Annealing?

I'm going to build a case annealer, has doing this helped anyone's groups? I was thinking it might help with the odd flier, or make better groups, at least extend my case life.

You want the necks just to start turning red, and remove before they do?
this is the one I got with the two torch set up love it will do 100 cases in no time at all. http://bench-source.com/id81.html

Do it in a dark room and you'll see the glow

Annealing greatly benefits brass that is not uniform.

If you have fresh lapua/adg/peterson it will not give you much improvement if any at all.

Depending on how much you work the case when sizing, it can give some better case life. It is not necessary to do every time either.
I am going to disagree with this last statement. If you don't anneal every time, your necks will work harden each time you seat/fire/size/seat, and you will get a discrepancy in brass hardness. This effects neck tension, which effects bullet seating and release.

I am going to disagree with this last statement. If you don't anneal every time, your necks will work harden each time you seat/fire/size/seat, and you will get a discrepancy in brass hardness. This effects neck tension, which effects bullet seating and release.
It also is going to make bumping the shoulder back, less consistant also.

if you dont properly anneal or dont anneal at all
I anneal with an amp after ever round. i never have to adjust my dies. Just check the first couple and you can simply feel the consistent pressure everytime. It even translates to when your seating bullets. Set you dies, and you can simply feel if one is out of out of the norm
I had an annelez, it was alright
Bought an amp, id never go back

What's the temp of what one wants, the 750?
Annealing is a function of TEMP and TIME. At 750 degrees Fahrenheit, it will take 1 hour for cartridge brass to properly anneal. That length of time will allow the heat to propagate down the cartridge and you will anneal not only the neck but the entire cartridge (bad).You need a higher temp for a shorter time, think seconds. Brass begins to glow red at about 1100 degrees Fahrenheit and at that tempt only takes 2-3 seconds to properly anneal. I would forgo the Tempilaq and watch for the glow in a dark room.

Last edited:
An induction annealer like the AMP is definitely the way to go. If you don't have or want to spend that much money, you can build your own and there are many resources on the net to help with that. I built my own for about $300 based on the one here (https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/induction-brass-annealer-redux.3908353/), with some upgrades including a flame sensor to control the annealing time.

I don't trust the heat until it glows red method. I was recently annealing some adg brass with a flame. I put some 700 degree tempilaq inside the case neck to see how close to 700 degrees before it turns red. The tempilaq burned off after approximately 2 seconds and I cooked that thing at least another 5 seconds and it never turned red.