Designing my Long Range Rifle

Blaktastic

For weeks now I have been looking for a good long range rifle. I have a good amount of shooting experience and know just enough about firearms to get by. I would like to keep my setup below $2000 and the guns I've decided to choose from are the Savage (in either model 11 or 12) or the Remington 700 Sendero SF II. Both of these rifles claim to have amazing out of the box accuracy and that's why I chose them. I would like to be able to shoot accurately with these guns at about 600-800 yards and be able to kill things as big as a deer or elk. Here is the picky part...I want the caliber big but not TOO big because I still enjoy killing cyotes and fox also. I already have 2 rifles in the .308 caliber so it doesn't make a lot of sense to get another one but it does seem like the sort of caliber in would need. Aside from the hunting aspect I also enjoy doing a little target shooting and plan to do a lot more into it with this rifle.

Sendero- The lowest caliber this rifle comes in is the .264 win mag. Would this caliber be big enough to take out big game yet cheap and easy enough to find? What would I have to have done to this rifle in order for it to shoot accuratly at 600-800 yards?

Savage- What model would be best for me and my situation? I was thinking the model 11 in the hunter series but I hear nothing but good things about the model 12 varmiters aswell. The bedding on most savages seem to be very poor and a lot of people get the re-bedded. Would it be beneficial for me to do the same? Again, what would I have to get done to this rifle in order for it to shoot accuratly at 600-800 yards?

Scope- I have always been a big fan of the leupold scopes and would really like to put one on this rifle. I was looking at the Mark 4s and I like them. The problem is the Mk4 6.5 -20x50 is around $1200 and that is the one I want. Is there a scope just like this one that will fit my needs but be half the price?

So basically I am asking you guys to pick out a setup that you think would best fit me. All replies to this thread are greatly appreciated.

I own both, sort of. I have a Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag, and a Savage 110FP in 25-06. Both are the most accurate rifles I own. Nothing else that I own matches them.

The Sendero is heavier with a much nicer stock, nicer action and nicer (modified) trigger. It's quite the load if you wish to carry it anywhere - but you probably know that. This one will shoot 600-800 yards easily, factory stock, with factory ammo. At least, it should since it will shoot 1 inch groups at 200 yards. Next summer I'll find out how it does at 300-500.

The Savage has a bull barrel and a crappy plastic stock - though the stock doesn't compromise any accuracy. I plan to swap to a B&C Duramaxx stock this winter because it's the only stock that fits the rifle without going to a $400-500 semi-custom. Factory stock with factory ammo it shoots less than 1 inch at 200 yards.

If you don't plan on carrying the rifle much, I'd lean toward a Savage with a non-bull barrel and use that as your starting point. Carrying around either one of these is not that fun with the heavy barrel weight. If I were going to buy one to use specifically for long range and didn't want to mess with it I'd buy the Sendero. FYI, you'll still want to have the trigger tuned or replaced.

Graybull Precision builds long range rifles in 243, 264 Mag and 7mm Mag. I've seen their videos of a 243 and 265 shooting elk at long ranges, so it is possible. It all comes down to shot placement and your familiarity with the rifle.

For scopes, I'd look at a Sightron S-II or S-III, or a Zeiss Conquest. I own both as well as Leupolds, and I'd buy a Sightron or Zeiss before another Leupold again.

Good luck!

For the scope you can get a v-x-||| and send it back into leupold and they will put m1 turrets on for 60 bucks a piece. So about 700 in scope and 120 in turrets and 20 buck in shipping and you have a mark 4 for 350 to 450 less and it is the same scope.

The Sendero in a 264 is about the only thing that could seduce me to own any Remington product anymore! But, I would have the Savage custom shop put together a Model 12 in a 270 WSM, they used to offer it and I shoot one in a factory rig and it is awesome in the ranges your looking at, I also load 110gr bullets in it for coyote and you won't find a hotter varmint rig that hits as hard as a 270 WSM with 110 gr pills it's like a 22-250 with twice the bullet!:D
Or, a Savage target model in a 6.5x284gun)

The Sendero SFII is good to go right out of the box. Most of my friends shoot the Sendero SFII in 7mm mag and with Berger bullets they are getting about 1/2 moa. They are way into long range shooting and have been killing elk between 600 and 800 yards regularly. I went another route and got a Savage target action with a Krieger barrel (I got it off of this site). It shoots about 1/2 moa also. The 7mm or 300 win mag are had to beat for an all around long range rifle. I must say the Savage with the accustock and accutrigger are hard to beat. I hear good things about Savage's new long range hunter, if you can find one. The .264 mag is good enough for long range elk with good bullets and good shot placement but the 7mm is hard to beat for ammo availability and price.

Good luck.

Use the two 30's you have for fox and coyote and get a 338 RUM for long range elk. Or the savage in 300 RUM if the 338 RUM is not available. I think the savage now is better than the remington off the shelf. The 264 will kill elk at long range with proper placement but it is marginal for that purpose.

I would go with the 300 WSM. Great barrel life and top notch accuracy with bullets up to 210s at 2850-3000 depending on how fast you push them.

Can also drop down to 125 Btips.

Go to Sharp Shooter Supply and get one of his in stock tuned and timed actions for $500

He has chambered custom barrels in stock and a line of stocks that are very good.

You are into a top notch rig for about $1200 or so with custom barrel.

Second choice would be a 7mm (280 AI, 7mm Weatherby) shooting the new Hornady 162s that are coming out. Go with a 9 twist.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.