Devcon Titanium Vs Plastic Steel Putty

Iclimb

Ok I was wondering which between these devcon products has the longest "working time". I've read that there is a steeper learning curve with the titanium which leads me to believe that it is the shortest of the two. I've bedded 1/2 a dozen rifles so I have some experience. Also of the two, which is easier upon clean-up to trim etc. And lastly, of the two which would you prefer to work with (cost not being an issue). I know there are a million threads on this and believe me I have looked. I was just trying to get a few specific answers. Seems like the first reply is always try acra-glass or high-score or marinetex... So, I'm not particularly interested in any of those and was just wondering about these devcon products.
Thanks

I've never used either product but if you look at the data sheets on their website it shows the pot life to be 21 minutes at 75° for the Titanium putty and 45 minutes at 75° for the Steel putty.

Thanks, that's the plastic steel p/n. I'll probably go that route. I've heard of lots of people using the titanium but it's usually $100 per lb vs the 10110 which can be found for around $40. I just found some titanium for $48/lb so that's why I was considering it.

I prefer using bedding with Stainless steel fillers because they have near the same coefficient of expansion as the receiver/barrel and will not rust on the surface of the bedding.

Other materials like Titanium, brass, fiber glass, Aluminum, ETC can grow at a different rate as the rifle/action heats up and may change the POI.

The main reason we bed our rifles is to prevent them from moving in the stock, so the bedding material must be very stable in my opinion.

Pot life will vary between bedding compounds and the temperature you apply it at (The higher the faster it cures)so read the instructions and keep a close eye on it the first few times until you have a good feel for pot life.

Cost is not the issue. titanium is a great material for some things but not for others.

A good example of this is, A good friend used Titanium for muzzle brake material, and after a few shots the brake would come lose from the difference in heat expansion of the barrel steel and the Titanium,no mater how tight he made it up.

In my opinion, use the Devcon with the stainless filler. (Or any other bedding compound you like
with ss fillers).

J E CUSTOM

interesting, never thought of that. Well that makes me think of possibly using the devcon Aluminum putty. The expansion should be the same as an Al bedding block. In theory I guess. Thoughts? Thanks for the info. I went with the 10110. Its for a friends rifle. I decided to give it a run.

Thanks, that's the plastic steel p/n. I'll probably go that route. I've heard of lots of people using the titanium but it's usually $100 per lb vs the 10110 which can be found for around $40. I just found some titanium for $48/lb so that's why I was considering it.:D:rolleyes::cool::)

***---

It turned out alright. It is harder to trim but the dremel took care of that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 540
Don't be discouraged. You will get it eventually. :D I believe technique to get it stress free is more important than what you use. If you like Devcon, use it.

For me Devcon titanium has a really short working time. I believe too fast for rifle bedding. That said I don't like Devcon for bedding. In the industrial environment it was great. Time is money. I have used it for tons of repairs and it works fine for what it's for. Patching things. I used to use a lot of it when I was a millwright. We used the various Devcon products for patching damaged steel plate, flanges and bearing bores.

At one time the Army Marksmanship unit was pushing Marine Tex as does McMillan. I can no longer find any references to the Army using it anymore but McMillan states that's what they specify for all the military bedding. I use a lot of McMillan stocks and also use MarineTex for skim bedding bed blocks on HS Precision and Bell and Carlson stocks. I mill pockets for it to sit in keeping it in compression where it's strongest. It has given me excellent results year after year.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.