Building a custom rifle...Caliber help.

Lrdchaos

I have always wanted a custom gun. So I'm in a position to build one. I have a 308 and lots of ammo for plinking and range shooting. I know it will do everything I want to do. I want a different caliber though. I'm going to have Southern Precision Rifles build me a gun. This will be a gun I hand down to my son, So I want it done right.
The calibers I'm considering are 300WM or 6.5 creedmoor. I'M OPEN TO OTHER CALIBERS AS WELL! Not looking for anything larger than 300WM. I want a commercial bullet that I can pick up at walmart if need be, so no wild builds. I will be purchasing reloading equipment withing the next couple of months, so I will be reloading my ammo. I'm Looking into shooting 600\1000 yard competitions with this rifle, although i can shoot my 308 at that range as well. Let me know what you think.

Based on your post you're looking for a hunting rifle. I'd suggest the 7mm STW. If the recoil is too much for the shooter (I handle it just fine) just add a good muzzle brake. Go hunting and never look back.gun)

If your going to be hunting then the 300. winny is a great round! plenty of good factory ammo and when it comes to reloading if you go with a 1:10 twist barrel then the 210 and 215 bergers make an excellent long range killer or match rifle!

As for the 6.5 creedmoor i don't know if its just were i am but the availability of brass and ammo aren't as popular as some other great round out there and is the reason i have pushed it along even though i considered it myself. Performance wise the 260 has the same ballistics as the 6.5 creedmoor and there is more commercial ammunition and more available brass for reloading (remington, nosler and Lapua). Plus you could go with a 260. AI instead gain a few FPS over both calibers and still shoot factory 260 if all needs be.

So do you plan on hunting with it? If not 6.5 creedmoor would be my choice. If you do a faster 6.5 or going even larger a 300 win or wsm would be my choice. As mentioned above a 300 win shooting 210-215gr would be a great combo no matter what you use it for.

No I do not plan on hunting with this rifle. I have my 308 for plinking and hunting. This rifle will be my dedicated 6-1000 yard rifle. It will more than likely never see the field other than maybe shooting a coyote. Sorry if my post was unclear. I plan on building the rifle to around 14-15lbs so it won't be fun to carry. Having a 308 is the only thing holding my back on the creedmoor. I'm going to start reloading so that would make the 300 a little cheaper to shoot. I don't need a 300, just like the round, but when I'm spending 3500+ just liking the round isn't enough.

So extra killing power won't be needed. Ever thought about going with a 243? It's not sexy but it would be a good choice for what you want to do. That and in a ~15lb rifle the recoil would be negligible if not almost no existent.

To be honest I've never considered a 243 for F- class competition. I will look into the round.

Thanks

For 600-1000 yard steels, common ammo availability, extra killing power is not a necessity...

Why not just build a .30-06? Great barrel life, heavier bullets for better wind bucking, more velocity than your .308.

Sounds dumb, but it would be a good option.

I think the .260 AI would be a better option, but finding ammo for it at Wally World isn't gonna happen...

I say go with the 260 Remington. You can find ammo in some store but when you start reloading you will be able to get lapua brass that lasts a very long time. The 6.5mm bullets have great BCs in the 139 and 140gn flavors, it bucks the wind well, flat trajectory, very easy on the shoulder and if push came to shove, look at all of that 308 brass that can find a new life as 260 brass. It's an all around great, rediscovered round that is a workhorse for its small stature.

To be honest I've never considered a 243 for F- class competition. I will look into the round.

Thanks

The 243. win or even the AI version again would make an awesome rifle! with the ability to push the 105 VLD's with a high BC up in the 2900-3050 FPS on the regular 243. win and 115 VLD's/DTAC's at the same speed some times higher! makes for a fantastic target/F-class rifle! Bucks the wind way better then the 308 with a heck of a lot less drop and still packs a punch incase you ever decide theres a nice looking ground hog sitting out there! Lots of brass (winchester, remington, lapua, hornady and i believe nosler) and tons of loaded ammo. Lots of good hunting and target bullets!

I would seriously consider the .243 AI in a 1:8" or 1:7" twist in a 28/30" barrel for 105gr to the 115gr bullets... It's really not too badly overbore for that weight, and the BC's in that weight range are awesome. This will most likely be my next target/chuck/coyote rifle, stationary of course, due to the weight. I would want to clear F-class specs, but be close to max weight in the rifle itself...

The other considerations, I feel, are the 260 Rem AI, or 284 Win or 6.5x284... Honestly, if its gonna be a target gun, how often are you gonna run to Wally World for "precision target ammo" haha.

You can fire standard 243 Win or 260 Rem out of the AI chambers if needed.

Hey, there's a lot of options out there! It all comes down to personal preference in the end, what you want/need to accomplish your goal. I owned two .308 Win's before, one a 1:12" tactical, one a 1:12" hunter, and my last custom gun i had built in a 1:10" .308 Win... It all depends what you want.

I live in NJ, so one my next build for a chuck/coyote rifle, I'm held to their laws for .257 caliber or less... So .243 AI it will be for me.

Great luck and have fun with the decisions!

Another vote for the 6.5x284. You will gain some velocity over the Creedmore and the 260. I am shooting a 6.5 / 300 wsm and am amazed at its performance out to 1000 yds with 140 gr Berger VLDs. You can also purchase quality Lapua brass for 6.5x284.

If you are going to compete then you have to take a caliber to win in the wind. The 7mm's smoke the 6.5's in wind drift. There is little difference between the three that are available 284, 7 SAUM, 7 WSM progressively more recoil, use the Berger 180. If you are recoil shy the 6mm Dasher is the one for 600 yds hands down. On calm days it's fine for 1000 yds, or take the road in between and go 6.5 of your choice.
You will not find many calibers set up to shoot 1000yds at Walley world so if you're serious forget that option.
wf7MK44ov2EPoqkAEQEiAkQEiAgCREQcRAQRGP8DVYCb0BROuIUAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

wf7MK44ov2EPoqkAEQEiAkQEiAgCREQcRAQRGP8DVYCb0BROuIUAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Here is a headline from AccurateShooter.com that might get you thinking:

Matt Kline Shoots 2.815″ Record at 1000 Yards with 300 WSM

You mentioned the 300 WSM and long range. That happens to be the king of the hill at 1,000 yards right now. The 7mm WSM owns the British record.

Search on this title and checkout the gun he used and how he set it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts