Deer Hunting with an AR15

superdave24

I know I know......there is lots of controversy about this and I have read about all the concerns hunting deer this way.

In the mean time while I'm looking for a new hunting rifle and until I find the right one I have an AR-15 5.56 NATO that was built for precision. IF.....I go hunting with it what type of ammunition would be recommended for killing the deer and not wounding it? I'm not interested in a Trophy deer at this time, something on the smaller scale.

Thanks,

Dave

I know I know......there is lots of controversy about this and I have read about all the concerns hunting deer this way.

In the mean time while I'm looking for a new hunting rifle and until I find the right one I have an AR-15 5.56 NATO that was built for precision. IF.....I go hunting with it what type of ammunition would be recommended for killing the deer and not wounding it? I'm not interested in a Trophy deer at this time, something on the smaller scale.

Thanks,

Dave

There is nothing wrong with deer hunting with an .223 "IF" proper bullet are used, limited range and shot placement is made.

I would use a 55 to 70 grain soft nose bullet for chest shots and almost any bullet weight for head shots.

I personally would not go hunting deer with a .223, But if I were hunting and found myself within
the energy and accuracy range I might decide to use it on a non trophy deer and Head shoot him.

Ethics are using the rifle you have in the proper way that will assure 100% success, not using certain calibers. (Big bores can be miss used also).

So, know your weapon and its limits and use good judgment and you will do ok until you can improve the odds and performance by using a larger caliber more suited for deer.

I am over cautious and believe that a 6.5 is about the smallest caliber that should be used on deer.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

I have told this story before and I will tell it again. My cousin's started their hunting careers when they were like 6 with a TC Encore that had a custom stock their Pap ( my uncle) built for them with a really short L.O.P. because they were so small. The Encore was originally .222 but to make a long story short my Uncle rechambered it to .223 because the previous owner gauged the chamber with a pen knife. Their pet load for deer was a very mild charge pushing a 50gr Nosler BT under 2900fps. They put the crosshairs right on the shoulder and dropped every deer they shot at. The younger of my two cousins now uses a .243 and has taken a truck load of deer with it and has never lost one with it either. He also uses a rather unorthodox load in it, an 87 V-MAX with a mild charge going 2850fps. Seems these varmint bullets turn into rather great medium game slugs once slowed down! gun)

Now I don't recommend using such a soft projectile for deer, but its not hard to kill a whitetail. I would lean more towards a bonded bullet, solid copper, or a heavier projectile at moderate speeds so you have consistent reliable expansion. Look into the Hornady 70gr GMX, Nosler 64gr Bonded Performance, or a more conventional slug such as the Sierra 65gr GameKing.

Absolutely nothing wrong with using it. Again pick the right bullet. I prefer in this order federal premium nosler partition, fed fusion, corbon loaded with Barnes or winchester razorback xt. Any of these will do the job well if you do your part. I have had no problems with them here in Mich.

I hear that I should use the .223 instead of the 5.56 round. Any suggestions?

The 5.56 brass will have a little more pressure because it is thicker so you might have to back your load off a little. Other than that, not much different.

I hear that I should use the .223 instead of the 5.56 round. Any suggestions?

Bullet choice is key. I'd go with a good bonded or solid copper mono. Also if you want a dedicated AR check out the 6.5 Grendel.

Last month my Grendel was used to take three mule deer, From 80 to 300 yards the round was devastating. When the shooter did there part the Grendel wacked and stacked 'em.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.