what did I do?

We buy quite a bit of stuff from them, I hope they extend prices to everyone.

In the bargain barn, look at the carbon fiber stocks. AG. You have to put it in the cart to get the $399 price plus 10% off. $359.....

Just did it, they only have the Olive ones in stock...

Brian

Cut up some business cards and place the strips under the forend before you torque the action down. If the barrel needs to have a dampen pad this method will work.
Cut the card across 1/2"wide. Play with it at the range with how many strips your gun prefers.
To make pillars for a tupperware stock purchase some hollow threaded rod like used for electric lamp fixtures
hollow threaded rod | eBay
Drill out the holes so that you can thread the hollow rod into the holes. Run them in. I cut slots so I can use a screw driver. Once you have them in and at the correct height, back them out. Make sure your height was good because this can be a disaster if you booger it up. Use pvc cement and coat the threaded rod. Run them in and you now have pillars in your tupperware stock. You can rough up the surface around the recoil lug to try glass bedding as a diy. It won't stay very long but it will give you something to practice on so you can bed a laminate or pillared stock from the aftermarket down the road

Cut up some business cards and place the strips under the forend before you torque the action down. If the barrel needs to have a dampen pad this method will work.
Cut the card across 1/2"wide. Play with it at the range with how many strips your gun prefers.
To make pillars for a tupperware stock purchase some hollow threaded rod like used for electric lamp fixtures
hollow threaded rod | eBay
Drill out the holes so that you can thread the hollow rod into the holes. Run them in. I cut slots so I can use a screw driver. Once you have them in and at the correct height, back them out. Make sure your height was good because this can be a disaster if you booger it up. Use pvc cement and coat the threaded rod. Run them in and you now have pillars in your tupperware stock. You can rough up the surface around the recoil lug to try glass bedding as a diy. It won't stay very long but it will give you something to practice on so you can bed a laminate or pillared stock from the aftermarket down the road

That is brilliant! Thank you, that should let me get it up and running again, at least untill I gather the money for a new stock, which I have been planning soon anyway.

Why not put the old trigger back in and see if the stock fit issue goes away? Just gets the possibility out of the way that additional inletting needs to be done with the new trigger.

I might do that. It will have to wait till Monday though at this point. I have used up my time to work on it till then.

Thanks all very much for the help and suggestions.

You were shooting 1/2 MOA 10 shot groups? Is your rifle for sale with the original trigger and Tupperware stock ?

Shortgrass,

Yeah I can see clearance all the way around the trigger when I put the stock on the action.

RMulhern,

Tried that procedure, barrel still floating. It is the factory SPS stock, from what I have read it can not really be pillared because the plastic used in it is a natural release agent.

Yep! Know all about that *** stock! That's why I pulled the barreled action out of that stock and installed it into the one you see in below photo! Has aluminum bedding block which I milled out and then bedded! Shoots like onto a dream!

VS308 by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Is it a proven load?
I had a great summer time load using IMR 4350, just to discover it fell apart when the temps went below 30 degrees.
It went from 1/2 Moa to 3 Moa..

Seen this a few times with the plastic stocks. Until you get a decent stock I would alternate the gradual tightening of the the bedding screws while tapping the end of the barrel with a plastic mallet to insure the recoil lug is firmly seated against the rear of the recess......a lack of contact being the most common culprit. Torque to 35#. Lipstick can be used to check contact........also with your new trigger. Caution! ....this may **** your wife off.

kyron, save yourself a ton of grief, get a good stock on it and bed it. When you install the new one check for clearance of the inletting. While model specific, aftermarket stocks ar generically produced to fit. You can pay <$200 for a laminate or >$600 for the high ends. Your rifle will then shoot consistently which equals better accuracy. Perhaps the purchase of a inch-pound torque wrench if you don't have one. Good luck

Is your magazine box binding/preventing your stock from being fully seated? That's about the only thing I can think of that would physically prevent your stock from clamping all the way down against the action. The mag box should be loose enough in there to be jiggled a little bit--if it's not, that will tell you it's a culprit.

But I also recommend getting a different stock--you've upgraded 50% of the rifle component(s) that should get you better accuracy, with the other 50% being a better stock (preferably bedded, too).

Otherwise the scope could be at fault, or your bore could be really dirty.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts