Need help choosing a new rifle.

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by zjfty9, Dec 2, 2008.

1. zjfty9

zjfty9 Active Member

I'm looking at buying a new rifle, but wanted some input and advice before I make my choice. I don't want to spend a lot of money, or should I say I don't have a lot of money to spend on a new rifle. I was looking at Rem 700 SPS, Savage 116, or S&W I-Bolt in .270 win. The gun will be used for deer hunting, with shots under 500 yds. I like Savage, because everyone I've shot has been accurate, but I really like 700 actions. I don't know much about the I-Bolt. It just looks cool. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Savagebien

Savagebien Well-Known Member

buy a gun and shoot it..............

3. longrange.270

longrange.270 Well-Known Member

Yeah, any of those would work. Just get a rifle and start shooting it.

4. hammertyme

hammertyme Well-Known Member

It has been so long since I have purchased a new anything except Savage actions I do not know if Remington brought up the quality of their barrels or not.

I do know that I purchased a Savage in 300 Mag and a Stevens in 338 recently for projects. Both shoot three shots touching out of the box. The Stevens was $274. and the Savage was $150. more I think. (Weather Warrior)

Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply has about anything you want at great prices.

Neal

5. snowpro440

snowpro440 Well-Known Member

savage 10 fp .308 works for me. 1/4 inch groups @ 100 yards. will work for hunting, target shooting or what ever ......take a look , do a little research this is a good shooter ...:rolleyes:gun)

6. Chopaka81

Chopaka81 Well-Known Member

For deer at >500 yds, a Tikka T3 270 Win or WSM. 3.5-10x varible power scope.

7. CentreHit

CentreHit Well-Known Member

Yep, Yep +1 for above. :cool:

I also own a Savage 10FP with HS Precision stock option - which is Fantastic by the way. You can see my rig here.

Cheers.

8. jcoop

jcoop Well-Known Member

Only Savage for me now. Especially if you are not going to do much custom work with it at first. It will just shoot.

9. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Well-Known Member

Go with the Savage or the Remington. If you really get in to it and want to replace a barrel or trigger or get a different stock, you will find more parts available for the Savage and Remington. And they have a proven track record. The I-Bolt does not.

10. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

I would stay away from the I-bolt. The way the bolt removes from the action, it can cause problems during normal shooting. If you put any down force on the bolt while running it back in, it will disengage. Very poor design.

Steve

11. Bear2

Bear2 Active Member

I would go with the Remington. I have several, and the last one I bought was a SPS Stainless. Three shots, factory ammo, and I can cover all three with a dime. With my handloads (powdwer weighed to 0.1 gr. etc.), one slightly oblong hole.
    Duane