building my first long range rifle

model70fan

Ive decided to build myself a long range rifle out of an old pre64 model 70 I have in 264 win mag. Ive decided on chambering the gun in 7mm rem mag. What I wanting to know is whos barrel I should use and the best twist for long range accuracy. This is my first attempt at building a gun for shooting long ranges (out to 1000) so any advice would be great.

7 mag is not really a good case to start with. It doesn't hold enough powder for long barrels and the slowest powders. You are better off with something like a 7STW or even a 7 ultra mag. The 7 mag will be blowing the primers out and still be a couple hundred FPS behind it's bigger brothers.

Why not stay with the .264 Win Mag.? My buddy has an improved (fire formed case to hold more powder). The very first time he shot 1,000 yd. bench rest he came in second place with a 6" group shooting 140 gr. Bergers I think. Hadn't even worked up an accuracy load yet. A very flat shooting and accurate rifle.

joseph

Don't be easily fooled. The 7Rem Mag will do ya just fine. There sure seems to be a push to the RUM and STW. The 7mag has been shooting 1000 yards just fine since the time of its birth. I would recommend a little longer barrel. Something in the neighborhood of 27-28 inches will fit the bill nicely. You will be running the 168 grain Bergers to over 3000 FPS and have ample energy for even Elk to 1000 yards if you care to. There is a reason that these long range turnkey systems are chambering their rifles in the 7mm Rem. It is because it works. Sure the RUM and the STW will get you there faster, but it comes at quite a price too.

Yes, I used a 7mm for years and really thought that i had something. but when you pull out the Chronograph lots of 7mag loads were very optimistic. When I bought my 7STW i was so impressed I would NOT ever let a friend buy a 7 mag. Just like the I've got to have a weatherby because it shoots so much faster. But in reality the reloading books don't give out the level playing field of comparing 22 & 24 inch barrels compared to the Weatherby 26 inch

The chrono doesn't lie! I'm also big on long barrels and slow powders.

Last edited:
Don't alter anything. The Pre-64 Win is a highly sought after collector's rifle that is worth a good coin to a reputable Winchester collector. Just a thought, may want to reconsider building on that action and buying a new one to build on. They are hard to come by now days.

Tank

Don't alter anything. The Pre-64 Win is a highly sought after collector's rifle that is worth a good coin to a reputable Winchester collector. Just a thought, may want to reconsider building on that action and buying a new one to build on. They are hard to come by now days.

Tank

I'll second that.

joseph

As stated, you have a classic rifle and chambering that might be better off left unmolested.

If you do decide to rebarrel and start tweaking things, staying with the 264 would keep the classic chambering and provide plenty of performance. The 264 is the parent case for the 7 mag and the 6.5 140VLD has the same basic BC as the 7mm 168VLD but you get to launch it faster. It makes for a real performer.

The 7 mag is great as well and is a super platform for balancing a heavier bullet with shooter-friendly recoil, but a pre 64/264 is old school cool.:cool:

Last edited:
Ive 8 pre 64 model70 and I know what they are worth but this gun has the barrel shot out and isnt in very good shape to start with so rechambering this action to me is a good route to go. I like the suggestions you all have given me and ive been reading about the big 7mms and am considering trying a 7mmSTW now. Does anybody know anything about Kreiger barrels.

. I like the suggestions you all have given me and ive been reading about the big 7mms and am considering trying a 7mmSTW now. Does anybody know anything about Kreiger barrels.

Presently I have four different vendors aftermarket barrels. all of them good with some innovative concepts. You need to read up on the theory behind 3 groove barrels. I even bought a 30 inch barrel for my 30-378 with an increasing twist rate cut rifling.

You look up every barrel manufacturer and the prices are all pretty close. You will enjoy the 7STW i would recommend 28 inch. I stewed over going 30 inch, but I came across an article talking about the barrel length and diminishing returns for inches longer.

I predominately use 175 spbt for elk hunting with my 7STW. Out of the 5 elk all one shot taken by myself and loaned to friends. No bullet was ever recovered. it is probably do to the fact that they were all taken at sub 250 yrds.

I like Brux I have one and will be getting another for a 243 Win project. The guys at Brux are great to work with and will answer any questions you have.

They helped me on my first rifle build and am not sorry I went with a Brux.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts