Need help in choosing best rifle

thanks for all the tips boys, but i wanted to know if i get a 7mm win mag or ultra mag, will that be sufficient for a grizzly or black bear? I mean i would feel more comfortable with a 300 Win Mag ? Can anyone relate? i dont want to shoot twice or whatever one shot one kill is the motto im looking for.gun)

Any of the 3 will work just fine. Shot placement is the key. The 300WM will have the same energy as a 7RM to a certain distance. After that, the 300 will have more. The RUM will just burn more powder and cost you barrel life, and will only out weight the 300 by a little. If you want the big one, go with a 338 Edge, 338 RUM, 338 Lapua, or 300 RUM. All are very large calibers, but to be honest, none will guarantee a one shot kill. That's completely up to the guy behind the trigger or a head shot.

Tank

thanks for all the tips boys, but i wanted to know if i get a 7mm win mag or ultra mag, will that be sufficient for a grizzly or black bear? I mean i would feel more comfortable with a 300 Win Mag ? Can anyone relate? i dont want to shoot twice or whatever one shot one kill is the motto im looking for.gun)

I do not believe any rifle under a .338 is big enough for hunting grizzlies. There have been a lot of grizzlies shot over the last 100 years with rifles from a .270 Win through the 30-06 -- but that does not mean those rifles are powerful enough to be sure of putting a ****ed-off grizzlie down before he can put you down. A .375 H&H is probably the best grizzlie round as it's enough to stop a grizzlie & light enough most people can shoot it (with a little practice).

Either a 7MM Remington magnum or a 7mm WSM would be sufficient for black bears or deer. If you want to hunt grizzlies & deer, great -- just plan on using at least 2 rifles. Anything big enough & powerful enough to stop a grizzlie would shred a whitetail. Anything fir for shooting a whitetail won't be powerful enough to be a grizzlie stopper.

Hey yall thanks for the Tips. So ive been hearing about the 7mm. Both the rifles i wana get come in a heavy barrel which is fluted. The Sendero comes in either a 7mm wm or wum, and 300 win and ultra. I dont know much about the shooting and or the ammo. 7mm is smaller round correct? im planning on putting a pretty decent scope so either way, accuracy is the same between the 300 and the 7mm? i know 300 packs a more punch? I dunno....

The major difference between 7mag and 300win mag and the ultras is about 14 - 20 more grains of powder. What it really comes down to is when the 7mag and 300win mag are max loaded to point of loosening up the primer pockets the ultra mags are not even stressing the cases.

I've done allot of chronographing of all kinds of rifles. Just like car racing. "When the green flag drops the BS stops!" I would not even own 7mag and 300win mag. I have a wild cat 7 STW and I shot out and sold my 30-378

7mm is .284 inches in dia. It is slightly cheaper to shoot 7mm. With a 175 gr spbt my STW went clear through a nice bull elk lengthwise. It was facing us slightly up hill 185 yards the bullet hit right at the chest and the neck and blew out its high right butt cheek. It knocked it down and did not even move. My 30-378 was set up for 220 - 240 grain bullets and any deer or elk it shot the bullets went right through them.

I am not a one gun person. But if I had the choice of a 7mm or a .30 it would get the nod towards a 7 ultra or 7STW I'm also pro .270 because loaded up correctly I killed a buffalo and the rounds will go through 1/2 inch of steel at 100 yards where your 7mag and 300 win just make impact craters with the heavier bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.