Did I ruin my new Federal Brass

Iron Worker

22-250AI loaded Sierra max load with 52 gr pill. (I worked up to it) it produced outstanding accuaracy. When I went to seat new primers in them one case wouldn't even hold a primer most others primer seated to easily. So the brass that does hold an easily seated primer ,are they still good or will they be innacurate? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Loose primer pockets is a sign of too much pressure. You need to back down the load. The brass is probably ruined now too.

What I do is get the brass ready to reload and when I prime the cases I sort them into three piles.

Pile #1 is the garbage can for those where the primer backs out when I rap the edge of the base of the case against the table sharply.

Pile #2 is for plinking laods and those are the cases where it takes very little pressure to seat the primer.

Pile #3 is for those cases that still have tight primer pockets and I load them hot.

Some lots of Federal brass were very soft. Try some Norma or Win. Be sure to start low and work up when changing brass.

Federal brass CAN be very soft just like mentioned above. BUT, I also go along with the idea that the load is most likely on the warm side. I would get some Rem/win brass and watch the primer pockets closely. If they get noticably loose in 3-4 loadings you are still too hot.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.