC is far superior to CeraKote, Melonite, Dura Coat, Gun Coat..... that being said, I routinely put full DLC treatment on complete actions for customers that request it. Our PRS teams run full DLC. What I have found is that a full DLC treated action is not as slick as a DLC treated bolt running in a CeraKoted action body.

Last edited:
View attachment 84801 View attachment 84800 View attachment 84799 View attachment 84799 All of our actions come standard with DLC bolt, and in my opinion, DLC is far superior to CeraKote, Melonite, Dura Coat, Gun Coat..... that being said, I routinely put full DLC treatment on complete actions for customers that request it. Our PRS teams run full DLC. What I have found is that a full DLC treated action is not as slick as a DLC treated bolt running in a CeraKoted action body.

Now I'm hearing that the Bighorn bolts are actually NP3 coated, standard. If this is the case, then DLC coating "the action" should provide the slickest action I can get out of the SR3. I'm waiting to hear back from Bighorn for clarification if I have it right.

Your comment about the Cerakote/DLC combination producing the slickest action seems to confirm what I thought. I'm guessing that a NP3 coated bolt running in a DLC coated action body would produce a similarly slick feel. I like Cerakote because I can pick a color for the action (usually to match the barrel) but I'm more concerned with function than aesthetics. If I have to go with a black action and a FDE or olive green barrel, it'll stil look nice; and I'm sure the DLC coated action will be even more weather resistant than Cerakote.

Thanks for your reply!

I haven't tried it but I have a gunsmith friend that is very high on it. It's a relatively new process so there's not nearly as much out there on it as there are other coatings and treatments.

Color won't make any difference in the performance or how happy you are with the rifle in the long run so I wouldn't let it concern me much.

Meloniting is another option worth considering as one of it's benefits is that it's self lubricating and probably the most durable of all the coatings/treatments out there.

As I understand the process the DLC coatings are vacuum deposition thus I would not expect it to be any more durable to friction that something like Cerakote which will show wear on wear points but still protects.

Yes, the color thing is no big deal. I'm not a big fan of Cerakote inside actions as I've had a couple horror stories with Cerakote that was applied too thick. It's got me jumpy when it comes to items with tight tolerances, like custom actions. That's why I chose to buy a Nitrided Defiance action on my last build. Cerakote is great stuff but a lot of people apply it WAY too thick. This is no big deal on the barrel or the outside of the action; or even on a factory action. But, when you're talking about the tight tolerances of some of these custom actions, a thicker than necessary (Cerakote spec) layer CAN cause all sorts of issues with bolts binding. Especially in the heat of the moment when you may try to work an action and be a little aggressive with it.

Resurecting this thread, anybody had a barreled action DLC coated and how did it turn out? Who did the work?

I’m ordering a new SR3 from Bighorn and I’m not sure whether to spend the extra money on having the action DLC’d? The bolt comes DLC coated either way. My other custom actions are Defiance and one is uncoated and the other is Nitrided- bolt and action. I love the rifles but I’m hoping for a lot slicker feel with this SR3. I thought I read somewhere that things will be slicker with 2 different coatings. Not sure if that’s right but I’d be totally fine with a DLC coated bolt and having the action body and barrel Cerakoted. Seems like THAT would give the best environmental protection and let me pick whatever color I want aesthetically. But, my #1 concern is having a smooth action! So, what’s the best way to go - bolt only or DLC the bolt AND the action body?

To start with Cerakote, it would depend on how skilled the coater and preparation would be regarding clearances between the bolt and action. Not enough clearance/too thick Cerakote and you'll be very unhappy. (On my guns, I would want Ceracote for the exterior only and keep it out of the works.)

Long engagement of the bolt and action, all other things being equal, might be smoother than shorter engagement. (Long engagement resists cocking.)

Two different materials usually slide against each other better than two identical materials. An example is early attempts at all stainless steel semi-auto hand guns where soft (300 series) stainless was used and the slides would near weld themselves to the frames. Simple fix: leave the frame uncoated and coat the slide with .0002-.0004" electroless nickle. (Hard chrome or titanium nitride would work also.)

I would want to start out with a bolt/receiver design that is inherently smooth, then polish the contact surfaces mirror-smooth. THEN worry about corrosion resistance, because a light coat of good lubricant and regular cleaning will prevent most corrosion. I'd stick to thin hard coatings like titanium nitride, boron nitride, etc.

Try all your friends' rifles to see what feels good to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts