my first bolt action

lucky_lefty

I went to cabelas and asked for a rifle at the price they have in the flyers. they said it was while supplies lasts and no rain checks. So I asked to see what they have only a 30-06 when I asked about the 308 they said they were out and the guy tried selling me a thompson/center rifle with a venture sticker on it. Then the guy comes from out of the back and says 308 you said? I said yup and thats when he handed me a 308 marlin XS7. I said thanks looked at it and bought it for 279.00. I love how they say they are out without going into the back to check. it comes with a picitanny rail for a scope which I will start looking for in a week or so and I will start looking for dies to reload, along with a bipod. what magnifaction is good. I know nothing about this crap. here is a link to the rifle. I dont know what the animals on the upper right are for but if thats what I can hunt I will be very happy. Check it out!!

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/centerfireBoltAction/XS7.asp

I went to cabelas and asked for a rifle at the price they have in the flyers. they said it was while supplies lasts and no rain checks. So I asked to see what they have only a 30-06 when I asked about the 308 they said they were out and the guy tried selling me a thompson/center rifle with a venture sticker on it. Then the guy comes from out of the back and says 308 you said? I said yup and thats when he handed me a 308 marlin XS7. I said thanks looked at it and bought it for 279.00. I love how they say they are out without going into the back to check. it comes with a picitanny rail for a scope which I will start looking for in a week or so and I will start looking for dies to reload, along with a bipod. what magnifaction is good. I know nothing about this crap. here is a link to the rifle. I dont know what the animals on the upper right are for but if thats what I can hunt I will be very happy. Check it out!!

[URL="http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/centerfireBoltAction/XS7.asp"]http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/centerfireBoltAction/XS7.asp[/URL]

Good choice. Best of all, you can swap in Savage barrels.

A good scope for the money is the Bushnell 3200 5-15x40 Tactical. It's mil-dot. Tactical turrets. And repeatable clicks. About $300.

Congratulations on your new gun. Tell us how it shoots, and please post the pictures of the animals on the upper right corner that you can kill with it when you do.gun)
Good luck, and safe hunting.

May I suggest the Nikon Buckmaster line of scope. For as little as you pay for the scope, the optics are great. I would consider the 4.5-14X40 w/side focus. If you want more power then consider the 6-18X40. Both are very clear at full power. Another consideration depending on your money situation would be any of the elite series from Bushnell. I really like the 6-24X50 4200 Elite Tacticla. I have shot and used this scope and so far is holding up to the recoil of a 338 Lapua Magnum. One I have been told to try and has been going on marksmens guns, is the Vortex Viper. From the range reports and what I have seen and read, makes this a top of the line scope for little money. Then you could go nuts with scopes like Leupold Mk4's, Night Force, and Schmidt and Bender. IOR is an option, but have read there product and customer service is going south.

Good Luck,
Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.