building a rifle need help picking caliber

If it was me I would build a.243 or .243AI with 1:7 twist for the heavys with a 28 or 30" barrel and never look back.

This is what I am going to do BUT will be building it on a 30-06 length action. Why? That way I can stretch the long bullets out and fit as much powder as I can behind them.

I'd probably also do a 260. Rem/AI or a 6x47 lapua. Currently shoot a 260. Rem and putting together a 6x47 lapua

Last edited:
What's the benefits of the 6mm or 6.5 mm x47?

The 6 & 6.5 x 47 Lapuas benefit from high quality lapua brass (if you anneal you could get up to 15-20 reloads out of a case), and a small primer pocket. With a bushed firing pin, you can run em on the warm side with Varget, H4350, or RL-17. I like em both and have rifles chambered in both calibers. I don't have a favorite between the two. I have a Bartlein 8 twist in the 6x47 L, and a Benchmark 8twist in the 6.5x47L. Both shoot very well.

22-284, wow. That must be a screamer. I'd love to shoot it, but not own it. ;)

Surprisingly, the 22-250 AI is a screamer. My dad threw together what we considered would be a safe load with rl-26. In his 26in shilen we were astonished to see a average of 3555 come across the Chrono with a 75 eld. I believe the charge was 45.5.

So I picked a rem 700 short action up at a gun show this morning whats the best 6mm or 6.5mm to build on a short action

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts