Buying a new gun need help choosing

Ignore him. He's just a jerk that likes to instigate.

Thats just your opinion. A lot of you guys get hostile when I question the idea of why someone sets out to kill elk or ( animals) at extraordinary distances? Not that at some poing one might want to...but why set out with that idea in mind...especially when it requires an $$$ shoulder buster caliber / rifle to do it..???

Have you ever shot any of the big 338's?

If not, I'd strongly suggest you find someone that has one that will let you shoot ten rounds down range with it in a half hour.

If the recoil and blast don't eat you up and make you start flinching then they are all great thousand yard and further rifles.

If it does bother you, then give the 300 Rum and 7mm STW a look.

It dont take many shots to rattle your fillings for sure.. I got to fire a .375 H&H once...well actually twice... The first time and the last time!!!...:D

Thats just your opinion. A lot of you guys get hostile when I question the idea of why someone sets out to kill elk or ( animals) at extraordinary distances? Not that at some poing one might want to...but why set out with that idea in mind...especially when it requires an $$$ shoulder buster caliber / rifle to do it..???

There's a good measure of fact in my statement....

You DO instigate.

That makes YOU a jerk.

Why set out to kill elk or (animals) at extradinary distances? because we want to and because we can. It's a fun challenge and if that challenge requires $$ and a shoulder buster caliber, then so be it.

You did notice that this IS longrangehunting.com

It doesn't take a shoulderbuster.

My 300 Rum is much more pleasant to shoot than my 300wm, or even my dad's 30-06 because it is set up properly with an effective brake and recoil pad.

Hell my nieces at 5 and 7 loved shooting both my 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm STW because again, they are both set up properly.

Don't leave out the lowly 300 and 340 WBY's!!! They are goooood stuff!!

I gotta say, if you are talking 1000 yard elk, I would lean to a 338wby/rum/edge/lapua/378..ect.....

I goota ask....is there no way to have two guns...one big for the LR elk, and one that is managable/cheaper for the LR comp?

My Idea.....SWITCH BBL. Get a magnum with a .532 bolt face.....338 rum/ edge for the elk and a 7mm or 300 short mag, either rem or win short mags for the comp.

Trust me....slinging 300 grain Bergers at a buck a pop will get MONDO expensive!!!!

Best of both worlds, one stock, one action, one scope. The only added expence is the second bbl/smith work, some dies, and an action wrench.

I have one that I switch between a 300 wby and a 6.5 WSSM.

Good luck, and by the way...SCREW THE IDEA OF GETTING CLOSER.....NO FUN AT ALL!!!!

Just kidding....(sort of) :D

There's a good measure of fact in my statement....

You DO instigate.

That makes YOU a jerk.

Why set out to kill elk or (animals) at extradinary distances? because we want to and because we can. It's a fun challenge and if that challenge requires $$ and a shoulder buster caliber, then so be it.

You did notice that this IS longrangehunting.com

And the fact that it IS such a place is why Im here. But the ABILITY to do so doesnt mean you are REQUIRED to do so....BIG difference. And as in another thread...the ABILITY to kill an elk...in this case...with a Sheridan pellet rifle at "X" yardage..doesnt mean you SHOULD even try it. After all...why not use a 50 cal Browning cartridge at do it at 2000 yards..???

If someone had been tracking a trophy bull for a "long time" and FINALLY got the chance to take him at extreme long range...Id be the first to say "BUST HIM"...but Id never set out with the intention of doing it from the other side of the USA..."just because I could"..

And the fact that it IS such a place is why Im here. But the ABILITY to do so doesnt mean you are REQUIRED to do so....BIG difference. And as in another thread...the ABILITY to kill an elk...in this case...with a Sheridan pellet rifle at "X" yardage..doesnt mean you SHOULD even try it. After all...why not use a 50 cal Browning cartridge at do it at 2000 yards..???

If someone had been tracking a trophy bull for a "long time" and FINALLY got the chance to take him at extreme long range...Id be the first to say "BUST HIM"...but Id never set out with the intention of doing it from the other side of the USA..."just because I could"..

Do us all a favor and just go away.

It's the reason this website and forum exist.

If you have a problem with "long range hunting" maybe you would be more comfortable at "huntingwithsharpsticks.com" or "Clubbingbabysealsforfun.com" or "huntingprehistoric.com".

I dont have a problem with this BB at all...but when someone asks for a "1000 yard elk gun" and brackets his choices with 6.5/284 and 338 Lapua something jumps right up and tells me he isnt a "hunter" he wants to be a long range sniper for elk

I dont have a problem with this BB at all...but when someone asks for a "1000 yard elk gun" and brackets his choices with 6.5/284 and 338 Lapua something jumps right up and tells me he isnt a "hunter" he wants to be a long range sniper for elk

Sully,

I am not going to tell you to go away...That's just not me. But what you are alluding to in your above posts is "Hunting ethics".

I am pretty sure it was made clear buy the owner/opperator of this web site that this subject is vorbotten here at LRH.

Just sayin.

With that concept in mind why set out to do anything....why try and go to the moon, someone might die? why try and cure cancer....why use a long bow..the compund is so much easier...etc

You can take it from any angle you want...like why dont we all just sit around and stare at each other.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts