building my first long range rifle

In my world it would be a sin to chamber a winchester with a remington round.
The 70 is a great choice and I have to agree with the gentleman that believes the .264 is quite capable and stylish in iits 6 to 7mm category. Just for thought, I have a 300 model 70 that puts to shame many. It's so enjoyable to dial in with everything from 130 to 225 grain bullets. For hunting you can't beat the versatility. Good Luck and happy hunting

Thanks for your opinon and normally I would agree but I have another model 70 in 264 that shoots good and this gun is in poor shape and the barrel is shot out. The model 70 action is the strongest American action built and will be just right to handle the big 7mms. Im leaning towards the 7mmSTW or the 7mm Ultra Mag. Its my opinon to rebuild this gun rather then sit it in the safe with my other original model 70s. And even if I rechambered it to a Winchester caliber it will not improve the value as it still wont be original.

Thanks for your opinon and normally I would agree but I have another model 70 in 264 that shoots good and this gun is in poor shape and the barrel is shot out. The model 70 action is the strongest American action built and will be just right to handle the big 7mms. Im leaning towards the 7mmSTW or the 7mm Ultra Mag. Its my opinon to rebuild this gun rather then sit it in the safe with my other original model 70s. And even if I rechambered it to a Winchester caliber it will not improve the value as it still wont be original.

Classic gun calls for a classic wildcat (at the time of course) 7STW gets my vote.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.