Building a custom rifle...Caliber help.

I've been researching the 7mm's and wsm this afternoon. Turns out trying to build one gun to rule than all is Brutal.

I've been researching the 7mm's and wsm this afternoon. Turns out trying to build one gun to rule than all is Brutal.

I discovered that a long time ago...Which is why my safes are so diversified. Unfortunately that equates alot of money for reloading crap, ammo, brass, etc... LOL

I have always wanted a custom gun. So I'm in a position to build one. I have a 308 and lots of ammo for plinking and range shooting. I know it will do everything I want to do. I want a different caliber though. I'm going to have Southern Precision Rifles build me a gun. This will be a gun I hand down to my son, So I want it done right.
The calibers I'm considering are 300WM or 6.5 creedmoor. I'M OPEN TO OTHER CALIBERS AS WELL! Not looking for anything larger than 300WM. I want a commercial bullet that I can pick up at walmart if need be, so no wild builds. I will be purchasing reloading equipment withing the next couple of months, so I will be reloading my ammo. I'm Looking into shooting 600\1000 yard competitions with this rifle, although i can shoot my 308 at that range as well. Let me know what you think.
For your chosen application my preference would be the .260 Rem. Of the two choices you list I'd go with the 6.5 Creedmore.

Unless you just want a 300WM I'd forget about that one, a 7RM trumps it with less recoil/powder. My first choice thou would be something in the 6.5 or 243 realm

Unless you just want a 300WM I'd forget about that one, a 7RM trumps it with less recoil/powder. My first choice thou would be something in the 6.5 or 243 realm

I'm one of the biggest 7mm fans on this site, but I'd have to say you are misinformed... The 7mm RemMag and .300 WinMag only hold minimal differences in powder charges (look in a reloading manual sometime). It does have slightly less recoil, but not enough to measure. I've had considerable trigger time and reloading experience with both calibers. Also, powder consumption is nearly the same for similar bullet weight to case size ratio, which will be the .300 WM holding about 5gr of powder more than the 7RM for a similar weight-for-caliber bullet. Hardly significant.

Once again, I am one of the biggest 7mm fans on here, but if we're gonna post facts, let's make sure they're accurate.

Hahaha

My 300wm/210VLD/2900fps=31 ft/lbs recoil (10lb rifle)

My 7rm/168VLD/3025fps=23 ft/lbs recoil (10lb rifle)

The BC's on both are nearly the same and the 7 takes less MOA to get to 1k...

Feeding both Retumbo the 300 eats roughly 9 more grains....

Where did I lose you?

Hahaha

My 300wm/210VLD/2900fps=31 ft/lbs recoil (10lb rifle)

My 7rm/168VLD/3025fps=23 ft/lbs recoil (10lb rifle)

The BC's on both are nearly the same and the 7 takes less MOA to get to 1k...

Feeding both Retumbo the 300 eats roughly 9 more grains....

Where did I lose you?

BC has nothing to do with what I am talking about. I'm talking about recoil and powder consumption.

Compare proper weight-for-caliber bullets. Such as 180gr for 7mm vs 210 for .308.... Or 195 Matrix for 7mm and 230gr for .308.

Then your scales aren't so flawed, and are much closer. Also, the powder charge should be within 7 grains MAX, unless you're running up hot loads on purpose to make the numbers more skewed.

I know the BC of both are comparable, and that the 7 wins. I have over five different 7mm rifles in all sorts of calibers....And many .30 calibers as well. I am not putting down the 7mm. You are trying to turn this into some stupid contest, and it isn't.

Oh, and the cocky and smug attitude doesn't help your case. And you never lost me, you lost yourself along the way. If you knew what you were talking about, then why did you bring bullet BC into a recoil and powder consumption conversation?

Reading comprehension is important when being a smartass.

.....so we agree, the 7 does the same with less recoil and powder consumption which I said in my first post. No need to get ugly, little late for that though...

I have always wanted a custom gun. So I'm in a position to build one. I have a 308 and lots of ammo for plinking and range shooting. I know it will do everything I want to do. I want a different caliber though. I'm going to have Southern Precision Rifles build me a gun. This will be a gun I hand down to my son, So I want it done right.
The calibers I'm considering are 300WM or 6.5 creedmoor. I'M OPEN TO OTHER CALIBERS AS WELL! Not looking for anything larger than 300WM. I want a commercial bullet that I can pick up at walmart if need be, so no wild builds. I will be purchasing reloading equipment withing the next couple of months, so I will be reloading my ammo. I'm Looking into shooting 600\1000 yard competitions with this rifle, although i can shoot my 308 at that range as well. Let me know what you think.

Well everyone knows which one id pick....... The 6.5 Creedmoor is low recoil, extremely accurate, and has excellent barrel life. It can also be used to hunt at those distances on medium sized game. I went through the same dilema that you did on a caliber. I was torn between a 7RM and the Creed' and i went Creedmoor. I was having second thought on my purchase til i shot the rifle. That sold me:D An absolute joy to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.