Did I just destroy my brass?

woodwurx

I just sonic cleaned 25 pieces of Norma brass. I normally dry the brass out in the sun or put in the oven at 150 deg Fahrenheit for 30 min, but this time, I put the brass in my wife's new toaster oven (I know, that was my first mistake). I accidentally put on toast mode instead of bake mode for five minutes and my brass came out completely pinkish/purplish like an annealed neck. I put a thermometer in the toaster oven after to check the temp and it reached about 550 F. I'm guessing the brass was only at that temp for 2-3 minutes. Sooo, do you think I destroyed the brass and I should just be safe and toss it or should I load it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 389
Annealing starts at 500, it will anneal at 600 in one hour. Anneals in seconds at
Like Barrelnut said, my first thought was to toss it, but considering it was only in for maybe 2 minutes at 550 compared to 600 for an hour, I'm rethinking tossing. I'm use to some tarnishing when normally oven drying, but this time the color was much darker

You just made some of the prettiest case hardened brass I have seen...
I doubt you ruined it.....load one and check it....one will do ya......

Could be perfectly fine, could just be soft enough to be one shot and done, could end with catostphic results.

Is your health and safety worth the risk over some brass?

I don't know what catastrophic results there would be. Worse case is the brass sticks or you have head separation, assuming your load is right and the gun is in good working order. I'd load one and shoot it. I'd bet they are fine.

Ya heck...contact norma and send picture and ask....i would bet its fine..color throughout isn't unheard of....i have some norma factory 7mm 175gr round nose that are close to that color.....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts