molly coated projectiles?

sniperboy

Hi to all!

Can anyone advise me on the ups and downs of molly coating my projectiles. Yesterday at a benchrest comp i saw a few guys with moly coated projectiles and they told me that when molly coated they dont leave much copper fowling in the barrel. Is that true? And what other advantages and disadvantages do they have?

Sniperboy

Im not trying to stepp on diderr feet but I disagree. With what I have seen, molly is bad. The supposoble pro's are suppose to be less fouling, longer barrel life, sometimes get more speed, etc. With what I have seen it is actually harmfull to barrells. It dosent help in any kind of fouling and and if you do get any kind of velocity advantage it is normally not enough to worry about.

All I have seen was with mostly custom stainless steel barrels and a few factory ones. I havent dealt with molly bullets in chrome molly barrels since i dont shoot them much. All I have seen was with a bore scope. take it for what you want but I personally dont use molly.

Did a search just click on these...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/molly-coated-bulletts-16516/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/anybody-still-moly-coating-bullets-13107/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/whats-up-moly-thing-1607/

from midway Q&A:
MOLYBDENUM DISULFIDE
Molybdenum disulfide or "Moly", as it is commonly called, is a lubricant used in extreme pressure conditions due to its high degree of lubricity and high melting point. Moly has been found to reduce bore fouling when applied to bullet surfaces. It will decrease bore cleaning effort and time. Published reports have shown an increase in Ballistic Coefficient, longer barrel life, and an increase in accuracy.
Moly coated bullets will reduce pressure and velocity. Loads must be worked up slowly to attain previous velocities, therefore this does NOT mean powder can be added indiscriminately. The maximum pressure of the cartridge must not be exceeded under any circumstances.

A Article I found
Care, Chapter4

from 6mmbr:
MOLY -- Does It Extend Barrel Life?

I use them in my 308 and this is what I have found. Less cleaning time/effort, little to no POI shift from cold bore to warm bore as compare before I started coating bullets. You will see a drop in your velocity but you can increase your powder charge to get back to that velocity. (I know a couple guys that use moly just so they can push the bullets far faster than naked bullets, but I am not one of those that likes to exceed the data guides published max by much if any)

molly coated projectiles

Hi to all

Thanks to your responses they where great and helpful. Niles coyote thanks for the sites you put, they really helped me make my mind up about molly coating.

Thanks again
Sniperboy

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.