Designing a rifle, need help!

Thats better in size but pic quality sucks!

px837

px83m

px840

px848

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

yea i have a 7mm rum im going to have that one done when the barrel wears out but thanks for the advise im still new at the long range trying to learn as much as possible

I also contacted Dan Lilja when I was researching my 338 Kahn project and he told me flat out for a single shot 338-378 Wby, he woudl see not reason why the Rem 700 action would not perform safely.

As a repeater there really is not a good way to make the Rem 700 work with the big Wby or Rigby.

Here are the pics of a little better detail with my Barrel Bedding V-Block design. Most of these pics are of a 7" V-Block embedded into a Holland Signature Laminated stock. This block uses 2 bolts. The Kahn uses a 10" block with a 3 bolt mounting system.

u3k2e

This the V-Block engraving on the barrel.

u3k36

The bottom of the stock shows the only signs of anything different about this V-Block rifle compared to a conventionally bedded rifle.

u3k46

This view shows the mounting holes in the barrel as well as the solid bottom aluminum insert that in this case is epoxied into the action. In heavy recoiling rifles, this insert is steel bedded into the action.

u3k8i

This is the top view of the V-Block in the laminated stock. This is the only thing that touches teh barreled action in any way except the recoil lug rear surface.

u3k9e

The bolt nose on the Rem 700 is plenty large for the 338-378 round which is about 0.010" smaller in diameter then the Rigby. Still one needs to pay attention when machining to only remove enough to work properly and no more.

u3k9u

This view of the Kahn shows how far the bolt can be pulled back after the bolt stop has been modified. This adds nearly .500" to the bolt throat.

u3kae

The Kahns 26 lb weight with nearly 15 lbs in the barreled action made me use a three bolt mounting V-Block for added serurity with the intensity of the chambering.

As far as the Super Sniper. I am testing the 16x version on this rifle simply because I was having so many of my customers asking my opinion of them so I wanted to have a solid opinion on an actual scope used on a rifle for long range shooting.

It is certainly not a Nightforce but for $300 it is far more scope then I was expecting. It has more vertical adjustment then the NF 5.5-22 NXS and so far it seems to be very accurate.

One thing that will limits success with experienced long range shooters is that after a scope adjustment, the first shot is roughly 1 moa off the shots there after adn the shot generally lands high. So those that want to dial in their adjustments all the time, this scope, at least the one I have will raise some hell with your first shot hits.

After that initial shot the scope settles down very well and the adjustments are accurate and consistant.

Still in many cases that first shot can be the most important and for those cases, this is not the scope, at least not this specific scope.

Judgign an entire production of scopes by only one is foolish but do not expect NF precision at $300.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.