Did I have unrealistic expectations?

one more time, (this is not for you, but some other folks). Hardness has little to do with machinability. Fine example is a piece of Hestalloy, or better yet 349 stainless steel. The stainless steel will be well under 12 points RC, but go out there and start cutting it. Ampco bronze cuts like butter if you got your stuff right, but one slip up will eat your tooling alive. So what's the difference? Start off with nickel, and just for the fun of it add a little chrome.

By the way a chunk of Hestalloy will reduce a ABEC 7 or 9 grade bearing set to a grade three in about a half hour if things are not well over built
gary

And what do they say about opinions?

I can only get my Savage .243 and 22-250 to shoot about a half inch. If only I would have spent $24,000 dollars on a Remington clone, I might have got a 1/4 in. gun. My wallet is too soft like my Savage.

To the OP Ghost7, you could have a crap barrel, but doubt it seriously.

I have 2 -.243 rifles and a .22-250 cheap Savage that will do this, and spent way under $4000.00-$24,000.00........gun) The .22-250 has giving me 1/2 in 5 shot groups at 200 yards, 26" barrel. The .243's are 22" sporter's that give 1/2" at 100 yards... I load for everything.

I don't work on Savages because most consider them to be "Kit Guns". That's fine with me, but I usually have more then enough work and resist working on problems others have created themselves if things don't go well. Same applies to the AR rifles and the home built 1911s. I do, on occasion, have Hart Blanks that are "Savage" contoured that I custom thread, chamber & crown and offer for sale. I do 'match' AR 15 barrels using Hart blanks, too. I'm just not 'cool' enough to build guns for the movies.

Last edited:
WOW! I've been called a lot of things but never cheap. Isn't that profiling?

Ya', you could call that 'profiling'. Every human being 'profiles' in one way or another. It's just the government that's not allowed to 'profile'. That's how you decide. But, you could call it arrogant and obnoxious, too.

And what do they say about opinions?

I'd say Tricky is entitled to his. As a retired machine tool rebuilder/machinist/tool hand I think he's made more 'chips' than most who visit these forums. As for me, I've just got 41yrs. experience as a 'job shop' machinist/tool maker with a 2yr. degree from an accredited gunsmithing school. I know a little bit about machining. I can still discover something new every day.

Tightwad wants to report his data from the range. Little breezy this morning so I elected to run to the tube at my local bass pro. Controlled environment at 100 yds. Since I still don't have the bullets that I had to order I had loaded up some 90 gr noslers, 70 gr noslers and 85 gr sierras. The results are as follows:
90 gr nosler = 2.252" Very discouraging
70 gr nosler = .960" Still disappointing
85 gr sierras = .330" over varget 35.8 gr
= .913" over imr4064
= .377" over varget. 37.0 gr THERE IS HOPE!
I had already reserved a room at the local mental hospital if I didn't get some decent groups today. So excited, I now have confidence in this cheap rifle, a base to start from to continue this journey. 100 gr and 105 gr should be in this week.

Yes Tricky is, I like his facts. I have never had any action work done to any of my Savage's, that is not to say they could not use some. But for those that choose to think we are cheap for owning them, well that is just not right. Billy Stevens smithed 3 Remington's for me before I bought my first Savage. When I called and asked him if he did Savage's he politely told me no, and I was o.k. with that. Greg Tannel built my .300 Lapua which you would have to search Hi and Low to find a better smith, that rifle was not cheap and $4000.00 wasn't even close... I have one custom left, 1 Remington, and all the rest are Savage's, most with pre-fits or custom barrels, and they all shot outstanding. Will they set world records, I doubt it, but $ for $ they will give you a run for your money. I am waiting patiently for the Curtis action, that will be my next build, know any good Smith's ( that's a joke ). This is about getting Ghost7's .243 shooting, not how good or bad Savage's are. That is why the comment about opinions...

Respectfully,
Don Dunlap

. Ghost7, what 105 grain bullets are you going to try? Which powders do you have on hand?

[question]Will they set world records, I doubt it[/quote]

Savage F-TR Team — World-Beaters on a Budget « Daily Bulletin

Not world records but not too shabby.

Now before we get the usual, "they were not stock, they were bla, bla, bla. I read and watched interviews with Team Savage members and they said they were "bone stock" except for one member skim bedded his stock, one used a different cheek rest. Monte Milanuk said the barrels are 100% stock Savage, "if you don't believe me you can look down the barrel with a bore scope" he said. Savage barrels. One Remington wadi commented, "well they were paid by Savage to shoot Savage rifles". Well no &*%^ sparky! Does that like make the rifles more accurate?

Dgd6mm, as far as the 105 goes, the Berger match. I should have picked up a box of Hornady 105 Amax today while at Bass Pro just to see how the 9.25 twist stabilizes it. They actually had two boxes. I've got some Sierra 100 gr coming as well. As far as powder goes I only have imr4064 and varget. When I said I was new to the game, I meant it. I started reloading about 6 weeks ago and the results I got from that with my .223 and .22-250 made me want to start pushing the distance. From there I did some research and decided on the savage 12LRP in .243. I don't know anyone around here who shoots out to a grand but it interested me so here we are. I've learned an immense amount in the last six weeks. I can't get enough. I've hunted my whole life and love to shoot bows as well as firearms. I think the thing that spurred the long range desire the most is that a buddy and I were coyote hunting a couple months ago and was given a 1200 yd opportunity at about a dozen hogs, well needless to say we weren't even close but it's not unrealistic. I know that isn't an ethical shot but on hogs...... I don't care what others say. Sorry for the lengthy bio but this was the spark. Back to topic though, do you think the 105 gr is too much for the 9.25 twist? What about the 107's? Another rambling thought, I can't see why anyone who loves to shoot wouldn't want to develop the skill and ability to shoot out to 1000 plus and be somewhat confident in their ability to connect no matter what they spend. Had to get that in there.

I've learned an immense amount in the last six weeks. I can't get enough.

Reason you have a fast learning curve is you want to learn.

Your Savage 243 is 1-9.25 twist rate. 105 Berger VLD requires a 1-8. The 105 Hornady A-Max will should work in your rifle. They have in mine.

Dgd6mm,
The dealer who sold me the savage, who actually recommended the CHEAP rifle over many other and more expensive brands, called savage for me and the lady he talked to recommended the 100gr being the optimum load for that twist. I listened to conversation as it was on speaker. I don't know her or know what she knows but it didn't sound like she had to look it up, she just fired that info right at us.
I don't know where all This will go but I think once I find a 100 gr plus that will shoot around 1/3 to 1/4" at a hundred I will be confident enough in my setup to move on out working towards 1000. Baby steps. I can't tell you how relieved I was to get the 85 gr sierras to group 1/3" today. That was huge! I was starting to think I had a lemon. Patience will be key and plenty of mistakes ahead but it will be exciting. I can only shoot about 150yds at my house and will have to travel to shoot great distances unless one of my neighbors will let me shoot in one of their pastures, not sure about that though.

Wbm,
You have an opinion of any other 105's? See, I now know that I prob needed a 1:8" twist, didn't know this a couple weeks ago but it is one of many mistakes to come, what better way to learn? It is what it is and I'm gonna go with it. Too much to learn in the process to just go buy exactly what I need because to be honest, I didn't know what I needed. Hopefully I can find a good 105 that will fly for this rifle. I have read posts that guys have said the Bergers would, I guess we will see. You have any 100 gr bullets you like or have experience with?

The Amax is one of the most popular with 1-9 twist guys. There may be others but I don't know offhand. I really like the 95gr Sierra Match King. Pretty good BC at .480. Get that one to 3100fps and it is still doing 1425fps at 1000 (24" barrel at Sea Level).
That velocity is very doable in your 26" barrel.
Never used 100gr much except in factory hunting ammunition.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.