Rolled my first! RCBS master kit...

grit

I got the rockchucker supreme kit for christmas. Yesterday the wife was off on erands all day. In the morning I bedded two actions. Then I built a reloading bench, and set things up.

The press:
Press was exceptionaly easy to set up. Bolt it down, attach handle.

Redding Dies:
Extremely easy to set up, no problem.

Powder measure:
Required a thorough degreasing. Took me a minute to figure out the adjustment screw fell out the feed tube. I used varget, for a 223. I set the drop about 27.3, then trickled to 27.5. Seemed to throw consistent charges. One could probably forego the trickling. I didn't see much correlation between the numbers on the adjustment screw, and the amount that dropped. Just in the neighborhood.

Hand priming tool:
There's a little shelf inside the tool the push rod hung up on. Took me a minute to figure this out. The redding shell holder didn't fit. There's a chamfer on the bottom of the shell holder. The redding's chamfers are smaller than the rcbs chamfer. I opted to buy rcbs shell holders, as I wasn't sure if they were the same thickness.
Once I got it put together, it worked very well.

Scale: Couldn't get any easier than this. The magnetic dampening is very nice. I was able to set the charge on the scale, and trickle up to 0 without a pause.

I didn't get the first batch finished until after dark, but I had to try them. Off I went, with target and little brother to hold the spot light. It was raining sideways. I set the target at 100, rested on a coat over the hood, and squeezed the first me- made round off. Maybe just a tiny flinch (I've never been so aware of the proximity of a chamber to my face!!). 50 grain v- max hit about a 1/4 high. Next shot hit about a 1/4 low. Then I settled down, squinted at the rain, and put the next three in the same hole! Didn't measure, but maybe 1/4".

Anyways, it was a lot of fun. Time for some ladder tests. Anybody do ladder tests for handguns? Or are the barrels short and stiff enough to make this pointless?

Hot dog !!!

Grit you are officially ruined /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Great Christmas gift as well !

I laughed at the part about the " Grit " reloaded rounds proximity to your face .

Well, good loading and better shooting are on your way , May the Lord bless ,

Jim B

I loaded first handloads for my .357 today. Good hell, what's all the space for? Three charges? A fella could get killed.

All went well. Loads grouped well.

Grit ,

I don't know if others do it but I use a flashlight to look in each and evey freshly powder chargerd case to verify proper charge before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I seat a bullet .

Good shooting ! , Jim

This should be on everyone's reloading bench (over 40)...

light.jpg

Inspecting cases and adding light where you need it...

Tac

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.