need help choosing a stock

rjackh

i have a r700 sps v that im upgrading. ive been looking at manners stocks but cant decide what to get. i really like the tactical look of the T2 and the T4 is basically the same but with a butt hook which i like also. i just cant decide if these would be that practical for hunting. any suggestions? id like to stay away from mcmillan since theyre more pricey and much longer wait. T3 seems promising but i think i like the T2/4 more. i just dont want to get funny looks at deer camp when i pull out a rifle that seems like it should be in iraq to go to the deer stand with. i dont do any sort of backpack hunting where i pack in and pack out. i hunt whitetail, pigs and varmints from blinds and spot and stalk. thanks.

Have you looked at the Stockys stocks ready to go. He is a sponsor here.

Laminated in variety of colors, clear coated, inletted and recoil pad for $300 and under.

IMO I would not get them pillared from stockys. No way to match up perfectly to your action. Go ahead and have your smith pillar and bed them.

BH

I'm fond of the McMillan Remington Varmint pattern on varminty builds. The ergos are great. I'll likely order another soon for a 260 build and the price is about $450. That stock is based on the old Sako Varmint pattern, which has been around for quite a while.

Have you looked at the Stockys stocks ready to go. He is a sponsor here.

Laminated in variety of colors, clear coated, inletted and recoil pad for $300 and under.

IMO I would not get them pillared from stockys. No way to match up perfectly to your action. Go ahead and have your smith pillar and bed them.

BH

i like the look of those bobby hart LRT laminated stocks

*NEW!* Bobby Hart Long Range Target / Tactical (LRT) Remington 700 BDL / Savage 10/12 (4.40) Laminated Heavy Barrel Riflestocks

just dont know how it would compare to a T2 in the long run. not sure which would be a better buy. anyone have one of these stocks that could chime in?

ttt

also checked out russo stocks, those things are pretty slick looking.

whether i have a custom wood one made on a design i like or stick with a manners, i think im down to choosing between a T2 or T3. i feel like a t3 is more suited to hunting, while a t2 is more for punching paper, but both stocks could do well in both situations. any input on that?

I just recently had my first dealing with Manners on one of their T2's for a Howa build I'm doing and they have been awesome to deal with and it was right at a 2mnth wait time.

I went with a T2 on this Howa build but I really like the looks of the MCS-T1 with it's slimmer forend. I'm not so sure that won't be my next stock, a Manners MCS-T1

I have the Bobby Hart LR stock on a 6.5x47 tactical and well worth the money. However, do not get it pillared by Stocky. No way to match the exact fit and mine pulled out.

Go ahead save the $100 and have your smith pillar and bed it right.

IMO one of the best deals for a stock out there.

BH

Hands down Mcmillans general purpose hunting stock is my favorite stock for a hunting or varmit stock i have about 4 of these but got tired of waiting and paying for them so i bought a manners for my 6.5x47 and i HATE it the butt pad looks like a kid put it on and it seems to be heavier than the mcmillans too. I have also bought 2( one Varmit for howa and one A-5 for Rem LA ) bell and carlson stocks from Stockys and love them both they were easy to fit and bed for a fraction of the money as the other brands ! Just my 2 Cents

I have the Bobby Hart LR stock on a 6.5x47 tactical and well worth the money. However, do not get it pillared by Stocky. No way to match the exact fit and mine pulled out.

Go ahead save the $100 and have your smith pillar and bed it right.

IMO one of the best deals for a stock out there.

BH

+1

The laminates have many strengths and very few weaknesses and I highly recomend them
for accuracy,balance and many styles that are available.

I have some of almost every style and like them a lot. I also have a couple of the Russo stocks
and love them.

With a good pillar bedding the laminates will equal any stock money can buy for accuracy but
they are a little heaver (Less than 6 or 8 oz).

J E CUSTOM

Hands down Mcmillans general purpose hunting stock is my favorite stock for a hunting or varmit stock i have about 4 of these but got tired of waiting and paying for them so i bought a manners for my 6.5x47 and i HATE it the butt pad looks like a kid put it on and it seems to be heavier than the mcmillans too. I have also bought 2( one Varmit for howa and one A-5 for Rem LA ) bell and carlson stocks from Stockys and love them both they were easy to fit and bed for a fraction of the money as the other brands ! Just my 2 Cents

what manners did you have? i have read a lot of ppl complaining about the low comb on the mcm htg. seems like manners t or t3 fixes this problem. your the first person ive ever heard complain about the fit and finish of any manners stock.

My vote is for the stocky. Very strong and nice craftsmanship.
I put a stocky thumbhole laminate on my custom 300RUM and haven't looked back.

+1 on stockys. I have a classic thumbhole on my 300rum, a Bobby Hart with bedding block on order, and a friend has the Bobby Hart with pillars put in but a local smith. They are fantastic! !!

I have owned 6 Manners stocks and every one is top notch.
The GAT thumbhole is a great stock, had it on a 7 STW that I sold 2 years ago. Very comfortable to shoot from prone, and the thumbhole grip helped tame recoil.
I have had the T2 and like it alot. You can make aiming adjustments by sliding forward or back on your rear sandbag. Very comfortable verticle grip, but not the best stock for offhand shooting, more of a prone stock, as well as the T4
The one stock I have not had is their MCS-T which to me looks like a very good stock for both prone shooting and the occasional off hand shot if it presents itself.
I have a T4 on a 6.5 and it is great with a rear bag as well.
You need to decide what style of shooting and hunting you will mostly be doing to determine what stock to get.
If you will be mainly stalking and shooting offhand or from sticks, a standard HS stock with aluminum bedding block or Manners MCS-T would be a very good choice.
If most of your hunting will involve prone shooting, I would look at the T2/T4 and even the MCS-T and HS would do as well.
My opinion is biased as Manners and HS are the only stocks I have owned, besides a custom Russo.

After dealing with Hs's mcmillans manners and almost every other stock mentioned I lean towards the Hs. the same stock as the old sendero just fits me better than anything else so far. Not that I dont like my mcmillans just I dont like them as much

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.