Dillon XL650 kit or RCBS RC SUPREME MASTER KIT

My first question is what do you want to do - what is your final goal? Precision reload, Just reload, reload lots in a hurry or?
Single stage press: Give you the most control. Great for precision reloading.
Turret: faster reloading, a little less precise due to any play in the plate, etc.
Progressive: fastest, least control due to al the multiple actions on one stroke.
After you settle on your press, then look at quality dies.
Don't forget quality measuring tools etc. Good luck and have fun.

well i want to have same q in 1st and last bullet that i make for target
and close to it for hunting but for that reload is fine too
i also have plan to start shoot 25m targets with 9mm and that will need looooads of ammo
so that one in mid will be fine i guess like dillon rl550c or like ,that one is turret one ?

I began using a single stage RCBS press and still use it over 40 years later. I also own and use a Dillon 650 and three 1050's for higher production needs. Local availability of Redding was always very scarce and wanting fast access to dies and replacement parts I never used Redding but hear they are very good.

I use the RCBS for small runs limited to 100 or so rounds. That seems easier than setting up the 650 even where I keep caliber specific tool heads each with it's own powder drop. The 650 is for higher running pistol loads and to feed my M1 Garands.

All of the manufacturers listed in the various replies provide excellent customer service. You won't regret any of them.

My main criteria for selecting my first press was based on quality, availability and cost. I still use my old RCBS even though I have 4 Dillon presses. This is a testament to RCBS, especially since I (the company I own and operate that is) am a Dillon dealer and listed on the Dillon web site as such.

You might want to check out the YouTube video channel wiederladerTV. He has innumerable reviews and instructional videos of all sorts of firearms and reloading products in both German and English. He has recently (in the last couple of years) had to remove most of his content from the US version of YouTube. This is a real shame for us in the US - and - very ironic.

If I were looking to reload modest quantities of the 2 calibers you list, I would stick to a single stage press; not even one with a turret. If you want progressive or are considering a turret, definitely go to the Dillon 750 (the Dillon 750 replaced the 650 which is no longer in production).

I've not tried Redding presses but I have an rcbs that's older than I am . And it loads consistent precise ammo every time as long as I do what I'm supposed to . Just getting into reloading I personally could not imagine trying to keep up with a progressive press . But I'm also half simple. Maybe I misread but I'm certain your asking what to start with. Stick with a single stage and the outcome will be a lot more enjoyable and less stress.

I use my Dillon for all semi-auto, and my RCBS (rockchucker) for bolt action, and revolver. Dillon has great customer service. I would piece my equipment separately. You will end up with a better quality setup. They make money with the kits, by packaging the cheaper componets. Get the most current reloading manuels. Don't scrimp on your reloading equipment. Remember, "Buy once, cry once."

A few questions you need to ask before the purchase. Are you planning on loading handgun ammo in the future? Are you going to shoot large quantities of ammo? If not, I would start with a single stage press. And if it's going to be for 'target', best to get experience with each step of the process first. Keep in mind that there is a learning curve here. Starting with brass prep, seating depth, bullet selection and load data. Trying to mesh all of that on a progressive press seems a little much for someone starting out.

My first press with the Dillion 650, set up for .308 Win. I bought a RCBS Rockchucker within two months and use it more. Great press to learn on. I still use the Dillon, but changing from .308 to 223 or a magnum cartridge requires a bit more experience/knowledge than on a single stage. You really can't go wrong buying a good single stage. Whatever upgrades you get in the future, that single stage will still get plenty of use. Just sharing my experience. Others may agree or not. All things considered, the reloading community is very user friendly. As you can gather from these forums, people are really willing to help out. All of the manufactures that I have purchased products from (be it Dillon, RCBS, Lee, Redding, Hornady) have great customer service. Especially when it comes to tech support. Again some may disagree, but that has been my experience.

If you have never reloaded before, get a single stage press. You can not go wrong with Redding or RCBS. Have used both for over 50 years. Buy two or three reloading manuals, study them, and learn to load quality ammo first, before going to a progressive press. There are too many things to watch on a progressive for a beginner to keep up with. Just my 2 cents worth.

i just call 4 shops and from manual presses i can get in croatia
hornady lock'n load kind ,or lee kit's and lee load master for more advanced
nothing from any other brands ,,, crap i hope they wil have these

there is cz shop (https://en.strobl.cz/) that have all these lee,dillon,rcbs
problem is shipping from press is 50-60€ german shop i link up there for redding take 70-80€ so if something is wrong by by 100-160€ minimum

edit
one shop have rcbs,, rc supreme kit (cca 500€) and press alone 240€ ,,plus some things like powder unit ,trimming of shell etc

Last edited:
Of those choices I would recommend Redding first (don't buy the cheapest one if you are worried about a possible return - get the T-7 mentioned previously) then Hornady then Lee in that order. The T-7 will speed things up a bit going back and forth, not as fast as a progressive but better than a single.

friend find me shop in slovenia that sells lyman brass smith all american 8 turret press for 335€ with 50 primer loader tube
is she any good ?
by look on some videos it look like t7 in same shop t7 is 570€

I would go with the Dillon 550 if you are just starting out. It would be less frustrating. You can treat like a single stage if you want without having to change dies. I started with a RCBS Rockchucker. I still have it and now I have two 550's and a 650.

550c with 9mm kit cost 490€
another cal 60+100 with powder thing
hmm well will call them tomorrow and see what i get with t7 kit they sell if it's just press with turret and powder thing will go 550c
like cheaper option
thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts